IGNORED

Fight For Life - Not as good as it could have been?

LianneJaguar64

Searching even further shows that hardcore gaming did a piece on fight for life in may this year http://hardcoregaming101.net/kusoge/kusoge-fightforlife.htm they just mention that he didn't get paid for 4 months and so withheld final delivery according to internet lore.

The interview he gave, not the lost one on here, also says he wasn't paid on time and so delivered it late, but was paid http://www.atarihq.com/jaglynx/bertrand.html

Really beginning to think this is a bit um, not exactly true.

Edited by Welshworrier
  • Like 3

Searching even further shows that hardcore gaming did a piece on fight for life in may this year http://hardcoregaming101.net/kusoge/kusoge-fightforlife.htm they just mention that he didn't get paid for 4 months and so withheld final delivery according to internet lore.

The interview he gave, not the lost one on here, also says he wasn't paid on time and so delivered it late, but was paid http://www.atarihq.com/jaglynx/bertrand.html

It's not really very likely to be true. You get future work based on your past. Why would he sabotage his career on purpose?

• Like 4

No doubt about it, Atari didn't handle the whole project well. Even if what half of the story is true.

The fact the programmer himself is indicating that he wasn't paid and delivered it late suggests that some of this is true at least, but how much? Probaly will never know at this point. It's possible that some extra stuff got tacked on to the end. But yeah, I'm inclined to agree the bit about sending the 'beta' version to Atari as finished cause he was angry at them for one reason or another doesn't seem true.

From the Matthew Gosling interview at Justclaws.Atari.org:

What's this I'm hearing about you guys not getting paid for thisgame?....Did you guys get paid salaries for working there?

All the people involved in the project were paid by Caspian software, we all got our salaries. When I say we didn't get paid, I mean that Caspian software was not paid money owed by Atari for the development.

There was a milestone due when Atari received the beta version, and they didn't pay it. All of a sudden, they decided that they didn't like aspects of the game that had been in there since day 1, and unless we completely change everything they won't accept it as a beta version. They kept us hanging on for a month, coming back to us with utterly ridiculous "bugs" (there was a very very small number of genuine bugs, but most of them were just Atari being stupid), and in the end, the company couldn't carry on, and was "put to sleep".

I was laid off, and both me & Chris got new jobs.

A couple of months ago, however, I got internet access at work, and nearly had a heart attack when I saw people on rec.games.video.atari talking about Zero 5 being published by Telegames. We thought that someone must have just spread some bullshit rumour, but the Telegames website suggested otherwise. We had absolutely NO idea that this had happened, we were not consulted at all, and we are still not getting paid for it (Caspian still exists, it never went into receivership).

Atari still maintains that it was not a beta, and sold it to Telegames on the understanding that it was an unfinished product. This doesn't stop Atari from getting a royalty on sales of the "unfinished product", but that royalty is so embarassingly low that if they're that fucking desperate then they're welcome to it as far as I'm concerned.

There are legal reasons (that I can't go into) as to why Caspian is not suing the ass off Atari/Telegames.

Hopefully you can see why the tone of my usenet post came across as a bit angry, you have to understand that I spent a year working flat out (the latter half of which was working around 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week) on a game that never came out, and that is now being published and cashed in on without any of the people who created it being consulted in any way. It's Atari that are the scum here, I don't think that Telegames knew the situation, they just bought the rights off Atari.

The money doesn't really bother me, it's the principle - but hey who gives a shit, I got my break into the games industry, Atari are welcome to their $1.50 per cart (oops ...)

And this was mentioned on JEO:

Can I also point out just how BAD the Jag is to program. We had to work

around so many bugs in the hardware. I know some people have experienced

problems with Zero-5 booting when they have a CD unit connected. I can't

comment on this, apart from the fact that Atari never supplied us with a CD

unit to test the game with. Also, the game uses the official Atari boot

code which we had to use. We had written our own code which worked fine,

and was bug free.

In think in the course of the project, we must have received 3 different

versions of Atari's boot code, all with bugs. They simply did not have a

clue about what they were doing.

We also had to fit both the PAL and NTSC versions of the game into a 2MB

cart. There was a lot more we wanted to do, but space would not allow it.

Compare N64 games with Zero-5, but realize that A, they don't have to fit

both NTSC and PAL versions on the same cart, and B, their carts are between

32 and 64Mbits, NOT 16 Mbits!!!!

That's me done...

Bye, and thank you all for your support, and I hope all those left

developing on the Jag have an easier time than we did!

Chris Dillon

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 7

That's my experience.. He's pointed out that yes, he was paid late and yes..press were sent incorrect version for review and yes..Atari did everything they could to delay payment etc..but he was paid.

This really does strike me as the same supposed community experts out there passing off speculation that they read somewhere long ago, might now of gotten parts of it very confused but cannot find the original source to confirm, simply passing it onto others as fact..

There's an awful lot of this within the Jaguar community and it's getting far..far worse due to recent idiot activity..

We all know who's plastering incorrect information all over the Internet without being able to provide credible evidence to back any of it up.

It's pathetic and does the Jaguar no real favours..

But..as long as folks keep using them as credible researchers, just because they have a big online profile..you won't stop it..it will only get worse.

• Like 6

That's my experience.. He's pointed out that yes, he was paid late and yes..press were sent incorrect version for review and yes..Atari did everything they could to delay payment etc..but he was paid.

This really does strike me as the same supposed community experts out there passing off speculation that they read somewhere long ago, might now of gotten parts of it very confused but cannot find the original source to confirm, simply passing it onto others as fact..

There's an awful lot of this within the Jaguar community and it's getting far..far worse due to recent idiot activity..

We all know who's plastering incorrect information all over the Internet without being able to provide credible evidence to back any of it up.

It's pathetic and does the Jaguar no real favours..

But..as long as folks keep using them as credible researchers, just because they have a big online profile..you won't stop it..it will only get worse.

I guess fake news isn't restricted to just CNN :P

• Like 5

You might as well simply refer to those who persist in spreading Fake News..as Legion and have done with it.

They aren't going to provide links to their sources AA they either don't have them or have twisted what was said to present some bizzare alternative universe..

But they will swear blind it's you that are constantly talking utter crap..your of course a troll, known trouble maker, no right in the head and your stalking them..

Yet..as soon as you post a comment online, be it on a forum or YT..hello..there they are quoting you..and eagerly awaiting a reply from you, so as to give them some feeling that what they think actually matters and they've made an impact on you.

Best thing to do is speak to sources direct where possible, share information..not lock it away behind paranoidbullshitersareus IV,whilst copy n pasting what everyone else finds and dropping it your paranoid social media site of choice, proverbial feet as it were saying look what I found..

And let people decide for themselves what really happened.

New info comes to light on a regular basis..so nothing is really set in stone.

But if your source didn't work on a fame for long, slagged off his or her project manager or can't tell if screens are Jaguar..PC or PS1..better to say nothing than ahem..suggest your walled off site has exclusive info from people who worked on the game..

Unreliable info is exactly that..

So,no CNN is far from only Fake News site around..

blah blah blah

I'll make a deal with you.

Instead of coming around the Jaguar forum to point out obvious things, like how the games are 20+ years old and were never worth much attention anyway, I'll just say, "peanut butter."

And you, instead of rehashing some pedantic nerd fight you have with some irrelevant autistic Jagu-fans who don't know shit from Shinola, can simply say, "jelly."

We can save a lot of virtual ink and maybe allow dumb topics to play out on their own. We could be two great things that taste great together in a uniquely American way.

• Like 1

Dunno..it's not really deal season..

Plus..being British..the great taste of America is lost on myself.

How about..

You use the fully functioning Ignore button and that way you don't have to get so carried away about forum posts, espically when my last few have been in reply to other posters?

You never know it might just work.

In fact, i'm going to try it right now..

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...
On 9/12/2017 at 1:27 PM, Clint Thompson said:

Wonder where those came from :ponder: as my sarcasm runs deep.

They came from Curt Vendel who loaned them to Jay Smith for a couple yrs with rights to sell them to support JSIi. After a couple years they were supposed to be released to the public for free. Apparently the deal was never honored and Curt Vendel was so disgusted he reportedly washed his hands of the Jag community.

Now that Curt is gone hopefully the deal will be honored in his memory. 

• Like 1