IGNORED

Beware of this Eli's Ladder on Ebay

atari181

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

It doesn't matter, there's pretty much zero chance they will do anything from people reporting it this way.  Phone calls can make more of a difference, as you actually have a chance to explain what's going on.  And if someone buys it and reports it as counterfeit, that also will get action from eBay.

..Al

Be sure to let us know how the phone call goes :)

5 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

I did two times, but I don't think it helps.

8)

I reported it once over weekend and agree prob not gonna make a difference. Even though he has listed the thing multiple times with different descriptions to how he got it, why the label got trashed, etc. etc., yet never sells it.

• Like 1

The guy is stupid enough to post that he had to relist due to bad buyers messing with bids.  He mentions receiving threats.  He then mentions receiving hate mail.

He put 3 giant red flags right in the description.???

If anyone is stupid enough to bid on and win that game, they deserve exactly what they get.  And with the way he's worded things, I doubt eBay will do anything if someone complains about receiving a fake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turbo-Torch said:

The guy is stupid enough to post that he had to relist due to bad buyers messing with bids.  He mentions receiving threats.  He then mentions receiving hate mail.

He put 3 giant red flags right in the description.???

If anyone is stupid enough to bid on and win that game, they deserve exactly what they get.  And with the way he's worded things, I doubt eBay will do anything if someone complains about receiving a fake.

technically with ebay's policy the buyer should get their money back and they should destroy the knock off game (wouldn't that be sweet) but like  I said ebay's policy seems to be to defend the dishonest party

I don't want to see anyone get ripped off, much less ripped off for $370 (the current high bid) or more.  I'm going to call eBay tomorrow:

image.png

I suggest others do the same as well.  Here's the regular contact phone number:

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 6.31.55 PM.png
Tell the agent you would like to report a fraudulent auction where the item is being misrepresented by the seller as genuine.  The auction number is 143329470082.  State that the seller has listed this item multiple times, and is making several false claims in the auction as to the item's authenticity.  State there's a forum full of experts on these games discussing this auction, and that someone is going to get ripped off to the tune of $370+ when the item is a counterfeit worth only $20.  State that the seller has damaged one of the labels on the auction to help conceal the fact that this item is a fake. 

Give them the full URL of this thread if they want to research it further (unlikely, but I have had them do this before):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/269997-beware-of-this-elis-ladder-on-ebay/

The more people who call, the better the odds of getting this item removed.

..Al

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Makes me wonder why eBay has that "Report Item" link when it's practically useless and you need to call them instead.

There are some types of reports they will respond to quickly, usually those they break their rules that are easy to verify, such as linking to an external store in your eBay auction. But for something like this? They don't give a damn through the normal reporting mechanisms. 

..Al

I just got off the phone with eBay.  He asked me to also report this item using the normal reporting mechanism, which he said bolsters the case when they investigate fraudulent items.  Please report the item if you can.  Here's the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eli-s-Ladder-Atari-2600-rare-game/143329470082

Look for the "Report Item" link above the item description (you'll need to scroll down a bit).

Here's how I reported it:

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 4.08.33 PM.png

8 minutes ago, masschamber said:

I've reported it on 2 of my 3 accounts ( the one with the eli's ladder  listed  I didn't)  you'd think what seems like a dozen reports would get ebay to act.

Yet they take down how many honestly listed homebrews and\or well advertised reproductions elsewhere? :roll: The other thing that really gets me is when Joe Blow lists a repro or a multicart they get taken down but when a Chinese bootleg power seller is dishing out hundreds of the same items? Well Ebay is fine with that and will even turn a blind eye with first page sponsored listings! Ah, the consolations made while using Ebay. At the end of the day there isn't anything any of us can do about if choosing to use Ebay. They need to make money and whoever makes them the most is catered to the most. Including ignoring there own terms of service.

39 minutes ago, masschamber said:

I've reported it on 2 of my 3 accounts ( the one with the eli's ladder  listed  I didn't)  you'd think what seems like a dozen reports would get ebay to act.

Unfortunately the number of reports really doesn't seem to make any difference for a case like this.  I'd say it couldn't hurt, and the agent personally asked me to make a report and said it would help, which is why I've asked people here to do the same.  But my experience with eBay's traditional reporting tools has been poor.

..Al

30 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Yet they take down how many honestly listed homebrews and\or well advertised reproductions elsewhere?

I think due to the sheer volume of auctions on eBay, they focus their limited manpower on bigger fish (for instance, the agent on the phone mentioned things like counterfeit designer handbags).  Calling and talking to a real person is beneficial, as they can escalate auctions directly to eBay's "Trust and Safety" department.  But even in that case, if they have to do an investigation into the auction and seller (as the agent told me), it can take some time.  And obviously the clock is ticking for something like this. 

..Al