IGNORED

Blue or black background?

grips03

Oregon Bound game background color  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is blue or black a better background color? Blue is like Colecovision Game Select screen. Black is like Donkey Kong background color?

2. 2. If game only had Blue background would you buy it? Please note game has both blue (default) and black (option)

• Yes, my eyes love solid blue screens
    • No, I'm glad there is an option for black

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Somebody needs to port the 1985 version soon. It is far superior.

Unlike the original written in Basic, I don't think the 1985 remake's code is portable to Intellivision. It would have to be completely rewritten, likely ending up with a different game.

I've never played either the original or 1985 remake but they remind me a little of King of the Mountain.

Apparently some people are assuming this is a conversion of the Apple II 1985 version. It is not. It is an Intellivision update of the original Oregon.bas that was popular on mainframes in the 70's and is in fact ported from the 1978 Creative Computing type in version.

Myself, I originally guessed this was a port of the 1978-1980 Apple II version rather than the 1985 Apple II version since the gameplay and graphics were closer to the earlier Apple II version. I knew that there were mainframe versions that preceded it, but I have less familiarity with those versions. I had also assumed that that the mainframe source code was hard to find (the 1978-1980 Apple II version was released in AppleBASIC so the code is trivial to find).

Either way, it is still awesome to see Oregon Bound be released for the Intellivision and am stoked to get my hands on it.

Unlike the original written in Basic, I don't think the 1985 remake's code is portable to Intellivision. It would have to be completely rewritten, likely ending up with a different game.

I've never played either the original or 1985 remake but they remind me a little of King of the Mountain.

That's too bad. The 1985 version deserves to be ported.

Myself, I originally guessed this was a port of the 1978-1980 Apple II version rather than the 1985 Apple II version since the gameplay and graphics were closer to the earlier Apple II version. I knew that there were mainframe versions that preceded it, but I have less familiarity with those versions. I had also assumed that that the mainframe source code was hard to find (the 1978-1980 Apple II version was released in AppleBASIC so the code is trivial to find).

Either way, it is still awesome to see Oregon Bound be released for the Intellivision and am stoked to get my hands on it.

Yeah in the 1985 remake you're not attacked by wild animals or bandits. The mainframe version was written in Basic so it is highly portable and more or less the same game seen until 1985. After it was published in a magazine in 1978 someone added some graphics and animation to an Apple version but otherwise it was the same game or close to it. The 1985 remake is a more complex game.