IGNORED

porting the hobbit to the atari 8 bit

Jackel192

Spectrum conversions of Z80 machine code games to Atari aren't that simple.

There's generally 2 ways that games have been ported over from contemporary old systems:

1. Emulation layer. In the case of Sinclair, more applicable to ZX80/81 stuff but for Spectrum probably possible to a degree. The problem with doing it this way is it'll generally run a whole lot slower than the original. Not usually a problem for text games or graphical stuff that's turn-based etc.

2. Line by line conversion to 6502 + conversion to suit different hardware. The more thorough and more time consuming way. Create a reverse-enineered source code that'll compile back to the original first, then convert it to run on the Atari.

I've done a few C= Plus 4 games to Atari conversions - had Spectipede in a working state in under 3 hours. But that's also a 6502 machine and the graphical hardware is similar.

For an unlike system such as Spectrum, figure probably more like a couple of solid weeks work if you know what you're doing.

You might check into the spectrum zx emulator by drac030. Since this is an adventure game, the speed might be acceptable. With an accelerator, the emulator can run at nearly full speed, so using it with Altirra might work. Still there are hurdles in getting it to work, but porting it is likely not feasible.

No, Larry means, that you could use Altirra to run my ZX Spectrum emulator, and a binary version of Hobbit on top of that. Kinda emulator within an emulator. It is of course rather pointless, when you can run it directly on a ZX Spectrum emulator for a PC, but people do various things for fun.

The Hobbit should be perfectly playable on an Atari with an accelerator. It actually (I just checked) also works on Antonia, just one has to be quite patient waiting for the game to draw the graphics :) Maybe the text-only version should be played without the acceleration.

The program truly does look like it was written in a high-level language. But in fact, you never know.

2 questions:

1. i have an .ASM file with the ZX spectrum code in it, how do i convert .ASM to .ATR?

2. would it be feasible size wise?

Your questions seem to indicate you believe it is just a format change, such as converting a wav file to MP3. Or gif to jpg. But there is so much more analysis and coding needed for such a cross-system port. If you're serious, you need to start reading how to program each system, learn assembly language, and do as much legwork on your own as possible. Better to learn one system a little bit and try to get a demo program that you can modify and experiment.