IGNORED

RMT source code?

Mr_Mary

long story short, I've been looking far and wide for the RMT source code for a possible rewrite (I am not going to do it, but maybe if someone else got such a brilliant idea they've had an easier time).

Before you ask, no, Google did not help.

So I'm turning to You, fine people of AtariAge.

• 2 weeks later...

I know people who have the source codes personally. Thing is they were quite reluctant in giving them away. I guess it would depend on what you plan to do with it.

For example I have so many issues with RMT that no simple modification would solve it .. I want completely new software. But I don't have time for that :-D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/10/2017 at 1:56 PM, emkay said:

Any useful version around?

enotracker is not compiling on Debian Buster. Maybe some incompatibilty issue with a newer version of D Language or something else.

Nobody has written a RMT code player for Atari??? @ivop any news on that? The (R.I.P.) original author has died, so I was wondering if someone else had the maintaining job for this piece of software...

1 hour ago, gianlucarenzi said:

Are you compiling that code in a REAL Atari? Which assembler? Or those codes can be assembled in a Linux enviroment with some assembler? I have cc65 and atasm.

I use them with MADS on windows. Not sure if they are meant for some specific assembler. Btw. I understand the code quite a bit, a was rewriting big portion of it recently for my current yet undisclosed project, so if you have some question or specific problem, ask away.

Also from people going on AA I'm probably closest to Raster and I actually have access to the original source codes. They are not public though. I'm personally more interested in completely new tracker, rather than extending RMT, but it always depends on what exactly you want.

• Like 4

Hi!

5 hours ago, gianlucarenzi said:

Are you compiling that code in a REAL Atari? Which assembler? Or those codes can be assembled in a Linux enviroment with some assembler? I have cc65 and atasm.

Here https://github.com/dmsc/rmt-cc65 is a version of the RMT player converted to CA65 syntax, including usage examples in C and FastBasic that calls into the player.

Also, there is a tool included that can transform a RMT file to a relocatable "source" assembly file, this can be reassembled at any address.

Have Fun!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, gianlucarenzi said:

No, the source code was meant for the XASM cross-assembler. As others pointed out, adjustments were needed to assemble with MADS, ATASM or CA65.

It was never meant to be assembled directly on Atari. 

So, theoretically, if we have RMT format description and source code of the player routine, a skilled programmer should be able to write completely new tracker GUI for Windows. Not an easy task, it took Radek 6 years from the first beta to the latest 1.28. On the other hand RMT seems to be based on MFC and WIN32 APIs. with C#, the development would probably go faster.

One is wondering how popular is RMT among musicians and developers in comparison with native CMC, TMC and others.

33 minutes ago, baktra said:

One is wondering how popular is RMT among musicians and developers in comparison with native CMC, TMC and others.

I think this has to do with the modern interface many of us use to code for the ATARI. working on modern platforms is sometimes easier, than on original hardware. Musicians could see it the same way. If there would be a CMC or TMC tracker on other plattform, I think they would be used more.

If anybody were to write an RMT editor/player from scratch, please do not use MFC/C#/.NET and the likes, but keep it cross-platform. Qt5 springs to mind, for the interface, and plain C++, used as C with classes and ignore all the bloated language features.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, ivop said:

If anybody were to write an RMT editor/player from scratch, please do not use MFC/C#/.NET and the likes, but keep it cross-platform. Qt5 springs to mind, for the interface, and plain C++, used as C with classes and ignore all the bloated language features.

C# and .NET are fully cross platform are they not?  MONO should run everything .NET

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

C# and .NET are fully cross platform are they not?  MONO should run everything .NET

True, but it's enormously bloated. Qt has become leaner and leaner throughout the years. I'm not a particularly huge fan of Qt5 or C++, but GUI libraries is where OOP actually makes sense IMO. Alot of other problems don't need OO at all, but the kids learned it at school (C++ or Java), so everything becomes a class instead of just a function. If you look at the source code of Xfree86/Xorg, ffmpeg and GTK+ where they try OOP in C, you'll see it works, but it is a lot of hackish C and preprocessor directives. That's why I opt for a C++ cross-platform GUI library and plain C/C++ for the rest.

But if I have to run mono for a new RMT editor, I will ;)

• Thanks 1