IGNORED

VCR Repair

Oldschool80skid

Hello,

I have a Magnavox VCR/DVDR Combo unit that needs repair (Model No. ZV427MG9).

I cannot find any local businesses in a 50 mile radius at my zip code 19804 that service VCR's.

I know VCR's are basically obsolete, but I wanted to transfer old VHS to DVD and this is actually my fathers unit.

The unit does power up and the DVDR works fine. The issue is that the unit will not play any VHS tapes. Once the tape is inserted, the unit will pull the tape to the head and then power down. Once I power the unit back up, it will disengage the tape from the head and eject.

I was hoping someone in this forum could recommend a person or business. I am willing to ship the unit out.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

If you want to do a transfer, then it may just be better to get a good VCR from GoodWill (<$20) and a DVDr unit or a video capture card.

The likely issue is that a sensor is faulty. Here is the document i have used to service my VCRs for 30 years (If you go by that however,

I was servicing VCRs at -17 years old. =P)

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/vcrfaq.htm

it honestly is probably cheaper to buy a replacement vcr/dvd combo recorder than service the one you've got, once you take into account shipping two ways, etc. might be able to snag one on shopgoodwill/amazon/ebay. just my two cents.

New units seem to be going for around $550.

Funai ZV427FX4 VCR/DVD Recorder Player With HDMI 1080p DVD/VHS Combo

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Funai-ZV427FX4-VCR-DVD-Recorder-Player-With-HDMI-1080p-DVD-VHS-Combo/995175464

I would hope the repair cost with shipping is far less.

If you want to do a transfer, then it may just be better to get a good VCR from GoodWill (<$20) and a DVDr unit or a video capture card.

The likely issue is that a sensor is faulty. Here is the document i have used to service my VCRs for 30 years (If you go by that however,

I was servicing VCRs at -17 years old. =P)

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/vcrfaq.htm

Thanks. I will most likely pick up the Roxio converter and use with one of my other working VCRS.

Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus (PC)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Roxio-Easy-VHS-to-DVD-3-Plus-PC/20434695

I would still like to get the unit fixed.

Thanks for the technical guide, but unfortunately I lack the necessary skills beyond cleaning the tape head and contact points to effect any necessary repairs.

Edited by Oldschool80skid

New units seem to be going for around $550.

Funai ZV427FX4 VCR/DVD Recorder Player With HDMI 1080p DVD/VHS Combo

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Funai-ZV427FX4-VCR-DVD-Recorder-Player-With-HDMI-1080p-DVD-VHS-Combo/995175464

I would hope the repair cost with shipping is far less.

Yikes! That unit must have some crazy features (no idea what) that is driving up the price. I just assumed it was a standard combo recorder, which has been around for about 20 or so years, nothing too special in the typical technology. Best of luck!

Yikes! That unit must have some crazy features (no idea what) that is driving up the price. I just assumed it was a standard combo recorder, which has been around for about 20 or so years, nothing too special in the typical technology. Best of luck!

Nope! they tend(ed) to go around $75 for the cheapest ones. They were discontinued last year. The stand-alone ones were killed off in '08. And the $75 were so bare bones it was sad...

On the other hand, I bought my 1st VCR (I used family member's VCRs for most of my life) for $20 at goodwill. Panasonic AG-1950.

Hello,

I have a Magnavox VCR/DVDR Combo unit that needs repair (Model No. ZV427MG9).

I cannot find any local businesses in a 50 mile radius at my zip code 19804 that service VCR's.

I know VCR's are basically obsolete, but I wanted to transfer old VHS to DVD and this is actually my fathers unit.

The unit does power up and the DVDR works fine. The issue is that the unit will not play any VHS tapes. Once the tape is inserted, the unit will pull the tape to the head and then power down. Once I power the unit back up, it will disengage the tape from the head and eject.

I was hoping someone in this forum could recommend a person or business. I am willing to ship the unit out.

Thanks!!

I hope this'll be of help, and least interest. Just a few days ago I came across a VCR Repair shop still in existence, located in Montgomery Village, in Maryland. I happened to be driving by and was amazed to see the sign saying VCR Repair from the road. I know it's not Delaware, but it is a drive that could be done as a day trip. I made sure to take pictures of this find!

post-33467-0-95033900-1506526292_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-21488600-1506526315_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-75978100-1506526337_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-48381900-1506526360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blazing Lazers

I hope this'll be of help, and least interest. Just a few days ago I came across a VCR Repair shop still in existence, located in Montgomery Village, in Maryland. I happened to be driving by and was amazed to see the sign saying VCR Repair from the road. I know it's not Delaware, but it is a drive that could be done as a day trip. I made sure to take pictures of this find!

Thanks!!! I called and they do still service VCRs. I will be sending out my unit to them next week.

• Like 1