Clint Thompson

How many of you own an Atari Hotz Box?

When the iPad first debuted, I thought to myself "I wonder when the Hotz software will be ported to it". Well, it's 2019 now and still no dice...

• Like 1

When the iPad first debuted, I thought to myself "I wonder when the Hotz software will be ported to it". Well, it's 2019 now and still no dice...

Yeah, not really sure why that hasn't happened, though I still feel like one is not complete without the other (Hotz software and Hotz Box) and AFAIK, iPads don't offer full pressure sensitive touch yet so it woudln't be possible to emulate the Hotz Box. I'm guessing pricing is the other factor since the current Windows iteration is $199 - not sure what price point it would come to the iOS/etc. store., and in my opinion it's just too expensive unfortunately.

Uploaded a short clip of Kitaro using his custom Hotz controllers in 1994 from An Enchanted Evening Vol 1 - Mandala:

A while back I was finally able to pick up the smaller Hotz wing controller to complete the Hotz setup as what I imagined always being a complete setup. It came with original disks and the large master instructions for the Hotz Translator Atari ST software as well as the original Hotz Trax for W95/W98.

I will say though, that if I would have received the small version instead of the large box at first, my impression of the the device would have been different, whereas I think I would have said to myself: I'm glad I didn't bother getting the bigger version... (but would have always had that wonder lingering in the back of my mind about the larger unit and its capabilities). Having received the large Hotz Box first has me saying: I'm glad I didn't get the smaller version first as I would have missed out on an amazing MIDI controller combination setup and one of the coolest musical input devices I've ever had the joy of experiencing.

post-985-0-73974700-1558925887_thumb.jpg

post-985-0-29060100-1558925911_thumb.jpg

post-985-0-24030100-1558925925_thumb.jpg

post-985-0-51447700-1558925935_thumb.jpg

I even went as far as getting the original stand used in the Atari promotional brochures:

post-985-0-57608600-1558925963_thumb.jpg

post-985-0-47687900-1558925992_thumb.jpg

It's a dream to finally have them both running in tandem and usable on the fly in multiple configurations. I already have quite a few musical compositions possible to iron out that wouldn't have been possible without these, especially from an expressive creative or creation standpoint, as you find yourself doing things you would have never imagined possible trying before.

Eventually I'll dive in deeper at some point and create some in-depth videos to really give an elaborate overview of the setup as a whole and what's possible. If anyone has specific interest points or questions to focus on, please drop a comment below so I can add it to future videos.

• Like 3

Let's hear some samples of your creation.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:05 PM, Wally1 said:

Let's hear some samples of your creation.

Haven't had the time to finalize and record the much more complex stuff I've been toying with but feel like this is an unusual example of what can be done on it in very simple form without the software:

• Like 2

Comparing the large Hotz Box against the smaller unit. Not sure why the large one has what looks to be a printed logo as the top shell definitely has a pad stamped logo while the smaller unit has both top and back stamped. 

If only these things weren’t so rare. I would love to disassemble one to check out the internal goodies but definitely do not want to damage the ribbons and these did not come by cheap for me, so I’m not sure that will happen. 

The smaller unit did not come with a serial number but the large unit is listed as 1061. I’ve seen another unit with the serial number of 069 and one of the original testers unit serial number is handwritten 01002. I suspect Jimmy had envisioned selling possibly over 10,000 units at some point but since the pricing never was realistically low enough for the average consumer, it never happened.

It’s also too bad that the software seemed to be the huge focus with these but I’m guessing after realizing very limited amount of people were willing to pay $2,000+ for one, it was probably a last ditch effort to bring in some sort of revenue since so much time and effort was put into creating and manufacturing these super cool MIDI controllers.

815F5CEE-DF56-4DBA-92C8-432925C5B561.thumb.jpeg.a70355dd4cd766cb007cbbbad43da30b.jpeg

522EDCFC-8B3C-4E53-84B9-C8C648970653.thumb.jpeg.159226c8205678b692ba1b74f9b7de3a.jpeg

922840F9-B9E4-440E-8785-A8FA996F96AA.thumb.jpeg.4bde85ac630ef019094db3f4cc903601.jpeg

4B94C7E1-9422-4498-8830-86B067DD3C21.thumb.jpeg.ff1cf11f506dd12ab7165b9c169f8cd1.jpeg

*notice the original white labels used on other units, mine has a silver reflective label

Not trying to turn this into an advert but since they’re so seemingly rare, figured I would share this Reverb post by someone (Yoram Ariel) who claims to be one of the original testers. If I didn’t already have mine, I would jump on it (also, he’s in Israel):

https://reverb.com/item/23217976-atari-hotz-box-master-unit-hmt130h-1989-blue-black

• Like 1