IGNORED

Bioshock on apple II

Jackel192

i want to make a text only version of Bioshock for the apple II. two problems:

1. the text s squished together when i write the scenarios and

2. is there an outside program i can use to create picture graphics for the Apple II (like in the hobbit)

also, is there an alternative to the REM statement? I tied it and kept getting a syntax error.

it's very compressed, i'm only putting in the plane crash, the arrival in rapture and maybe a few scattered fights here and there. if I can squeeze in a big daddy fight then that would be cool.

when i'm finished, is there a way to upload the file onto here? Its meant to be a free download.

10 print "the plane has crashed. you see the wreckage of the plane on the water and fire everywhere. in the distance there is a lighthouse"

20 input a$ (need help if the IF statement for player input i.e if 10="open door" goto 50 etc)

30 rem the lighthouse interior has a banner reading no gods or kings only men.

40 rem bathysphere ride

50 rem splicer encounter

60 print "would you kindly pick up that shortwave radio?"

70 rem splicer is fired upon by turret and shortly afterward, you inject yourself with the plasmid. you fall unconscious and two splicers show up, then a big daddy

you wake up

70 syntax error

You need to look at how other BASIC adventures are written before you go further.

One of the first steps, is to write a command parser that has a vocabulary of usable commands.

I think I'd skip BASIC and use an interactive fiction tool. You have a good idea for a game and it's going to be limited by BASIC.

I don't get a syntax error from 70., but this is how I pasted it into the emulator:

70 rem splicer is fired upon by turret and shortly afterward, you inject yourself with the plasmid. you fall unconscious and two splicers show up, then a big daddy you wake up

REM statements are only for your own orientation. They don't display anything on screen or have other use (*) so unless you need very detailed reminders what the code actually does, you can keep them far shorter. I agree with JamesD, if you want to make a text adventure, try to study one of the existing engines. There are decent ones in BASIC that take the verb + noun syntax and can dispatch into different subroutines as required. I think your current approach, if it is an approach at all and not just scribbling around, will soon get you stuck.

(*) Well, on some computers like the ZX-81 you store machine code data inside REM statements as there is no other way to reserve memory in a BASIC program IIRC, but that doesn't shouldn't apply on the Apple ][ series. I think I've seen a few VIC-20 games doing the same for some unknown reason.

Edited by carlsson

hidden footage? i'm simply trying to make a text game Zylon.

You might want to consider using something more purpose-built like Eamon for creating your game. At your present skill level in BASIC you'd probably only be able to make something no more sophisticated than a choose-your-own-adventure type game at best.

I'm no programmer either, but I dabbled in creating my own mini text adventure for a competition all the way back in 2006. This one restricted you to doing it only 2K: http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/1st_Annual_1_to_2K_Classic_Text_Adventure_Competition . I did mine in QuickBASIC for PC DOS, but the concept is probably applicable to what you're doing. Because of my lack of skill and the 2K requirement, I basically hard-coded everything, including all the possible words a person could use. It gave the illusion of a text adventure without all the logic behind-the-scenes. If you're sticking with BASIC, you may want to try a simple puzzle room to start (basically what mine was, an escape room), and then go from there as your skill level increases.

hidden footage? i'm simply trying to make a text game Zylon.

Okay, let me rephrase.

Have you ever written a functional computer program in your life? Because if not, something as complex as a text adventure is not the best way to start, especially when you're someone who doesn't even understand what REM does, and says nonsensical things like that your text is being squished together, which is nonsensical because the Apple II text mode is fixed-width and doesn't squish.

So I'd recommend you dig up an Applesoft BASIC tutorial from somewhere and work your way through that first, OR give up on the whole Apple II thing and just use an online adventure maker, like this one: http://textadventures.co.uk/

what programs do you recommend? are there any graphics programs for the apple II?

If you pick something that works with the Z-Machine (Infocom's interpreter), the text will work on a lot of old machines and new ones.

Inform seems to be a popular tool among Interactive Fiction Devs,

Here is the Inform page

http://inform7.com/

Here's a wiki on different Interactive Fiction tools

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_fiction#Development_systems

I found a solution. i'm using twine

But does Twine support the Apple II?

• Like 1

If you pick something that works with the Z-Machine (Infocom's interpreter), the text will work on a lot of old machines and new ones.

Inform seems to be a popular tool among Interactive Fiction Devs,

Here is the Inform page

http://inform7.com/

I'll warn you that there isn't a very good Z5 interpreter for the //e. The one my tools use, Version A from Beyond Zork, makes all sorts of visual glitches and I haven't been able to inject games into disks with the other interpreters.

Is there a max line length in Applesoft BASIC, it's been a long time and I don't recall? The rem statement in line 70 is 176 characters. Maybe try splitting it into two lines.

Keyboard Input Buffer is 255 Character, ( It's at Memory Locations 0x200-0x2FF ), So BASIC Lines can't be by longer than that..

And are probably shorter..

MarkO