IGNORED

Something's fishy about these WiiU auctions

amiman99

Here is a link to an auction for a Wii U with games:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii-U-Bundle-Package-Includes-Games-Wii-Remote-and-UltraSensor-Bar-/222623758088?hash=item33d568f708:g:CUsAAOSwnllZljcM

Now look at this one, same picture, different seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii-U-Bundle-Includes-Console-Games-and-More-/263191582374?hash=item3d4770d6a6:g:ud4AAOSwL4BZsHwG

Similar description.

I have seen others too, prices are cheap, auctions are ended, and then relisted.

Anyone seen that before?

Fishy!

Edited by amiman99

I've seen ebay listing for like new 5200 system very cheap, Google image search showed it was stolen picture from a very old auction (not eBay). I've seen listing for laptops that were about 20% of typical price, reverse image search also showed it was stolen, and many more.

All of those are shipping from China. 9 out of 10 times the listing were deleted within 24 hours of my finding them so eBay are probably watching and are killing suspicious auctions.

If it ships from China and is too good to be true or is using stolen image, it's a scam. I suspect the scam works by wasting buyer's time until they can't get refund from any sources. They use fake tracking stuff, and if the buyer complains, the seller offers to replace "lost" item. If the buyer opens dispute, the seller offers to replace "lost" item and hope buyer forgets to escalate within the 1 month time limit.

And then there's lazy sellers who doesn't bother to take picture but find picture of the exact same thing, right down to the same games and steals those.

added: if it's legit auction with stolen picture, the seller can be on the hook for: scratches or defects that is visible on item but not shown on picture, color (picture shows black wiimote, buyer gets white one), or missing item (picture shows WiiU pad stand but not mentioned in description)

Edited by 7800fan
  • Like 1

Yeah those are weird. First seller has 0 feedback. Second seller has been inactive for more than a year (as far back as Ebay goes) and then suddenly posts this one auction.

My guess is that both are scams. Another thing that points to them being the same guy is that both listings are in Midlothian, Illinois.

The only real alternative, non-sketchy possibility is that the buyer of the original auction is having buyer's remorse and just put the whole package back up for sale using the same pics.

Personally I don't like to buy from "0" Feedback sellers, I know you have to start from 0 at first, but still.

I was watching that sellers auction, first he listed with Buy It Now for around $200 and something and start auction at $100 something. then few hours later he lowered the price to $185 or so.

Then the auction started, someone put their first bid and disabled the Buy In Now.

When the auction was over, few days later, it was relisted.

And now, different seller, same picture.

I'm watching the Wii U auctions because I want to get one.

Personally I don't like to buy from "0" Feedback sellers, I know you have to start from 0 at first, but still.

I was watching that sellers auction, first he listed with Buy It Now for around $200 and something and start auction at $100 something. then few hours later he lowered the price to $185 or so.

Then the auction started, someone put their first bid and disabled the Buy In Now.

When the auction was over, few days later, it was relisted.

And now, different seller, same picture.

I'm watching the Wii U auctions because I want to get one.

Have you tried Craigslist or Letgo? I prefer these sites as I can see the item in person before paying.

So it's grammar problem, not spelling...

How about: "Something's fishy going on with these WiiU auctions" ? Would that be correct also?

He said typo, not spelling.

I would say, "something's fishy about these WiiU auctions" or "something's going on with these fishy WiiU auctions."

I would not say, "Susan is orange running down the street" but rather "Susan is running down the orange street."

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/adjective-and-verb-placement/