IGNORED

Corcomp MOD Question and just saying hello

TI99GUY

Hello

Its been many years that my TI has been in storage. My family is doing some very late Spring Cleaning and I just came across my TI which collected a lot of dust. After going through all of my parts I decided to tear down my expansion box and clean it up as good as possible. I also thought that I might have to re-cap some of my boards as they have sat a long time. I opened my Corcomp disk controller casing and to my surprise it is unlike any that I have seen before. Their is some type of add on board or modification where the Western Digital chip goes. Any ideas on what this mod is or does? I would also like to get some advice as if I should re-cap my boards or leave them until I run into a problem. They all seem to work but I have OCD and like to normally fix/repair things just due to age.

post-62021-0-09121000-1505787597_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The original chip was a WD2793A, at least on those boards that I saw.

Edit: There is a version from Miller's Graphics which uses the WD1773. So this looks as if here, the MG ROMs are used in a 2793-board, and the adapter board turns it into the actual MG version from the hardware point of view.

Edited by mizapf

Those daughter boards were put onto the original 2793 boards to modify them to use with the 1773, as already noted. CorComp did this because the 2793 chips in circulation at that time were really unreliable (a bad lot of chips hit the channel that had something like an 80% failure rate) CorComp tested the chips they had, put the good ones into boards, and rethought their design to avoid the 2793 chip in the future. The daughter boards were made to allow them to actually use the boards they already had on hand, since they didn't have anywhere near enough good 2793 chips to fill them. This was all published at some point back in the day--either by CorComp directly or by MG. . .IIRC

• Like 3

What a wealth of information! I guess I asked in the right place. What is the socket right in the middle that is un-populated for? Is that just where the board is soldered down to the main board? So I assume from what you are saying is that a 2793 is hiding underneath that daughter board?

I already put it back in the casing but I can remove it again to take pictures of the back side if you would like them.

• 4 years later...
On 9/18/2017 at 9:20 PM, TI99GUY said:

Hello

Its been many years that my TI has been in storage. My family is doing some very late Spring Cleaning and I just came across my TI which collected a lot of dust. After going through all of my parts I decided to tear down my expansion box and clean it up as good as possible. I also thought that I might have to re-cap some of my boards as they have sat a long time. I opened my Corcomp disk controller casing and to my surprise it is unlike any that I have seen before. Their is some type of add on board or modification where the Western Digital chip goes. Any ideas on what this mod is or does? I would also like to get some advice as if I should re-cap my boards or leave them until I run into a problem. They all seem to work but I have OCD and like to normally fix/repair things just due to age.

post-62021-0-09121000-1505787597_thumb.jpg

DiskController-corcomp daughter board.jpg

• Like 3