IGNORED

Quad-Joust

gauauu

I mentioned this another thread in relation to the 4-player joystick adapter I'm working on, but thought I'd throw it here also. I'm currently working on a 4-player joust adaptation to go with my joystick adapter, tentatively called "Quad-Joust." It's a super-simple PvP-only joust-style game, mostly meant to demo the adapter I'm working on.

Generally I'd say I'd love to get some feedback, but this is a tricky one to test since the only existing adapter is in my basement :) If you're interested in giving it a try, though, shoot me a message and I can see about getting you a copy of my (slightly buggy) fork of Stella that provides emulation for the adapter.

post-39949-0-85688000-1505014536_thumb.png

post-39949-0-02003000-1505014547_thumb.png

• Like 14

Nope, sure doesn't. I thought about the fact that it would probably work with paddles.

Although really, the idea of a 4-joystick adapter came first, then as I was thinking of games that would be fun to do with it, I thought of joust. If I get time, I'm actually hoping to put a few small 4-player games onto a single cart, to make the whole thing a little more compelling.

• Like 3

I've been trying to convince various people to make joysticks using output that the paddle controllers use. batari BASIC already has 4 player paddle support.

The Batari Basic support should be pretty easy. I actually did most of the Joust code using bB. Adding bB support for this 4 joystick adapter would be a super-tiny library, or just a few small keywords and additions to the main bB transpiler source.

But, then there's the whole problem of having enough sprites for 4 player games too. I'm beyond impressed with what you've described so far :)

The whole reason I ended up using bB at all (which I originally didn't plan to use) was that the DPC+ kernel made it so easy to get a decent multi-sprite kernel up and running quickly. My original plan was to write my own custom kernel and do it all in assembly, but after comparing the amount of time it would take, vs just using the existing DPC+ kernel, I figured I might as well focus my time elsewhere.

• Like 1

If I get time, I'm actually hoping to put a few small 4-player games onto a single cart, to make the whole thing a little more compelling.

After a good night of playtesting joust with my kids, I decided to try adding on another game, this time a combat/tank knockoff. Having a lot of the 4-player framework in place from joust makes for some pretty fast development....

post-39949-0-34248000-1505276517_thumb.png

• Like 3

After a good night of playtesting joust with my kids, I decided to try adding on another game, this time a combat/tank knockoff. Having a lot of the 4-player framework in place from joust makes for some pretty fast development....

4-Player Combat would be epic!

-Allen

I've been trying to convince various people to make joysticks using output that the paddle controllers use. batari BASIC already has 4 player paddle support.

But, then there's the whole problem of having enough sprites for 4 player games too. I'm beyond impressed with what you've described so far :)

My understanding, though, was that the paddle input had very limited usage with batari (read: no DPC+ support, etc.)...

Is this not the case anymore?

Nope, sure doesn't. I thought about the fact that it would probably work with paddles.

Although really, the idea of a 4-joystick adapter came first, then as I was thinking of games that would be fun to do with it, I thought of joust. If I get time, I'm actually hoping to put a few small 4-player games onto a single cart, to make the whole thing a little more compelling.

Thank you! I have been contemplating a similar idea -- a set of 4 player mini games, after realising how few games support 4 players at once.

• Like 1

My understanding, though, was that the paddle input had very limited usage with batari (read: no DPC+ support, etc.)...

Is this not the case anymore?

According to the docs on random terrain's site, they only work on the standard kernel. (Probably because they need to be read multiple times during the kernel)

The code for handling my adapter will be much simpler. You write the joystick number that you want to read to SWCHA, wait a few clock cycles, then read the first joystick as usual, which will give you the status of the joystick you selected.

In bB, I'm currently doing:

asm

lda #$01  ;select joystick 1 (player 2)
    sta SWCHA
end

;...do some other logic to use a few clock cycles

if joy0left then ...;etc

Or if you don't have anything else to do between selecting and reading, a few nop's will do the trick.

(You might even be able to just do

SWCHA = 1

but I didn't test it, and don't know if bB handles that correctly. I guess I should look, should be simple to check.)

• 1 month later...

Just an update...I have 4-player joust, tanks (ie combat) and a vaguely-inspired-by-missile-command bomb defense game ready to demo at PRGE. For any of you going, I'd love to hear your feedback afterwards if you get a chance to try it with a few friends!

• Like 1

Just an update...I have 4-player joust, tanks (ie combat) and a vaguely-inspired-by-missile-command bomb defense game ready to demo at PRGE. For any of you going, I'd love to hear your feedback afterwards if you get a chance to try it with a few friends!

Where shall we find you at PRGE?

Eventually I hope to make a hundred or so of them to sell!

Until then, you'll just have to come try it sometime. I'm only an hour and a half drive from Peoria.... :)

"Sweetie? There's some weird short guy with a long beard at the door for you. He says he's from Peoria??"

• Like 1