IGNORED

Worst 2600 game ever...and the winner is...

Tidus79001

Fire Fighter!

There I have said it. Need I say anything more?

This is a tale of horror. Be forewarned!

The year is 1982 and I get a nice remote control car for Christmas, but wait the car is broken. Lets go exchange it for a new one, but wait...they are out remote control cars like the one that isn't working. No worries, let just exchange it for something else.

Mom: What would you like?

Me: I don't know

Mom: How about a video game?

Me: Which one

Mom: Here is Fire Fighter video game

Me: Ok, lets go with that one

That was all tongue in cheek (my rant that is, but it is a true account of how I discovered the worst 2600 game and WORST CHRISTMAS GIFT EVER). Fire Fighter is a game truly fit for the ones you LOATHE (not love)!

OMG, such an awful game. Who the hell gave it reviews of between 60 - 75%. Seriously the game is the worst. Awful graphics, hideous sounds, sadistic control scheme, and the most boring dull game play ever conceived. Hell even letting the building get totally consumed in flames is more fun than actually putting the fire out, BUT they even ruin that as the building will not burn down and flame burn out all the while with the idiot at the top waving his hands around as if I should care if he burn up or not (sadly he never does). Yeah, Imagic they really know how the suck all of the fun out a game. They should have tossed the code for the game and all the cartridges into a burning building.

People say that E.T. is a bad game but in my opinion it really isn't . It is misunderstood and not that bad if you bother to read the manual. If you want a bad E.T game try out E.T.: Interplanetary Mission on the PS1. That is the game that should have been buried in the dessert instead of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the 2600. I mean did they go out of their way to make it that bad in a attempt to make it worse that what was on the 2600 (which I don't think is really all that bad by 2600 standards)?

I would rather be stuck playing E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for all eternity than being subjected to Fire Fighter.

:)

I don't know if it's the worst game ever (there are some real stinkers) but it was certainly a disappointment. I really really really wanted this game and was so excited when I finally found it at the store. Imagic games were hard to find in the small town I grew up in. I think the graphics are fine but there's no real game play. Gets way too boring way too fast. Why even bother putting out flames. I haven't played it in years but it seemed faster to just put the ladder in the right spot and run up and grab him. I still think this had the potential to be a great game.

I need to play Towering Inferno. I've heard it's much better but I haven't tried it.

• Like 2

Couldn't resist. Appears he has the same feelings about this game as you.

Enjoy.

It's all good :)

Just fun to remember this gams and how it will always stick with me as the worst video game ever :)

I don't know if it's the worst game ever (there are some real stinkers) but it was certainly a disappointment. I really really really wanted this game and was so excited when I finally found it at the store. Imagic games were hard to find in the small town I grew up in. I think the graphics are fine but there's no real game play. Gets way too boring way too fast. Why even bother putting out flames. I haven't played it in years but it seemed faster to just put the ladder in the right spot and run up and grab him. I still think this had the potential to be a great game.

I need to play Towering Inferno. I've heard it's much better but I haven't tried it.

It has potential but not much going on there to warrant calling that finished product. It needed much more in terms of gameplay variety and challenge to be considered a real game. it was more like a bad demo concept for a game.

This game also received a "D" from The Video Game Critic and a "D+" from his readers. Who gave it a good review?

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=176

70 and 75% is WAY better than this game deserves. I am going to give it a nice 20% and if I was really generous maybe 30%

Fire_Fighter.png

Edited by Tidus79001

I actually don't recall ever playing this game.

I didn't have it, and don't recall any of my friends having it.

I did have Towering Inferno and remember liking that game pretty well. Fire Fighter looks a bit too on the boring side.

It is available here on AtariAge. Download the ROM. I promise that you'll be sorry that you did. Remember time spent wasted on this game is time in your life that you will never get back. :-D

Edited by Tidus79001

I remember a rainy, cold and dreary day in the 80's...

I was at a department store near my house. I wanted to buy an Atari game but nothing was jumping out at me. I took a chance and bought Towering Inferno...$24.95 at Grand Central. So glad I did !!

And there must have been some promotion going on because I can see the bottom of the box on it, and on my Space Jockey, where the "Proof of Purchase" was, has been cut off...Though I don't recall what for.

I haven't played Fire Fighter, but I'm gonna have to plug in the Harmony and just see how bad it is...

• Like 1

Awww, it's an Imagic game. They were all good and fun, and had shiny labels! <--- REVISIONIST HISTORY, BECAUSE I'M NOT PLAYING THAT OLD GAME

Towering Inferno is bleh, like a vacuuming simulator.

Either one of those is better than HELICOPTER RESCUE! on the Odyssey 2. It was on a 2-pack with a passable Lunar Lander game called OUT OF THIS WORLD! (capital letters and exclamation points are theirs)

https://youtu.be/SjQ8Iiv42Pw?t=2m57s

You never played Pac-Kong, right?

8)

Tried it. It isn't a perfect game but is much more interesting and the more variety in the game play. I would buy this game over Fire Fighter

As long as you're trying out bad games, try Sea Hunt.

Again not a perfect game but is much more interesting and the more variety in the game play. I would buy this game over Fire Fighter

Try Ssnake. Bad centipede ripoff.

Hmmmm, this one. Now it suffer more from being repetitive than anything else. A few tweaks to the game play and it is passable. Still I would take this game over Fire Fighter.

Imagic is known for some very good game but unfortunately Fire Fighter wasn't on of them. Fire Fighter was just lazy and that the couldn't see it or still just published it to make a buck is sad.

I have to agree, Fire Fighter was a good concept but poorly executed.

I like fire fighter and used to spray the guy in the windows. Bar code scanner at Walmart cash registers sounds like jumping sound in fire fighter.

To each their own. Not knocking anyone if they like it. Just isn't a game that I am fond of myself :)

• Like 1

Firefighter isn't that bad. It's not good, but not bad for a pick up and play game. As a kid, my uncle and I used to see who can get the best time. Don't remember who won. That's the best thing about this game. To see who can get the best time. As a 1 player game, there are way better games. Real Sports Baseball on the other hand, is a way worst game then Firefighter.

• Like 1

Strange, everyone else in the world thinks it's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial :grin:

But I know it isn't...

I think E.T suffered more from being a misunderstood game rather than an actual terrible game. I found E.T playable whereas I find Fire Fighter to just be god awful.

The game doesn't look like any fun to play, but I have to say the graphics are okay for 2600. I mean, it actually looks like a fireman in a fiiretruck and a burning building. The guy on the roof is a nice touch. Anytime you don't have to use your imagination to figure out what the graphic is on VCS, that's a win.

CGR did a review of this too:

• Like 3