IGNORED

silver joysticks versus black joysticks

bradhig1

Internally there are two basic types too as one has flat contacts similar to normal Atari 2600 joysticks while others have raised metal contacts. I've seen the metal types a bit more on the removable joysticks but just about all combinations of flat vs metal, removable vs hard-wired and black vs silver are possible.

Internally there are two basic types too as one has flat contacts similar to normal Atari 2600 joysticks while others have raised metal contacts.

Contacts? I've only ever seen Intellivision-esque membrane circuits inside of Odyssey joysticks.

Whether silver vs. black is better, they're about a wash. The only appreciable difference I can tell (apart from the color) is that the earlier silver ones have a square joystick guide while the guides in the black ones are star-shaped for, theoretically, more precise 8-way control (not that you need to push the stick far enough to hit it anyway). They both work quite well.

• Like 1

Yeah, of all the weak points in the Odyssey 2, I've never had a problem with nor heard anyone complain about the joysticks.

These are my favorite O2 games, I think they hold up fairly well and can give you a good time:

KC Munchkin!

UFO!

Freedom Fighters!

Pick Axe Pete!

Attack of the Timelord!

Turtles!

Killer Bees!

Exclamation points are mandatory!

I actually prefer the silver joysticks, but that is what we had on our system growing up.

Speaking of silver joysticks, the console we had back in the day was silver joysticks that were hard wired to the console. I've never found another console like this. The only other consoles I found with silver sticks (about three) were detachable and the keyboards had a texture to them (not glossy smooth that most OD2s have).

I no longer have my original console, but just to make sure my memory wasn't fuzzy I've confirmed the silver stick/hard wired with my older bother, my father (who bought the console) and my cousin (who was around a lot when I was younger. He had the hard wired black stick version at his house).

I've put together my own sliver joystick hardwired system as I wanted to have the console I remember, but I've never actually found a hardwired sliver stick console since I started collecting.

Have any of you guys ever owned/found a hardwired sliver stick console?