IGNORED

Atari 2600 chronogaming video project: Atari Archive

ubersaurus

Rough days here in the states, but hopefully the new video will help take your mind off of things for a bit. It's the history of golfing video games centered around the singular VCS Golf title - essentially a minor upgrade to the Odyssey2 game, but nevertheless part of the path between early text releases and what the genre would become.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We've hit the title that is not only one of Atari's best selling games for the platform, but one of the finest driving games of its era: Night Driver. Learn all about the murky origins of this game and how it's essentially a ripoff of a West German arcade game!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The new video looks at Circus Atari. The game's arcade progenitor has some surprising links to the world of emulation, music and video game soundtracks, but this home version is no slouch either. Additionally, I've started up a companion blog to the video series that'll allow me to update older videos as articles when more information comes along: www.atariarchive.org

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

another interesting review!  I only wish that boxing had had an option to play multiple rounds in the same bout, rather than having to reset each time you came to the end of a round.

I can't believe you mentioned the bambino games!  I had most of those (including boxing)!

Those were all about the detail of the onscreen figures and the crazy case shapes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New video looks at Maze Craze and the history of its particular subgenre of "pure" maze games generally! Coming out just on the cusp of Pac-Man's North American release and the subsequent major shift away from the maze itself being the focus of a maze game, Rick Maurer's final VCS game takes a number of its cues from similar games that had come before in the arcade and competing console space to produce a title that is in many ways the pinnacle of its type.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A wee bit of self-promotion, as I talked about this video series with the Video Game History Foundation's Frank and Kelsey for their podcast that just went up today!

Additionally, tomorrow I'll have another Annex video out about RCA's commercial video games - I probably won't link it in this thread since I want to keep it focused on the mainline VCS stuff, but look out for it soon.

https://anchor.fm/gamehistorypodcast/episodes/Ep--13-Kevin-Bunch-eockmd 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I always enjoyed skiing, but wished that it had including a starting house/finish line and maybe some more variation in the trees, more courses, etc.

was this a 2k game or 4k game?  guessing that memory limitations was a prime motivator in the minimalist presentation.  still fun, though!

I suppose that now it would be possible to really crush an updated version of this with more memory for more courses and stuff.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Today's video is the end of an era of VCS game releases! This conversion of a Japanese board game was started unofficially by an Atari arcade developer before eventually coming out as the final text-label VCS release. Learn all about the game's development and why there are two distinct ROM revisions floating around!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1