IGNORED

All AvP computer text

ZylonBane

I thought it would be interesting to extract all the computer text from AvP and post it in a more readable form. This is all from COMPUTER.S in the source code.

Fun fact: Instead of storing all the computer text as strings and using a generalized print routine to display them, Rebellion hard-coded the X/Y coordinates of every single line of text. Like this:

com1text: dc.w 120,30
dc.b ttype_on,"GENERAL LOG",newxy
dc.w 30,70
dc.b "SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCES CANNOT BE",newxy
dc.w 30,80
dc.b "INITIATED WITHOUT SECURITY CARD 10",newxy
dc.w 30,90
dc.b "CLEARANCE. THE CAPTAIN HAS ONE OF",newxy
dc.w 30,100
dc.b "ONLY 2 SECURITY CARDS WITH A",newxy
dc.w 30,110
dc.b "CLEARANCE OF 10",0

These were not good programmers.

Anyway, here you go...

********** text for security computer *****************

comgotxt:
LENA BIOS
SYSTEM INITIALISING _ STANDBY
TESTING RAM ...........................
RAM TEST COMPLETE
VIDEO INITIALISED
AUDIO STATUS OK
INITIALISATION COMPLETE

********** text for the intelligence screens **********

andytext:
ANDREW WHITTAKER
WANTED FOR IMPERSONATING A POLICE OFFICER

miketext:
MIKE BEATON
WANTED FOR WANTON DISREGARD FOR MILESTONES

tobytext:
TOBY HARRISON-BANFIELD
WANTED FOR SULKING IN OFFICE HOURS

stutext:
STUART WILSON
WANTED FOR POSSESSION OF AN AMIGA COMPUTER

********** text for destruction **********

warntext:
WARNING
INITIATING EMERGENCY SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE WILL SHUT DOWN COOLANT SYSTEM ON GOLGOTHA REACTOR CORE RESULTING IN THE DESTRUCTION OF ANYTHING WITHIN A 300KM RADIUS. THIS SEQUENCE CANNOT BE REVERSED ONCE INITIATED

fulldes_text:
EMERGENCY DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INTITIATED
- COUNTDOWN INITIATED
- BLACK BOX JETTISONED
- ESCAPE CAPSULE PREPPED
YOU NOW HAVE TWO MINUTES TO REACH MINIMUM SAFE DISTANCE

********** text for armoury computer *****************

arm_main_txt:
MAIN MENU
ARSENAL
LIEUTENANTS LOG

armourtext:
BODY ARMOUR
FLAMETHROWER
PULSE RIFLE
SHOTGUN
SMART GUN

********** text for the lieutenants log **********

logtext:
LIEUTENANTS LOG
PURPLES LOG STARDATE 2435.1
WHILST CRUISING ABOARD THE STARSHIP PALO ALTO WE ENCOUNTERED A STRANGE LIFEFORM

********** text for the creature screens **********

alientext:
SPECIES: XT
ATMOSPHERE: HIGHLY ACIDIC
TERRAIN: HOSTILE
INTELLIGENCE: HIGH

c1text:
SPECIES: CRAVENOR
ATMOSPHERE: OXYGEN
TERRAIN: MOUNTAINOUS
INTELLIGENCE: LIMITED

c2text:
SPECIES: SWAMPWORM
ATMOSPHERE: SULPHUROUS
TERRAIN: SWAMPLANDS
INTELLIGENCE: MEDIOCRE

eggtext:
SPECIES: ALIEN EGG
ATMOSPHERE: ACIDIC
INTELLIGENCE: NIL

hugtext:
SPECIES: FACEHUGGER
ATMOSPHERE: ACIDIC
INTELLIGENCE: HIGH

jatext:
SPECIES: JASONITE
ATMOSPHERE: POLLUTED
TERRAIN: CONURBATION
INTELLIGENCE: PITIFUL

snorgtext:
SPECIES: SNORGETH
ATMOSPHERE: RADIOACTIVE
TERRAIN: HUGE LAKES
INTELLIGENCE: GENIUS

********** chief medical officers log **********

chflogtext:
CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER'S LOG
AWAITING PURPLES TEXT

********** text for the log menus **********

med_menu_text:
CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICERS LOG
SPECIES ENCOUNTERED

************ text for the brig computer **********

brig1text:
GENERAL LOG
CRYOSENTENCE FOR PRISONER 91266X COMPLETED
PRISONER NAME: LEWIS LANCE J.
CURRENT RANK: PRIVATE
OFFENCE: STRIKING A SUPERIOR OFFICER
SECURITY LEVEL: 0

brig2text:
GENERAL LOG
DURING PRISONER'S CRYOSENTENCE MARINE TRAINING SHIP ENCOUNTERED VESSEL OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN. DOCKING WAS INITIATED AND THE ALIEN VESSEL WAS BOARDED

brig3text:
GENERAL LOG
AIRLOCKS ARE LOCATED ON LEVELS 1, 3 AND 5

brig4text:
GENERAL LOG
LOCATE BRIEFING ROOM AND ACCESS THE COMPUTERS THERE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

********** briefing room text **********

brief1text:
GENERAL LOG
THE ALIEN VESSEL CONTAINED LEATHERY OBJECTS, ROUGHLY 1 METRE IN HEIGHT. UNDER INVESTIGATION A PARASITIC XENOMORPH EMERGED FROM WHAT IS ASSUMED TO BE AN EGG. IT ATTACHED ITSELF TO A CREWMEMBER AND AS YET WILL NOT COME OFF THOUGH IT APPEARS TO BE DOING NO DIRECT HARM TO THE VICTIM

brief2text:
GENERAL LOG
THE PATIENT DIED FROM ATTEMPTED REMOVAL OF PARASITE. SHIP'S CAPTAIN HAMPTON HAS ORDERED IMMEDIATE QUARANTINE AS THESE CREATURES HAVE BEEN FOUND TRAVELLING IN THE AIRDUCTS.

brief3text:
GENERAL LOG
FURTHER INFORMATION HAS BEEN LOGGED INTO THE LIBRARY LOCATED NORTH OF THE CANTEEN. SHIP LIBRARIAN LIEUTENANT MCNAMEE HAS ACCESS WITH SECURITY CARD 2. HIS LOCATION IS UNKNOWN.

******* green room ********

green1text:
PERSONAL LOG
CHIEF ENGINEER JACOBSEN REPORTING. THE SITUATION ON BOARD HAS DETERIORATED. IT APPEARS WE HAVE MORE VISITORS. A SECOND ALIEN VESSEL, QUITE DIFFERENT FROM THE FIRST, HAS BOARDED VIA THE LEVEL 1 AIRLOCK AND DISABLED MOST OF THE SHIP'S POWER AND COMMS.

green2text:
PERSONAL LOG
THE INHABITANTS HAVE NOT BEEN SEEN, BUT THAT IS NOT TO SAY THEY AREN'T HERE. UNBELIEVABLE AS IT SOUNDS, THEY CAN RENDER THEMSELVES INVISIBLE TO US. POSSIBLY BY USING INDIVIDUAL ENERGY SOURCES TO BEND THE SPECTRUM OF LIGHT RAYS AROUND THEIR BODIES.

green3text:
PERSONAL LOG
THEIR NUMBER IS UNKNOWN, AS IS THEIR REASON FOR BEING HERE. DRILL SERGEANT KINGSLEY TRIED TO ENTER THEIR SHIP, BUT HE WAS KILLED WITH A LARGE WEAPON OF A TYPE I HAVE NEVER SEEN. WITH A QUICK BLUE FLASH THERE APPEARED A LARGE HOLE IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS CHEST.

green4text:
PERSONAL LOG
HE DIED INSTANTLY AND THE WOUND WAS CAUTERISED WITH ALMOST NO BLOOD LOSS. TENSION IS UNBEARABLE AND THOSE LEFT ALIVE DOUBT THAT THEY WILL LAST LONG.

******** Supply Room Text *****

supply1text:
MEDICAL LOG
THE MAJORITY OF THE SHIPS FIRST AID KITS HAVE BEEN TAKEN FROM MED-LAB SUPPLY ROOMS BY DOCTOR WHITTAKER USING HIS SECURITY CARD 4 ACCESS.

supply2text:
MEDICAL LOG
LIMITED AMMUNITION FOR ALL MARINE ISSUE WEAPONS IS AVAILABLE IN THE ARMOURIES WITH SECURITY CARD 9.

supply3text:
MEDICAL LOG
THE WEST ELEVATOR IS NOT FUNCTIONAL BETWEEN LEVELS 3 AND 4.

******* Operating Room text *******

op1text:
MEDICAL LOG
UPON ENTERING ALIEN VESSEL, PRIVATE BARKER WAS ATTACKED BY A PARASITE WHICH ATTACHED ITSELF TO HIS FACE. SUBJECT FAILED TO SURVIVE ATTEMPTED REMOVAL CHIEF SURGEON WHITTAKER ACCEPTS FULL RESPONSIBILITY

op2text:
MEDICAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER WHITTAKER REPORTING IT HAS BEEN LESS THAN 4 HOURS SINCE MY LAST ENTRY AND SEVERAL MORE CREW MEMBERS HAVE BEEN ATTACKED BY THESE YELLOW SPIDER LIKE PARASITES. WHEN LEFT ALONE THEY SOON FELL OFF AND DIED

op3text:
MEDICAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER WHITTAKER REPORTING
APPARENTLY THESE PARASITES CARRY AN EGG OF SOME KIND, WHICH THEY LEAVE IN THEIR HOST. SOON AFTER THEY DIE OUR INFECTED CREW EXHIBIT GRAND-MAL SEIZURES. THEN THEY SUFFER A TERRIBLE HORRIFYING FATE

op4text:
MEDICAL LOG
A CREATURE ABOUT 2 METRES IN LENGTH, SNAKELIKE AND POWERFUL EXPLODES FROM THE HOST'S CHEST IN A SHOWER OF BLOOD AND BONE. THESE CREATURES ARE GROWING QUICKLY AND TAKING MORE OF THE CREW INTO THEIR VESSEL.

op5text:
MEDICAL LOG
I AM TAKING THE MEDICAL STAFF INTO THE TRAINING MAZE ON LEVEL 4. I HOPE IT WILL BE SECURE AND THAT THIS WILL NOT BE MY FINAL ENTRY.

********* central armoury rooms **********

arm1text:
ARMOURY LOG
WELCOME TO THE SHIP'S ARMOURIES. STANDARD MARINE WEAPONS CANNOT BE ISSUED WITHOUT THE PROPER SECURITY CARD CLEARANCE. THANKYOU

**** SMARTGUN ROOM ****

smart1text:
ARMOURY LOG
PERSONAL LOG - WEAPONS OFFICER PATTEN REPORTING. THE ALIEN INFESTATION HAS BECOME VERY STRONG AND FEW OF US ARE LEFT. ONE OF MY TEAM LIEUTENANT CAPPA IS BADLY HURT. I AM TAKING HIM TO LEVEL 4 TO RECEIVE ATTENTION. WITH MY HIGHER SECURITY CARD, I WILL BE ABLE TO GET HIM THAT MUCH MORE ASSISTANCE

*** PULSE RIFLE ROOM ***

pulse1text:
ARMOURY LOG
PERSONAL LOG - WEAPONS OFFICER PATTEN REPORTING. I HAVE BEEN PUTTING THE PULSE RIFLE THROUGH IT'S PACES. THIS IS A SWEET PIECE OF STEEL THAT DOES A FAIR AMOUNT OF BRUISNG WITHOUT EATING A LOT OF AMMO.

(commented out)
;THE GRENADE LAUNCHER HAS A WIDE AREA EFFECT, PUTTING EVERYTHING ON THE OTHER END IN A WORLD OF PAIN

**** BODY ARMOUR ROOM ****

body1text:
ARMOURY LOG
PERSONAL LOG - WEAPONS OFFICER PATTEN REPORTING. THE BODY ARMOUR IS AN IMPORTANT PIECE OF ANY MARINES COMBAT GEAR. IT PROTECTS AGAINST DAMAGE FROM BOTH CLOSE AND LONG RANGE ATTACKS.

****** FLAME UNIT ROOM *********

flame1text:
ARMOURY LOG
PERSONAL LOG - WEAPONS OFFICER PATTEN REPORTING. THE FLAMETHROWER IS QUITE A UNIT. DECENT FUEL ECONOMY THAT FRIES UPTO A MEDIUM RANGE DISTANCE.

DON'T FORGET TO BRING LOTS OF BARBECUE SAUCE WITH THIS BABY.

************ Computer Room South of Armoury ********

comp1text:
GENERAL LOG
SHIPS ARMOURIES CAN BE ENTERED WITH SECURITY CARD 4 BUT SOME WEAPONS CANNOT BE ISSUED WITHOUT HIGHER SECURITY CLEARANCE.

comp2text:
GENERAL LOG
DOCTOR WHITTAKER REPORTING. ANY INJURED PERSONNEL ENTERING MED-LAB OPERATING ROOMS CAN RECEIVE HEALTH ASSISTANCE WITH SECURITY CARD 4 OR HIGHER. THE HIGHER THE SECURITY CARD, THE MORE ENERGY CAN BE RECOVERED

comp3text:
GENERAL LOG
SCIENCE OFFICER SOUSA REPORTING. THE ALIENS SEEM TO BE CHANGING THE STRUCTURE OF LEVEL 5. IT APPEARS THEY ARE ABLE TO EXCRETE A RESIN THAT HARDENS QUICKLY. MY ASSISTANT LIEUTENANT GILLEN AND I HAVE THE LAST REMAINING MOTION TRACKER.

comp4text:
GENERAL LOG
WE ARE GOING TO TRY AND LOCATE THE CAPTAIN WHO HAS NOT BEEN HEARD FROM SINCE HIS SEARCH TEAM ENTERED LEVEL 5 WE WILL BE USING THE EAST ELEVATOR TO GET THERE.

comp5text:
GENERAL LOG
CHIEF ENGINEER JACOBSEN REPORTING I AM INVESTIGATING UNUSUAL EVENTS ON LEVEL 1. FURTHER DETAILS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE LEVEL 1 COMPUTERS.

comp6text:
GENERAL LOG
THE WEST ELEVATOR IS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY AND CANNOT TRAVEL BETWEEN LEVELS 3 AND 4.

************* LIBRARY COMPUTERS *****

lib1text:
GENERAL LOG
DISOBEYING CAPTAIN HAMPTON'S QUARANTINE, SOME CREWMEMBERS HAVE ABANDONED SHIP VIA THE ESCAPE PODS. NOW THE ONLY REMAINING ESCAPE POD IS ON LEVEL 5

lib2text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - COMMANDER KEIM REPORTING. IF ANYONE READS THIS I PRAY THAT WE WERE SUCCESSFUL MY ASSISTANT AND I ARE PREPARED TO DO WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO DESTROY THESE ALIENS. WE ARE TAKING SUPPLIES OF GRENADES AND FUEL INTO THEIR SPACECRAFT IN A LAST ATTEMPT TO BLOW IT INTO THE STARS.

lib3text:
GENERAL LOG
I HAVE STOLEN SECURITY CARD 8 OFF ONE OF THE DEAD. PLEASE LET US SUCCEED

lib4text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - WEAPONS OFFICER PATTEN REPORTING. AFTER CONFERRING WITH ENGINEER JACOBSEN WE HAVE DECIDED TO PAY OUR VISITORS ON LEVEL 1 A VISIT. I HAVE ACQUIRED A SMART GUN AND ENOUGH AMMO TO TAKE OUT WHATEVER WE FIND

lib5text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - CAPTAIN HAMPTON REPORTING ACCESS DENIED SECURITY CARD 9 REQUIRED ACCESS DENIED SECURITY CARD 9REQUIRED

lib6text:
GENERAL LOG
SECURITY CARD 9 ACCESS GRANTED
PERSONAL LOG - CAPTAIN HAMPTON REPORTING
IF THIS MESSAGE IS BEING READ, YOU MUST ASSUME I AM ALREADY DEAD. THE RATE AT WHICH THESE CREATURES MULTIPLY IS TERRIFYING. IF THESE THINGS WERE TO MAKE IT TO EARTH IT COULD MEAN THE END OF THE CIVILISED WORLD AS WE KNOW IT

lib7text:
GENERAL LOG
I CANNOT ALLOW THIS I AM THEREFORE AUTHORISING THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS
1. GET TO THE COMMAND CENTRE
2. SET THE SHIP FOR SELF DESTRUCT
3. LEAVE THE SHIP VIA THE ESCAPE PODS
BUT YOU WON'T HAVE MUCH TIME. THE FUTURE OF THE UNIVERSE IS IN YOUR HANDS. GOOD LUCK

******** Command Centre ********

com1text:
GENERAL LOG
SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCES CANNOT BE INITIATED WITHOUT SECURITY CARD 10 CLEARANCE. THE CAPTAIN HAS ONE OF ONLY 2 SECURITY CARDS WITH A CLEARANCE OF 10

************ Petty Officers Area *******

petty1text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - SCIENCE OFFICER SOUSA REPORTING. IT HAS BEEN JUST OVER 48 HOURS SINCE FIRST CONTACT AND THE SHIP IS BEING OVERRUN WITH THESE CREATURES. THEIR DEGREE OF HOSTILITY IS THE MOST OF ANY BEING I HAVE ENCOUNTERED. THE THE ALIENS HAVE ACID FOR BLOOD WHICH CAUSES DAMAGE DURING CLOSE RANGE BATTLE.
(yes there's a double "the" in the original text)

petty2text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG OFFICER HUNTER REPORTING. SOME OF THE CREW HAVE HOLED UP IN A STORAGE AREA SOUTH OF THE BARRACKS. THIS AREA IS NOW ONLY ACCESSIBLE VIA THE SHIP'S AIRDUCTS

********** north library ********

nlib1text:
GENERAL LOG
THE ALIENS HAVE MASTERED THE SHIP'S AIRDUCTS, AND THEY CAN NOW MOVE BETWEEN ALL LEVELS OF THE SHIP WITH EASE AND INCREDIBLE SPEED

nlib2text:
GENERAL LOG
WE HAVE RECEIVED NO RESPONSE TO NUMEROUS DISTRESS SIGNALS. CAPT. HAMPTON FEARS THE IMPLICATIONS OF THESE ALIENS REACHING THE FRONTIER

nlib3text:
GENERAL LOG
MARINE ISSUE WEAPONS AND AMMO CAN BE FOUND IN THE SHIP'S ARMOURIES LOCATED ON LEVELS 2 AND 4

********** south library ********

slib1text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - SCIENCE OFFICER SOUSA REPORTING. THE ALIENS ARE A NEVER BEFORE SEEN SPECIES, DEADLY, BUT DETERMINED. THEY SEEM TO WORK AS A COLONY, NOT UNLIKE SOME INSECTS. THEIR VESSEL RESEMBLES A NEST OR SOME GIGANTIC HIVE. I BELIEVE THERE MAY BE A LEADER, AN EGG LAYER, SOMEWHERE IN THAT MESS.

slib2text:
GENERAL LOG
THEY SEEM TO BE ALTERING THE STRUCTURE OF LEVEL 5 TO SUIT THEIR OWN NEEDS EXPANDING THEIR DOMINATION OF THE SHIP IN THE PROCESS.

slib3text:
GENERAL LOG
THE FAMILY OF CHIEF PETTY OFFICER HUNTER IS MISSING, HE IS SEARCHING FOR THEM INSIDE THE OFFICER'S AREA ON LEVEL 2, WITH SECURITY CARD 3 ACCESS HE IS USING THE AIRDUCTS

slib4text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - CHIEF ENGINEER JACOBSEN REPORTING. I HAVE PLACED INFORMATION REGARDING THE LEVEL 1 AIRLOCKS INTO THE LIBRARY ON LEVEL 2. THIS IS A SECURITY 7 AREA.

******** training maze greenroom ******

tg1text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - LIEUTENANT COMMANDER CAPPA REPORTING. WITH MY RECENT PROMOTION TO TRAINING MAZE CO-ORDINATOR AND ACCESS TO SECURITY CARD 6 I AM NOW IN CHARGE OF PUTTING GRUNTS THROUGH THE TRAINING MAZE

******** tmaze2 ********

tm1text:
GENERAL LOG
ACCESSING A TERMINAL?, I WANT TO SEE YOU SWEAT PRIVATE. NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20

********** training maze secure area **********

secure1text:
GENERAL LOG
SOME OF US ARE HEADING FOR THE COMMAND CENTRE TO SET THE SELF DESTRUCT, AT THIS POINT THERE DOESNT SEEM TO BE ANY CHOICE

***** northern airlock *******

nlock1text:
GENERAL LOG
PERSONAL LOG - CAPTAIN HAMPTON REPORTING. WE ARE TRYING TO ENTER THE ALIEN VESSEL, BUT THEY'VE BEEN QUITE BUSY REDESIGNING THIS LEVEL. THE EAST ELEVATOR GIVES ACCESS TO THE ESCAPE POD. BUT ONLY THE AIRDUCTS AND WEST ELEVATOR WILL GIVE ACCESS TO THE OTHER AIRLOCKS. I HAVE LEFT IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS IN THE COMMAND CENTRE.

pod1text:
ESCAPE CAPSULE
ESCAPE POD WILL NOT BECOME ACTIVE UNLESS THE SHIP'S SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE HAS BEEN INITIATED

launchtext:
ESCAPE CAPSULE
ESCAPE CAPSULE LAUNCH SEQUENCE INITIATED
- MAIN AND AUX POWER TO FULL
- ENGINES FUELED AND PREPPED
_ MAIN AIRLOCK CLEARED
B. LAUNCH ESCAPE CAPSULE
(yes, that's an underscore instead of a hyphen on the last line of the escape capsule launch checklist)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I thought it would be interesting to extract all the computer text from AvP and post it in a more readable form. This is all from COMPUTER.S in the source code.

Fun fact: Instead of storing all the computer text as strings and using a generalized print routine to display them, Rebellion hard-coded the X/Y coordinates of every single line of text. Like this:

com1text: dc.w 120,30

dc.b ttype_on,"GENERAL LOG",newxy

dc.w 30,70

dc.b "SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCES CANNOT BE",newxy

dc.w 30,80

dc.b "INITIATED WITHOUT SECURITY CARD 10",newxy

dc.w 30,90

dc.b "CLEARANCE. THE CAPTAIN HAS ONE OF",newxy

dc.w 30,100

dc.b "ONLY 2 SECURITY CARDS WITH A",newxy

dc.w 30,110

dc.b "CLEARANCE OF 10",0

Preaching to the choir

• Thanks 1

I'm sure everyone enjoying the game and immersing themselves in the game during the mid 90's gave a HUGE FUCKING RATS ASS about how the text got on the screen. Calling them out for this is one of the most insanely retarded posts I've read in a long time.

JagChris agreed with you. I rest my case.

• Like 8

I'm sure everyone enjoying the game and immersing themselves in the game during the mid 90's gave a HUGE FUCKING RATS ASS about how the text got on the screen. Calling them out for this is one of the most insanely retarded posts I've read in a long time.

JagChris agreed with you. I rest my case.

Uh oh. Someone is getting real defensive. Are you throwing text to the screen this way CJ? You need ZB to show you how to do it right? Edited by JagChris

Nope, I implied that you couldn't see that a flexible print routine that didn't lock text into a monolithic block isn't bad programming if that is what is required.

Yeah no, you implied no such thing.

I'm sure everyone enjoying the game and immersing themselves in the game during the mid 90's gave a HUGE FUCKING RATS ASS about how the text got on the screen.

Tapdance fail.

• Like 1

. Nevermind, this feels dumb.

Yes, basing the coding skills of the programmers of one of the first console 3D FPS games, that won praise from almost every gaming publication at the time on how they printed text on the screen at an X/Y position is dumb, I agree 100%.

• Like 6

It's like Cyrano doesn't realize what a breathless hypersensitive ninnyhammer he comes across as by flipping straight into red-vision RAGE MODE in response to an aside that comprised less than one percent of my original post.

Pssst, hey, drama queen-- it's okay to point out flaws and shortcomings in popular things. Would it blow your mind to know that Minecraft, one of the most beloved games ever created, is also generally regarded to be pretty poorly written? Ditto for most Bethesda games, and Troika games, and surely countless others. Believe it or not, it's possible to like something whilst also acknowledging its flaws. This is something that properly-functioning human brains can do. In fact the biggest fans are usually the ones most aware of the flaws.

It's like Cyrano doesn't realize what a breathless hypersensitive ninnyhammer he comes across as by flipping straight into red-vision RAGE MODE in response to an aside that comprised less than one percent of my original post.

Ever tried looking into one of those things?

what_do_you_see.jpg

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 5

Believe it or not, it's possible to like something whilst also acknowledging its flaws. This is something that properly-functioning human brains can do. In fact the biggest fans are usually the ones most aware of the flaws.

This feels like a strange outlook with the approach taken. For instance, I'm totally aware the Jaguar was a rush job, a handful of the games are rough around the edges, if not all the way to the core. Hell, a handful of the games advertised weren't even officially released. I could be negative about the system and it's games while still holding nostalgia for it, or, I could talk about the things I like about it and acknowledge the bad stuff.

The statement that it's possible to like something while acknowledging it's flaws, I definitely agree, however, I feel this topic was created from a negative point of view which usually calls for a conflict of opinions and according to how a majority of people act, you're right, that's what a "properly-functioning human brain" would do.

It's all about the approach, and the generalized statement that "These were not good programmers." when AvP was one of the better games on the system sounds about right for conflict.

Lotta disagreements around here. As for AVP being one of the Jags best games, how it got to be so good is subject to debate itself.

Some say it was just Rebellion naturally being awesome.

Others say they had to have the whip cracked on them just to get it to playable and beyond. And what we now have is rather lucky chance.

Edited by JagChris

...I feel this topic was created from a negative point of view bla bla bla blabbity blarp...

You'd have to be some kind of hypersensitive fanboy to think that, since as I already pointed out, this "negative point of view" comprised less than one percent of my original post.

Eh, some people live to be offended and see what they want to see.

You'd have to be some kind of hypersensitive fanboy to think that, since as I already pointed out, this "negative point of view" comprised less than one percent of my original post.

Eh, some people live to be offended and see what they want to see.

Not offended. = ) Do agree on people seeing what they want to see though.

Edit: By the way, the one percent of your original post that was negative was the only part where you actually gave opinion, the rest was the source code. Just.. thought I'd mention that.