IGNORED

Would 3rd party power supply work with TurboGrafx 16?

mtshark7

Yup, since this one is listed to be compatible with the Genesis, the polarity should be correct. However I agree with the above that the current seems a little on the low side if the TurboGrafx-16 is specified to draw 7.66W and this one delivers 6.12W at most. Then again I seem to remember at least the European Mega Drive 1 has a power supply rated at 10V 850 mA = 8.5W. I don't know what the original US Genesis console or PSU is rated for, so perhaps the numbers are exaggerated.

• Like 1

Well in the case of the original Genesis/Megadrive, they have 2 7805 1amp output voltage regulators in them. So the power supplies were usually at least 1amp and I want to say 1.2amp on the earliest ones with 10v output.

But to mimic what others have said, a model 1 Genesis or SMS power supply can be used on the TG-16 without issue. That is how I always operated my TG-16 when I picked it up console only in the early 2000's.

Given how different the power supplies are, I guess they took what was avalaible at the time.

I always though that it was one reason why the European NES and SNES used AC to AC power supply, it probably make certifications for each country easier to pass than a DC one; and probably allowed to account for different power grids (UK = 240 volts : most of Europe : 220 volts - some remote places in Belgium, France and Italy still used 110 volts up to 1990, so wonky cheap 110volts to 220 volts power supplies used.)

I also remember seeing Atari 2600 power supplies ranging between 400mA and 800mA - most likely, by the end of the 80's, 400Ma power supplies were getting rarer and so, more expensive, prompting Atari to use a more common, cheaper power supply.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I've decided not to use that power supply due to the amps being less than the console requires.

Below I took a pic of the Genesis model 1 power supply for reference.

I've also researched this tidbit of information about finding a replacement power supply for your game consoles. (See pic)

I ended up buying this 3rd party genesis model 1 power supply and hopefully it will be similar to the actual one.

I'll update everyone on here once the power supply arrives :-)50f7c983e64b0fc50ac77174d92fcce5.jpgc6d8ad42e9463ed91d37fb983eeb5a0c.jpg7b20c4da292591bcc2d22f27490e6949.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So the Genesis Model 1 3rd party power supply came in and it works. The system fires up and there is video but no audio...I've been looking online and they say the rf module can go bad.

I guess I'm going to have to wait for my Video booster to come in the mail for AV output.

So should I stick with this power supply?485989b265e5ed2dc619ad5844b4d702.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk