IGNORED

Floppy Emu on a 2c

BydoEmpire

So as far as I can tell, the Floppy Emu is pretty much worthless with a Apple //c on rom v3. My only thought is to use disk copy to copy files from the floppy emu to a real blank 5 1/4" disk and run from there. Seems like it should work if the games aren't heavily protected.

Anyone else have good solutions?

I've heard there's some jumper you can add to make it boot to the external floppy drive, but I haven't found any directions. Anyone try this?

So as far as I can tell, the Floppy Emu is pretty much worthless with a Apple //c on rom v3. My only thought is to use disk copy to copy files from the floppy emu to a real blank 5 1/4" disk and run from there. Seems like it should work if the games aren't heavily protected.

I've heard there's some jumper you can add to make it boot to the external floppy drive, but I haven't found any directions. Anyone try this?

Sounds like you need this:

https://github.com/mgcaret/rom4x

• Like 1

"Now you will need a 65C02 cross assembler. The current codebase is developed using ca65 from the cc65 project. (Note: The code was developed originally using xa).

Finally you will need Ruby and Rake."

I gather fear of the wrath of Apple has prevented the author from providing the ROM directly?

Maybe, but if an enterprising individual were to offer a rom for sale at a nominal fee I suspect I'd be inclined to take advantage.

I have the Floppy Emu on my Apple 2c and it is AWESOME. What I did was purchase the Apple Disk Drive A/B Switch and Cable and ran a floppy cable from the internal floppy connector through the back aux/monitor port above the port connector and below the plastic, connected it to the switch, and back to the internal drive. Then I also connected the Floppy Emu to the switch, and I can very easily switch between the internal drive and the Floppy Emu. If I want to use it in Smart Port mode, I move it to the external floppy connector on the back with the provided adapter. It meets all of my needs. For the cables running through the back, they are both longer, and on the Floppy Emu I used the short internal one that came with the IIc.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Or if you only need one drive... the floppy emu, open up your //c, disconnect the original floppy drive from the motherboard, and plug in the floppy emu. Run the ribbon cable right out of the back where the alternate disk drive port is. I like the AB Switch idea though.

• Like 1

I have the Floppy Emu on my Apple 2c and it is AWESOME. What I did was purchase the Apple Disk Drive A/B Switch and Cable and ran a floppy cable from the internal floppy connector through the back aux/monitor port above the port connector and below the plastic, connected it to the switch, and back to the internal drive. Then I also connected the Floppy Emu to the switch, and I can very easily switch between the internal drive and the Floppy Emu. If I want to use it in Smart Port mode, I move it to the external floppy connector on the back with the provided adapter. It meets all of my needs. For the cables running through the back, they are both longer, and on the Floppy Emu I used the short internal one that came with the IIc.

FWIW, that's what I did and it worked great. It took all of about 15 minutes. I haven't used my floppy drive since, but nice to know it's ready to go if I want it.

FWIW, that's what I did and it worked great. It took all of about 15 minutes. I haven't used my floppy drive since, but nice to know it's ready to go if I want it.

Glad to help! This information wasn't available when I took the plunge and I wanted to get the word out there for others. The FloppyEmu is a great solution for Apple IIc owners in this configuration. It also works with my Mac LCIII and allowed me to get that going along with a SCSI2SD, so it was worth double for every penny. Since I bought it, it now also supports 3.5" drive support on the IIc. I am hoping that one day it will emulate multiple daisy chained drives at the same time. Not that I really need this, but it would be cool.

Im a little confused by your statement the Floppy EMU works great on a IIc.

have you put some images on the SDcard? If so just catalog the disk and run the disk/file.

If you want it as your main drive someone already suggested open the machine and put the cable from the EMU directly to the board. no need for a ROM 4x (even though its a really cool mod, I have the %x in my Apple IIc Plus).

Im a little confused by your statement the Floppy EMU works great on a IIc.

have you put some images on the SDcard? If so just catalog the disk and run the disk/file.

If you want it as your main drive someone already suggested open the machine and put the cable from the EMU directly to the board. no need for a ROM 4x (even though its a really cool mod, I have the %x in my Apple IIc Plus).

He has since figured it out (see the later posts in this thread). I had not heard of the ROM 4x before. I googled it and it looks to be very awesome. Do you know of a way I could get this created for me without having to build it and program the ROM chip myself? I don't really *need* it, but it sounds worth pursuing anyway.

He has since figured it out (see the later posts in this thread). I had not heard of the ROM 4x before. I googled it and it looks to be very awesome. Do you know of a way I could get this created for me without having to build it and program the ROM chip myself? I don't really *need* it, but it sounds worth pursuing anyway.

Join the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5251478676/ the creator of the ROM is in the group and there are several that will burn you a ROM and ship it for about 10$

Unrelated... But I recently bought a minty //c external disk drive from ebay. Obviously it's plugged into the Drive B port. What I didn't realize until after messing around with it, is that both drive ports are part of the same "SLOT". I was getting confused with slots and ports. LOL!

So Slot 6 is for the disk drives and apparently the computer recognizes which one is Drive A and Drive B. So now that I figured that out... I decided that I'm going to get some disks, copy GEOS (A GUI OS for the //c) from my emu on to a disk, and boot from it on Drive A. From there, I should be able to open other disks from Drive B via GEOS. I guess the whole point of GEOS is to theoretically make it easier and more interactive as opposed to using BASIC commands.

I do think it's kinda cool using and GUI and a mouse with a computer that was ultimately designed to mainly function from BASIC.

• 1 year later...

My //c's internal floppy drive died.  My FloppyEmu always gave an error when writing, so I've been using my internal floppy to save games.  Too bad, as I had a killer Temple of Apshai character that's now lost.  Anyways, I figure now is a good time to get the Floppy Emu writes working.  I don't recall a specific error code, I'll have to double check, but I tried a number of blank disc images but any kind of write operation (at least, the ones I've tried like Apshai's 'format save disk') gives an error on the display and the operation fails.

Anyone else? Simple fix?  Anything I should check out?  I did verify the blank disk images have write permissions, I'm copying to the SD card from my Mac.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:02 AM, R.Cade said:

You download the binary package and burn them to EPROM.

But you didn't link to a binary package. 

"Again: There is still some "building" to do, no full, ready to burn, binary will be provided by me, but I've tried to make it as easy as possible for you to create one."

(..except leaving it unclear how to build these.)

Edited by towmater

41 minutes ago, towmater said:

But you didn't link to a binary package. 

"Again: There is still some "building" to do, no full, ready to burn, binary will be provided by me, but I've tried to make it as easy as possible for you to create one."

(..except leaving it unclear how to build these.)

On that page, there is a link that says "The binary release". Not sure how more clear that could be.

Pardon me for attempting to help. It seems they stopped providing the binaries and instead there is a script to build it now. It looks like the script file actually downloads the ROM and everything, so it should do it all for you.  When I downloaded it a year ago two ago, it was just a bin file so I figured it was still like that. 

There are some instructions with it on how to do it in the readme files, but it requires some familiarity with shell commands, etc. If you are on Windows, it uses Cygwin/Bash.

Edited by R.Cade