IGNORED

Atari E.T. had a unauthorized port!

SoulBlazer

So I was watching some videos today on YouTube and came across this. This may be old news to everyone here, but this is the first time I'd heard about this.

The TLDR version -- there was a small and short lived computer company in England that did ripoffs...I mean, 'inspired' ports of popular Atari games, and they stole the Atari 2600 E.T. game idea, made some changes to it, and released it on the ZX Spectrum -- with voice!

Also stick with the first minute, the guy is playing it up on purpose. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwdOZjS6N4U&t=3s

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 4

MegaManFan, on 13 Sept 2017 - 9:37 PM, said:

Larry Bundy (Guru Larry) does good work. I discovered him through recommended videos watching Metal Jesus.

Yeah, I discovered his channel thanks to that video and have listened to all of his recent stuff the last few days at work. (listened since I'm working, but it works fine as a podcast. :) ) I wish he said the sources he used, and the new one on the 'top five games that were released on purpose incomplete' is terrible, but all in all I like his stuff.

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ that is horrible. Never heard of that computer, but if that's what a typical game looked like for it, its a wonder people played games at all.

UKs most famous, and they were proud of it. Most awful "computer" I've ever encountered. Sinclair did stuff which never worked and got an OBE for it. Go figure.

Guy in the video said one thing that made that et better was you could float before hitting the bottom. I could have sworn you could levitate before hitting bottom on 2600 as well, its just the unexpectedness of falling in to start with, coupled with your fall speed likely took people by surprise with insufficient time to react usually.

• Like 1

Well if you could somehow add 32 gigs of RAM to a ColecoVision it won't look better than a PS4. The 2600 did have a palette of 256 colors compared to the Speccy's 16. And that speccy color clash...

I was thinking about this to come to the conclusion why would anyone do that????? The point I was making was that the Spectrum had 48K and somehow they made the game look far worse than the humble 2600 version. I never said anything about converting a vintage system into a PS4 so perhaps you should read my question again with a little more clarity?

UKs most famous, and they were proud of it. Most awful "computer" I've ever encountered. Sinclair did stuff which never worked and got an OBE for it. Go figure.

It was the system of choice at the time in the UK and went head to head with the C64. To this day I still have friends who will defend the original Spectrum and its wonderful merits although personally I always favoured the C64.

It was the system of choice at the time in the UK and went head to head with the C64. To this day I still have friends who will defend the original Spectrum and its wonderful merits although personally I always favoured the C64.

My neighbour and I, we had the C64/fdd (well, I had an C128/fdd), and the guy below had a Speccy. We always laughed at him.

Mostly the Spectrum was the system of price, not choice.

My neighbour and I, we had the C64/fdd (well, I had an C128/fdd), and the guy below had a Speccy. We always laughed at him.

Mostly the Spectrum was the system of price, not choice.

True, for at school the rich kids all had C64's while the rest had Speccy's. I was the exception for I preferred my 800XL.

I also learned from Larry that Sonic the Hedgehog was used as an enemy in some British computer game before he starred in the Sega Genesis game.

And that it was almost ported to the Amiga & Atari ST computers, which would have been awesome unless Tieritex did the port...

Anyone here ever played the offical ET computer game on the Atari 8-bit? I know it's different but curious how good or bad it is compare to the 2600 "classic".

I have placed it a little. But I got the cartridge at a user group swap without manual, so I never knew what I was doing (sounds familiar? lol) Definitely looks different. You are in a suburb with lots of cookie-cutter houses around.

LOL

Commies vs Speccies.

I was a die hard Commie back in the 80s.

Even programmed some games for it.

Spectrums were laughable, and Speccies defending their machine with its crappy looking games and silly sounding bleeps even more.

'Oversized chocolate bars' we used to call them.

8)