IGNORED

Atari JagDuo PCB discovered!

Clint Thompson

sam, was trying his best to keep stock prices up, this comes from a couple of things that atari was not, profitable and cutting cost of operations is one way.

the other thing is announcing new products are coming to save the day, so the lynx in 89, falcon in 92, jaguar in 93, jagcd 95,

should of had a hd jag headset, also jag duo, jag 2.0

future machines that will bring in money are sometimes more valuable for a stock then a real machine that bombed

Edited by Pete5125

• 3 months later...

Is anyone looking into creating a run of pcbs? Or is that wishful thinking on my part :)

My intent with having obtained all the design files is to have that done one way or another, permitting all the loose ends can be tidied up with a realistic chance of a handful actually becoming populated. It could happen. The guy who was originally doing the tedious file conversion task is overwhelmingly busy as of late with real life work, so I'm considering alternative options. Not cheap or easy.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

My intent with having obtained all the design files is to have that done one way or another, permitting all the loose ends can be tidied up with a realistic chance of a handful actually becoming populated. It could happen. The guy who was originally doing the tedious file conversion task is overwhelmingly busy as of late with real life work, so I'm considering alternative options. Not cheap or easy.

What ever happened to this ?

What ever happened to this ?

Have the custom Orbit (Butch) chip files now. Waiting on a few PCB alterations and then several unpopulated boards will be manufactured for populating and testing, guessing July.

At the end of the day, no one really wants a JagDuo since they'll be able to play all the CD games on a regular Jag with the upcoming SD cart.

• Like 3

I would disagree. I'll have one please. :D

I'm just sorry I've not been able to be helpful or even particularly responsive on this project. :(

Absolutely fantastic you're getting to the point of getting some boards produced and built up.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

I would disagree. I'll have one please. :D

I'm just sorry I've not been able to be helpful or even particularly responsive on this project. :(

Absolutely fantastic you're getting to the point of getting some boards produced and built up.

No worries, I completely understand your plate being full with the eagerly anticipated SD cart and other goodies. Hopefully you'll have a board to tinker with sometime in the near future... :)

Who is this "no one?"

It still needs a really good Tetrispherey-like game as a pack-in. ;-)

I for one would buy a JagDuo in a heartbeat. And i'd sacrifice a working Jag/JagCD for parts if they were needed to populate the board.

That being said; it's your time/life Clint; you don't owe anyone anything on this project if you have lost steam to move it forward.

My enthusiasm is very much still alive, it's just a slow project to progress sadly. I remain hopeful that a few will be built and functional, at the very least.

• Like 4

Congrats on keeping the enthusiasm on such a project, anything electrical engineering for hobby takes long. It's a bit of a drag when you order parts, do some testing and find errors, and then you're off to wait another couple weeks again. I'm curious how many PCB alterations you've gone through?

• Like 1

The Jaguar SD Cart might actually get a few more looking for Jag hardware, either way though, I'd love to have a Duo as I'm always a bit uncertain about my JagCD's lasting stability.

You realize that 1/2 of the JagDuo is a JagCD, right?

It's really amazing when you see negativity in these threads, lol. Honestly, who wouldn't want to see a new piece of Jaguar hardware? Especially one that didn't see the light of day...back in the day. Sure, the CD is part of it...but it doesn't mean it has to be as "unreliable" as the original, right? I've not had any problems with my Jag CD's, but I bought them all new, and treated them kindly. :)

Edited by Warp12
  • Like 2

It's not negativity but sarcasm and realism.

To me, it is negativity to cast shade on someone's project, like this.

Sarcasm and realism would be to say, "You're really going to pay $400 for this used console, that most people thought sucked when it came out?". People do these things because they have a passion, not because of "realism".

So, for some, they are excited by the latest ST conversions, others by the SD reader, and some even would love to see a piece of Atari history brought to life. No reason in interject realism, logic, or practicality into this matter. :D

• Like 1

The Sega CDX has a high demand for it and sells for quite a premium. I think it would be quite amazing to have the last Atari console resurrected from drawing boards and put into production.

If it's possible to actually produce these, I have no idea if the 68k is still even available, WITH a professional case I would agree there'd be demand. I'd definitely buy one.

If it's possible to actually produce these, I have no idea if the 68k is still even available, WITH a professional case I would agree there'd be demand. I'd definitely buy one.

yes 68k from questionable generic manufacturers or circuit pulls or unused NOS.