IGNORED

Tutorvision games - Interest check

Alex.Pace

Now for some of the more techie tests...

"csumexec" ROM (posted earlier in this thread, thanks) results are below. The 0400-04FF does not match the expected 'e151aab2' and 2000-2FFF does not match the expected '43c145e1' that the full Tutorvision would show. In fact, the ranges that start with 2000, 7000, and E000 (which are all used by the ECS that is not installed) have the same value. I presume that 82277125 means the code saw nothing there (read all FFFF). Since 2000-2FFF is empty, this shows my ROM is definitively NOT the WBEXEC (as we already suspected).

post-37124-0-13398300-1513196296_thumb.jpg

For comparison, here is csumexec when run in jzintv configured as an original Mattel Intellivision. The results are similar; only the extra RAM at 0400 and the new GROM at 3000 are different from my system, as expected.

post-37124-0-78553800-1513201098_thumb.png

One thought I had on the 0400-04FF values: since this is run against the extra RAM, might different Tutor Pro systems show different values since the RAM likely has garbage. I haven't checked whether this value changes on each power off/on or reset; I only ran the test once. I would expect jzintv emulator to return a consistent value since it likely consistently initializes all RAM with 0000. This is just a guess...

"superpro" ROM (posted earlier in the thread) results are below. There is just a green screen; no "meaningful image" nor trash. Might this ROM have a bug or incompatibility with this system or does solid green mean something?

post-37124-0-46301800-1513197005_thumb.jpg

The last techie test I ran was the ROM from Test Cart version 4.1b (the MTE-201 test cart has an older version 3).

Summary: Tests fail, but isn't surprising.

The 4.1b cart has a cool feature where it tries to identify the system it is on. In the lower left, "O2" is displayed. This value changes based on what system you run it on. The values I've seen there are:

• M1 - original Intellivision EXEC
  • M2 - Intellivision II EXEC (going from my memory, I'm 99% confident)
  • O1 - Sears Intellivision EXEC
  • O2 - my Tutor Pro (hmmm...)
post-37124-0-52308700-1513198037_thumb.jpg

The test ROM thinks that something is wrong with my system. It briefly displays early on

"Failure at Test P". If the service manual matches Test Cart v4.1b, then the ROM thinks there is something wrong the the STIC. It states this test "verifies that the top left and bottom right corner of the screen register proper interactions at all offset positions"

Here's the final failure screen that shows 3 chips that have issues. The displayed board layout doesn't match the Tutor Pro (wrong positions, wrong number of chips displayed, probably wrong names too). Still it is interesting to look at the results. The "failed" chips are:

• U03 - EXEC ROM
  • U04 - STIC
  • U05 - GROM
post-37124-0-28583600-1513198899_thumb.jpg

There are 2 things I take away from these results:

• Test Cart 4.1b doesn't know about the Tutorvision.
  • The Test Cart thinks my EXEC is not a match to the other ROMs. I expected a match to the Mattel EXEC 1.

Maybe the Test Cart made a mistake since I've seen random test failures on real hardware. I only had time to run the test once so this might be a false negative result; I need to rerun this test. Interestingly, csumexec shows the same value for 1000-1FFF on an original Mattel Intellivision (well, at least in jzintv). At this point, I expect the Test Cart glitched or it does something more than just read the EXEC ROM range at 1000-1FFF, especially since csumexec shows a match to the Mattel EXEC 1.

• Like 1

I'm pretty surprised of it not working :? I'm in the dark.

Has it been run on real hardware or just in jzintv? Maybe there's a difference? I'm just grasping at straws here. While I did try to run it multiple times via the reset button (the LTO can't reset the system), I can try a few more times.

Has it been run on real hardware or just in jzintv? Maybe there's a difference? I'm just grasping at straws here. While I did try to run it multiple times via the reset button (the LTO can't reset the system), I can try a few more times.

Only tested in emulator, but there shouldn't be any difficulty in real hardware (famous last words) because it only writes extra graphics inside the extra GRAM memory.

Find annex the source code, nothing really complicated.

superpro.bas

cutegirl.bas

cutegirl.bmp

superpro.rom

• Like 1

For comparison, here is csumexec when run in jzintv configured as an original Mattel Intellivision. The results are similar; only the extra RAM at 0400 and the new GROM at 3000 are different from my system, as expected.

One thought I had on the 0400-04FF values: since this is run against the extra RAM, might different Tutor Pro systems show different values since the RAM likely has garbage. I haven't checked whether this value changes on each power off/on or reset; I only ran the test once. I would expect jzintv emulator to return a consistent value since it likely consistently initializes all RAM with 0000. This is just a guess...

The checksum on ram being different with an emulator is expected. I wouldn't expect to use checksum on ram to identify anything. The checksum on $400-$4ff gives e3111634 for an Intellivision II exec rom in jzintv [and mame]. Checksum on $2000-$2FFF of 43c145e1 should be enough to identify a Tutorvision exec.

It's great you got it working.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Some more testing:

• The Test Cart 4.1b is consistent. It always reports that the EXEC ROM is bad. It would cool is someone could look that ROM and see what it tests or sees that makes it thing the EXEC ROM is bad.
  • superpro.rom is consistent. It always displays the same green screen. However, it isn't the only game. Are these all IntyBASIC games (wild hunch)? Here's the games I've seen show the same green screen:
    • superpro.rom
    • Flappy Bird
    • Hotel Bunny
    • It's Snow Fun
    • Oh Mummy!
    • Stunt Cycle (both the May 13th, 2016 release and the September 26th, 2016)
    • Super Pixel Bros
    • Ultimate Pong
    • Copter Command
    • Note: I noticed that the IntyBASIC ShowCase Volume I v0.99g worked fine, as did Clowns and Balloons

In tutorvision emulation, of the ones I tested, those all work. I found DK Arcade (japanese update) doesn't start and Ms. Pacman has messed up graphics. Ms. Pacman also has messed up graphics with ECS in emulation. So far, Worm Whomper, is the only one of the original cartridges that has messed up graphics with Tutorvision. Let us know if you find any others. We know the reason for messed up graphics but there must be a reason the others not starting.

Edited by mr_me

Some more testing:

• The Test Cart 4.1b is consistent. It always reports that the EXEC ROM is bad. It would cool is someone could look that ROM and see what it tests or sees that makes it thing the EXEC ROM is bad.
  • superpro.rom is consistent. It always displays the same green screen. However, it isn't the only game. Are these all IntyBASIC games (wild hunch)? Here's the games I've seen show the same green screen:
    • superpro.rom
    • Flappy Bird
    • Hotel Bunny
    • It's Snow Fun
    • Oh Mummy!
    • Stunt Cycle (both the May 13th, 2016 release and the September 26th, 2016)
    • Super Pixel Bros
    • Ultimate Pong
    • Copter Command
    • Note: I noticed that the IntyBASIC ShowCase Volume I v0.99g worked fine, as did Clowns and Balloons

I was going to say that IntyBASIC got some changes but the IntyBASIC ShowCase Volume already had the new code :?

This exceeds my brain, intvnut where are you! I need you to come to save us! :)

I was going to say that IntyBASIC got some changes but the IntyBASIC ShowCase Volume already had the new code :?

This exceeds my brain, intvnut where are you! I need you to come to save us! :)

Would you be able to figure out more of these kinds of issues if you had one of these Tudor-Pro systems to work with directly?

My question earlier, about the large capacitor sticking out, was if it would physically prevent the metal shield from being installed. If not than the presence of a metal shield seen through the vents would not absolutely rule out tutorvision boards.

Apologies for the delayed answer about the capacitor and the metal shield. The final verdict is... there is no room for a metal shield. The capacitor is tall enough that it almost touches the plastic case.

This means all Tutor Pro boards don't have a metal shield.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...