IGNORED

2048 '4K' Version

TomSon

Hi,

I’ve written a version of 2048 - a small puzzle game, originally by G. Cirulli - and kept it within

the 4K rom limit of the smallest, original GCE cartridges without having to compromise anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2048_(video_game)

post-50731-0-34988700-1506720498.jpeg

It has an attract mode, sounds and keeps the current high score in the Vectrex high score string

just like the old games (so it is temporary and you see it by pressing reset).

Obviously you can play this on a multicart where you can add games but since it is so small you can also

quite easily build your own cartridge by converting an old one using a 2732 eprom and an original Vectrex 4K pcb.

I myself used a dead Berzerk cart. whose pcb/shell was lying around here for a few years.

In case you’ve never considered this: the Vectrex masked roms have /OE and A11 switched compared to a 2732 so

you have to reroute those lines. It’s quite easy since all you have to do is cut the two lines wiggling under the eprom
on the component side and reconnect.

post-50731-0-17916400-1506720791.jpg

So I’ve just cut at the red lines (didn’t have to for /OE since that trace was already missing), rubbed

off the paint from the two traces (green) and soldered the leg directly to it from the component side.

post-50731-0-79845000-1506720889.jpg

if you want to build your own - here's the label I've printed out to stick on mine:

post-50731-0-59681100-1506721377_thumb.jpg

2048 '4K' v1.0.BIN

• Like 10

Haven't tried the Vectrex version yet, but I had a go on Android... What a great little game! After an hour's play I got 5484. Anyone else have a score to share?

And surely it would be better if it was implemented as 1 2 4 8 10 20 40 80 100 200 400 800? (Thus my high score is $156C.)

..... After an hour's play I got 5484 .....

what's the biggest tile you have managed?

i got stuck at only getting to 512 for ages (which was worrying as i started to realise if i just move the tiles around randomly without thinking i can sometimes get 512 anyway) haha

however, lately i have made a 1024 tile a few times, so might reach 2048 eventually (if i can slow down as i tend to play fast and impatiently, which no doubt is not a good idea!)

I discovered a new technique yesterday and straight away I got to the 1024 tile with 10300 as my top score. Haven't played it since. I think 2048 would have been doable but I made a mistake and then it was damage limitation. The technique? Slide all the big numbers to the top line and never slide down.

I discovered a new technique yesterday and straight away I got to the 1024 tile with 10300 as my top score. Haven't played it since. I think 2048 would have been doable but I made a mistake and then it was damage limitation. The technique? Slide all the big numbers to the top line and never slide down.

You are on the right track - there's a strategy that allows you to easily get to 1024 almost without thinking that I use myself.

Only afterwards does this strategy break down and I need to get more creative to reach 2048.

So far I haven't managed 4096 yet but I was close at one time, already had the 2048, 1024 and one 512 :P

• 4 weeks later...

This is why the original game Threes is a lot more challenging... you can't use this technique much with it.

Well, I respectfully disagree - I've played Threes for a while again and do prefer 2048.

2048 feels more like a Rubiks Cube with some randomness thrown in. There are ways of beating it one can

find/puzzle out. Plus the power-of-2 values are just mesmerizing to a mathematical person and/or 8-bit programmer.

It does mean that there is an uneven skill progression in 2048 and you need a while to get to your current

level of skill - which I myself don't find annoying. With just a small change to the rules this can be improved upon,

which doesn't affect the more complex parts later that much, but I still feel it's unnecessary.

I did however add this second ruleset to a 'deluxe' version that will see the light of day eventually. Probably.

The rule change is simple: I allow more than two of the same tile values (pre move) to be combined for an exp(2)

higher value, so 2-2-2 = 8, or 4-4-4-4 = 32.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just seen your new game "Rocks n saucers"(?) at Vectrex Roli. But only a little bit of it. I'm waiting for years for a perfect asteroids on the vectrex as I also have two original Asteroids cabinets from 1979.

The game looks so great! Is it finished already? Will it be a Vecfever exclusive?

Thank you....

Bernhard

Edited by biobern
  • Like 1