IGNORED

jaglib and DSP program offsets

Luigi301

Working on a model converter that will turn my OBJ files into raw data for the 3D engine at the moment.

I’ve also got debug spew going to the screen now, using a simple 40x24 1bpp text layer. Trying to figure out why the lighting seems to be coming from a weird “angle” when it should be projected from the camera. :(

I wish Virtual Jaguar could hook the jaglib skunkboard console output. Maybe I can hack that into VJ somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Working on a model converter that will turn my OBJ files into raw data for the 3D engine at the moment.

I’ve also got debug spew going to the screen now, using a simple 40x24 1bpp text layer. Trying to figure out why the lighting seems to be coming from a weird “angle” when it should be projected from the camera. :(

I wish Virtual Jaguar could hook the jaglib skunkboard console output. Maybe I can hack that into VJ somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be easier to hack in a dedicated address you can just "print" to (ie: everytime a byte arrives at an otherwise unused address, the emulator prints it to the console), but implementing the Skunkboard HPI interface is not too tricky. You'd then need to either parse the Skunklib packets or just assume they're all worth printing. ;) There's a doc for all the specs, if you get stuck you can ask me. ;)

Yeah, I set it up so writes to $800000 (unmapped) get logged to a debug log. I also rebuilt my workflow under WSL instead of Cygwin, making the compile/debug loop a lot faster. Together, this let me figure out that a typo in my view matrix function was screwing up the shading. :| Now I have 16 light levels projected from the camera - so everything's bright, but at least it's shaded properly.

2kQzZGS.gif

• Like 5

I fixed the weird glitchy lines flying off of polygons and did some cleanup, pipelining and optimization - I calculated that I get about 3,000 flat-shaded polygons per second at the moment. Not bad for my first shot at a Jaguar 3D engine! Of course, that's without Z-buffering...

• Like 5

I fixed the weird glitchy lines flying off of polygons and did some cleanup, pipelining and optimization - I calculated that I get about 3,000 flat-shaded polygons per second at the moment. Not bad for my first shot at a Jaguar 3D engine! Of course, that's without Z-buffering...

Excellent work :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been pretty busy with other projects this month, but Ive been working on a RISC assembler/debugging tool in Common Lisp.

Not much to show yet, but Im hoping that it will let me figure out the internals of my engine better than clicking Refresh in Virtual Jaguar...

Not sure if it's of use, but I have released a (VERY beta :) ) RISC Disassembler here : https://www.u-235.co.uk/developer/u-235-disassembler/

It's op-code complete, doesn't cover all branch conditions yet, just what I needed at the time. Let me know if you hit any snags with it etc.

also, lisp! *shudder* do you like parenthesis lots or something? :)