IGNORED

A simple battle game! Jukes Battle - Atari 2600 Edition.

GradiusLover2000

Thanks for putting in the work on this! :thumbsup:

I notice some other games on your page.

Any info on what those are?

Since they may also be of interest. :grin:

Well, as it turns out, the game was originally for windows 32-bit! You can play any of those versions, too if you want; if you have the money. The current price on the fullest version (includes music, fonts, and 256 levels with possible powerups) is $1.49 USD. Edit: this version is called Jukes - Redux.

The older atari version (that doesn't have the word "battle" in it) is the same style as jukes redux, except 32 levels, no music, and no sprite acceleration.

Edited by GradiusLover2000

Any recommendations?

EDIT: I AM ADDING SOUND AT SOME POINT, JUST NOT SURE WHAT KINDS.

Besides adding sound effects, you could limit where the player can go. For example, the player can go off the top or bottom of the screen and disappear sometimes. The game could display the current score and high score at the end. You could have some kind of title screen. The sprites could be animated. The color orange used for the playfield pixels doesn't look that great on the gray background that you've chosen. You could try this tool that can help you find colors that might look great on top of each other:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html#ntsc_color_tool

Besides adding sound effects, you could limit where the player can go. For example, the player can go off the top or bottom of the screen and disappear sometimes. The game could display the current score and high score at the end. You could have some kind of title screen. The sprites could be animated. The color orange used for the playfield pixels doesn't look that great on the gray background that you've chosen. You could try this tool that can help you find colors that might look great on top of each other:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html#ntsc_color_tool

You're looking at the wrong game, silly ;) the game is Jukes Battle, not just Jukes. That version you are talking about i lost the source code for :(

You're looking at the wrong game, silly ;) the game is Jukes Battle, not just Jukes. That version you are talking about i lost the source code for :(

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong one. Most of the things I mentioned could still apply, though. If you are going to use that yellowish background, the sprites should probably be a little darker.

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong one. Most of the things I mentioned could still apply, though. If you are going to use that yellowish background, the sprites should probably be a little darker.

Yeah, I'll darken the sprites. I'm going to leave out the title screen because back in the 80s a two player game on the atari didn't have one (Combat, for example). And then there's animation; i'll add some of that for the ghosts, too, and probably make the actual player 12 or so pixels high to incorporate a body animation, but other than that i will probably also add a "winner:" screen.

• Like 1

Okay, so I did as much as I could to polish it! Its is now an 8k rom with 32 maps to choose from before you battle! The game is no longer free, and will now cost $1.79

You're welcome to charge whatever you'd like. But there's enough half-finished, mediocre bB games out there, that a game without a demo or screenshots, from a relatively unknown developer, isn't likely to get a lot of purchases.

Good luck though.

You're welcome to charge whatever you'd like. But there's enough half-finished, mediocre bB games out there, that a game without a demo or screenshots, from a relatively unknown developer, isn't likely to get a lot of purchases.

Good luck though.

Thanks for the idea! A free demo (mapless version of the same game, actually...) is now on the same site link for those who are skeptical to buy it!

• 4 months later...