IGNORED

Atari JagDuo PCB discovered!

Clint Thompson

5 hours ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

Could do what was done on the model 1 Genesis. Just use a small wire harness and attache the LED physically to the lower center of the top shell. Only unlike Sega, make it with a disconnect so you can remove that top shell easier. I'm sure that would be less expensive compared to a lucite light pipe being made?

That's a good idea!

It's a shame Tim isn't available to disassemble and show internal pictures of his prototype case, if he even has it anymore.

15 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

That's a good idea!

It's a shame Tim isn't available to disassemble and show internal pictures of his prototype case, if he even has it anymore.

I've actually held that prototype case in my hands before. Way back in 2003...but we didn't take it apart and left it as it was for display in a case during my first year convention. Curt sent it along with the transparent 7800 I think and a few other cool things we had on display that year. But I don't recall that an actual LED was in it. I think it was all hollow inside and was literally just a mock up case. Not even sure it had mounting points inside it for anything to be attached into it.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:40 PM, sirlynxalot said:

What are the dimensions of a jag duo anyway? Is it larger or smaller than a jag? 

The Duo is a tad bigger or at least wider. On the PCB side:

Standard Jag is 8" W x 9" L

JagDuo is 10" W x 9.25 L

Side by side comparison the Duo layout is cleaned up quite a bit but you can really see just how similar it is to the base Jaguar without the CD interface board:

jags.thumb.jpg.03a5f818146194d87db6d08bed174693.jpg

The tedious yet somewhat fascinating real work of sourcing 176 lines worth of components has begun... though probably my favorite kind of puzzle:

duobuild.thumb.PNG.6cbcda7974784305dc04d7f4c982ea34.PNG

It appears as though Atari had the idea of including a single heatsink for Tom at some point since a Wakefield 658-60AB is listed in the BOM, which clearly didn't make the cut:

heats.PNG.55a3f4d28543b04a49ce688f03478cd6.PNG

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Shawn said:

Are you going with the original pcb shape or do you plan on resizing it to match the original jag so you can get housings for it on the cheap(er) versus making your own? That way you could at least have a bottom mold and would only need a top half when the time comes?

But then the case wouldn't be the jag duos case, which doesn't seem to curve toward the front the same way the jag case does.  That would then mean the top shell needs to be reconfigured - and between reconfiguring the shape of the plastic shell and the board to be a custom design, would it really be a recreation of atari's plans for the jag duo at that point? :)

Edited by sirlynxalot

Clint,

This is an amazing project.  I have been a long time lurker here (about 15 years or so, yeah I don't do anything fast) and have never seen such an ambitious undertaking.  I wish you the best of luck and if you do decide to go into production, please add me to the already long list of Jag Duo collectors! ?

Edited by joeatari1
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:48 AM, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Using Atari Works...nice touch. :thumbsup:

Sadly, actually. For nostalgic sake it's kind of cool but definitely not fun to use and wish it upon no one. I've since painstakingly updated the BOM so it's easier to deal with in modern day form. Have already ordered the bulk of the major components and ICs. Next round is to order all the mundane but clearly very important resistor, capacitor and crystal stuff...

duobom.thumb.jpg.8c288162c531884128cb52257483b7fc.jpg

datasheets2.thumb.png.b1f4568566f34aa39297aa98b9de3f7e.png

On 9/20/2019 at 4:14 PM, Shawn said:

Are you going with the original pcb shape or do you plan on resizing it to match the original jag so you can get housings for it on the cheap(er) versus making your own? That way you could at least have a bottom mold and would only need a top half when the time comes?

On 9/21/2019 at 10:23 AM, sirlynxalot said:

But then the case wouldn't be the jag duos case, which doesn't seem to curve toward the front the same way the jag case does.  That would then mean the top shell needs to be reconfigured - and between reconfiguring the shape of the plastic shell and the board to be a custom design, would it really be a recreation of atari's plans for the jag duo at that point? :)

As long as the PCB fits the case drawings as intended then yes, definitely want to keep everything as close to the original prototype design as possible.

Some of the parts have started arriving. I was going to completely drop the RF altogether since it likely serves no purpose but they were surprisingly easy to find. So to stay true to the original design, I figured why not:

duoparts.thumb.jpg.2e1106c56067a3487ff0494ab2ccd6ee.jpg

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 12

I find it crazy that they were still going with RF during the proposed release period (late 95/early 96?). Still, it was a transitionary period. 

Amazing work on this, I've not been on the forums for a while and probably will still be sporadic in checking in over the next month or two. But wow, great progress.

I'm wondering given that all you've done thus far, would it be worth trying to reinitiate contact with the owner of the JagDuo shell prototype? It might impress him enough to either share more info/photos/dimensions, or (if he's truly out of the scene) be willing to lend or sell you the prototype. It might be worth trying to to wow him to coax him into sharing with you.

I can only guess (probably incorrectly, probably too low ;) ) how much such a project is going to cost the end user. Yet, for whatever irrational reason, I'm going to have to get myself one immediately upon release. Always loved the proposed design. More sleek UFO/stealth bomber than toilet. ;) 

• Like 1

Going purely off very hazy memory here ?

But i seem to remember Sega bundled the UK Saturn with an RF cable rather than SCART and there was much uproar about having to pay extra to get the best picture from your Next Generation console.

Sega attempted to justify it by huge numbers of existing older TV sets in use at the time with RF sockets. 

Atari would probably of tried a similar tactic when cornered  ?