IGNORED

Introduction: 2600 Programming for Newbies

Oh I c wapchimp. :D

I havent thought of my first 2600 game as yet.

I wish I could of something original, but all ideas have all been done before so its impossible.

Obviously my first 2600 Game would be probably simple but playable and thats a good start so far.

But ill got a long way to go, and just about to start reading Session 3 now.

8)

if I can do it my first game is gunna be called atari safari, Ive designed the cover already & got the concept - no-one will guess, it's to obscure  :P

lol, you've already got the hardest part of the project done -- choosing a name ;) Now you get to do the easy part -- learn 6502 assembly, learn the 2600 inside and out, and write your game... you have 24 hours to post up your binary :D

lol, you've already got the hardest part of the project done -- choosing a name ;)  Now you get to do the easy part -- learn 6502 assembly, learn the 2600 inside and out, and write your game... you have 24 hours to post up your binary :D

LOL, I wish it was that easy for me too!.. So im gonna start with the easy stuff first. learn 6502 assembly, write my game, then the nitemare hardest task for all. Give my new game a name. :D

SmileyDude wrote: lol, you've already got the hardest part of the project done -- choosing a name ;) Now you get to do the easy part -- learn 6502 assembly, learn the 2600 inside and out, and write your game... you have 24 hours to post up your binary :D

All done:

0101101010 10011001 01001010 010101 0101 01011110001 010110110

See what i mean by obscure :lol: :lolblue:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello!

I'd like to introduce myself as the latest member of AtariAge. I've been interested recently in hacking my 2600 and just discovered this site. What a great resource.

I'm a Perl programmer with some x86 asm experience and thought I'd try my hand at the 6507. I've just won a Supercharger from eBay and am gearing up to do some coding.

This particular thread seems like a great place to start, and I have the Stella's Programming Guide too. Am I missing anything else?

I'm also interested in doing some Open Source stuff, like porting things over to Linux for example. Anything like that going on around here?

Are there any other threads I should be starting off with?

Thanks,

John

Are there any other threads I should be starting off with?

Hello and welcome!

Check the Stella Mailing List (aka [stella]):

Yeah, Stella is like the pro's hangout, but it's still newbie friendly and amazingly helpful.

A list of many resources are here at Atari Age: http://www.atariage.com/2600/programming/index.html

Including my own tutorial, Atari 2600 101:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/programming/2600_101/

(I'm trying to spin 2600 101 as "quickstartish" complement to Andrew Davie's more comprehensive ongoing work here.)

I started as a Perl and Java programmer but almost a total ASM newbie, just a class in Sparc assembly like ten years ago. I'm muddling through pretty well, http://alienbill.com/joustpong/ Luckily, it's on the low side of ambitious, a simple game idea I've programmed on other systems before that I know works pretty well, but I'm trying to increase the games complexity now.

• 1 month later...
I already have a game in mind and even have 4 ideas for different levels, but I know nothing at all about programming, so I hope you guy's will start from the very begining for people like me please!!!!!!!!!!!

You can start at the table of contents thread; that's about as begining as it's gonna get, reading the lessons here in order.

But honestly, the Atari 2600 is not a good platform to begin programming. Sure the games are simple, but the system is so primitive that it's one of the most difficult types of programming around. You might want to consider something like DarkBasic or BlitzBasic that lets you do 2D or 3D stuff on PC with relative ease.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I AM A NOOB. sorry if I may ask to many questions, post forums in wrong place etc etc.. I am only a kid who is 14 years old.But lets save the lifestory. I am interested in learning how to program an atari game. I got an idea already written down on paper and i drew up a screenshot of what I would like it to look like. I GOT A START. :) . If anyone here who can give me like a totoruial on this kind of stuff please message me.

Thank you for your time in reading this post,

Sincerely,

matt

I AM A NOOB. sorry if I may ask to many questions, post forums in wrong place etc etc.. I am only a kid who is 14 years old.But lets save the lifestory. I am interested in learning how to program an atari game. I got an idea already written down on paper and i drew up a screenshot of what I would like it to look like. I GOT A START.  :) . If anyone here who can give me like a totoruial on this kind of stuff please message me.  

Thank you for your time in reading this post,

Sincerely,

matt

Hey, give yourself some time. I got my first computer at 14... in 1978! Keep at it and your college grades will suffer because you'd rather hack some assembly language code. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Looks like I'm extremely late on reading these guidelines to programming. LOL! ;)

I've taken a couple years of C++ in high school, and refreshed on it in College before grad. Is that gonna help me any with Atari 2600 programming or with anything related to 6502? I've always wanted to create simple video games, even tried to hack a couple but failed miserably.

But I don't have the patience to create a highly sophistacated game. That's why I think the Atari 2600 is the best way to go. Glad to be here, and hopefully, I can learn from the stuff that's posted here and see if it will help me on my way to a working game.

• 3 weeks later...