IGNORED

New tiny project: KEYCON keyboard adapter for XL/XE

tf_hh

So, I assume that because of the thin PCB size it is still possible to insert the original keyboard mylar after using KEYCON for those systems that are still original ?

Yes. The thickness of 0.8mm is the same like used in the 600XL, where a little adapter PCB with resistors is found.

• Like 2

Payment sent for two boards. Will the final version be smaller as mentioned or same as pictured in first post? First version will likely suit my purposes fine, but smaller is even better! :)

Thanks! The final board is 59x69 mm. I arranged the keys and the traces for the keys in that way, that you can cut the PCB after the last row of contacts without damaging anything, if you want.

Jurgen

• Like 1

Jurgen, PayPalled and PMed you, adding an extra one :)

Any pictures of the final board ?

Do you have a reference for the push-buttons you used (with the higher and lower buttons) so I'll order the right ones :) ?

Would this be right ?

https://www.hobbyelectronica.nl/product/push-button-6x6x5/

Edited by Level42

My choice of colors would be:

Break : Orange

Reset : Red

Option: White

Select: Blue

Start : Green

......and only now I realize there isn't a HELP button.....mmmmm.....that's a bit of a shame.......HELP is very helpful with U1MB ........guess it should be possible to hack it on....maybe a Rev.2 Jurgen ? :D

Thanks! The final board is 59x69 mm. I arranged the keys and the traces for the keys in that way, that you can cut the PCB after the last row of contacts without damaging anything, if you want.

Jurgen

Any chance of posting an image of the final version for us to admire. :-o

Oh yea, sent payment yesterday! :grin:

Do you have a reference for the push-buttons you used (with the higher and lower buttons) so I'll order the right ones :) ?

Would this be right ?

https://www.hobbyelectronica.nl/product/push-button-6x6x5/

Yes, these are right ones. It´s standard tactile pushbuttons with 6 x 6 mm and four pins. The height vary on the height of the actuator.

A good international source (for U.S. residents and all other) is Mouser. Search for "OMRON B3F", then you will find a lot of suitable pushbuttons in different heights and colors.

Jurgen

Any chance of posting an image of the final version for us to admire. :-o

Of course, when the final version PCBs have come in ;)

Here´s a simple 3D model of the final PCB. The drill holes fits well in the real thing, this picture is made by a freeware Eagle BRD to 3D tool which has some bugs ;)

post-15670-0-32864700-1507276832.png

Jurgen

Hello Andre

My choice would be:

Start: Blue

Select: Yellow

Option: Pink

Reset: Purple

Break: White

But I guess those colors are not available (in this combination of colors)

Sincerely

Mathy (who owns two XEGS)

I meant the LED buttons that I linked to Mathy......click the link to see the colors..

Was just "dreaming out loud" :)

Edited by Level42

Of course, when the final version PCBs have come in ;)

Here´s a simple 3D model of the final PCB. The drill holes fits well in the real thing, this picture is made by a freeware Eagle BRD to 3D tool which has some bugs ;)

attachicon.gifKEYCON_PCB_3D.PNG

Jurgen

Cool, what tool is that ?.....(buggy or not)

EDIT: this one ? http://3dbrdviewer.cytec.bg/

Edited by Level42

Yes, this is the one I use. Some items are wrong or will be mis-interpretated. This website is online for years, I use the last Cadsoft Eagle version 7.7, maybe this programmer of this feature only fully supports up to Eagle 5.x or 4.x, but for quick view it´s a good thing.

• Like 1

Received my two boards a few days ago already and they're awesome !!!

It will take some time until the coloured buttons will arrive from China so I picked up some black buttons today and installed them.

I also already modded one of the boards.

Not sure why BREAK was selected as one of the buttons by Jürgen but with the U1MB and the built-in tests I thought HELP would be a more useful key to have on this board....

So I scraped through the two tracks going to the BREAK button and found out what the combination HELP key was with this table:

http://members.casema.nl/hhaydn/howel/logic/burched/atari800xl_kbd_matrix.gif

HELP key is between 8 and 11 so soldered two wires to those lines....and it works....

You can do this with any key you like....but I guess the letter A isn't very useful.....for instance ;);)

post-25272-0-49679400-1508616982_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-67386500-1508616993_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-39571100-1508617010_thumb.jpg

Edited by Level42
  • Like 3