IGNORED

The Official SEGA CD/MEGA CD thread! (assuming there hasn't been one yet)

retrorussell

Both Fatal Fury Special and the Samurai Shodown ports were developed by Funcom, who were a Scandinavian developer. It's a really strange choice for SNK to hand those tasks over to them, and the ports suffer for it. FFS has an embarassing lack of background detail and character animation. The MD cartridge port of Fatal Fury 2 has it beat in both regards. SS is just ok for what it is, but it has no advantages over the MD cartridge from Takara. Not the kind of game that should have been put out on the Sega CD. Sega should really have forced some standards for games on the platform. As much as I love the Sega CD, it's pile of squandered opportunities. If you're going to release a $300 add on, then make sure you have the kind of games that grab people's attention and make them want to upgrade. I think NEC did a much better job with their CD add on, but that much less of step up from the base system than the Sega CD was for the MD.

I was far more disappointed in the lack of announcer than the additional graphics that Fatal Fury Special added in the arcade, that wasn't present here. The announcer (named B.J. Love!) really made the NEO GEO games enjoyable for me. Even if his delivery was a bit cheesy he still brought energy with his booming voice. I was also very disappointed with long load times. But at least the game had Ryo Sakazaki in it automatically as a playable character (you had to beat the game without losing one fight, I believe, in the arcade), and you could EASILY beat the game with him since the computer opponents just stood there whenever he unleashed any special attack (fireball, flying kicks, etc.). I had fun with the game.

More clips:

SPIDERMAN VS. THE KINGPIN

JOE MONTANA FOOTBALL- Even if this a very early game for the system, it's pretty awful.

MEGA SCHWARZCHILD

As much as I love the Sega CD, it's pile of squandered opportunities. If you're going to release a $300 add on, then make sure you have the kind of games that grab people's attention and make them want to upgrade.

I think Sega did try to get peoples' attention. It just backfired (re: FMV games).

Squandered opportunities? Yeah, I can't say I disagree there. Still, if I had to make a choice on an example like Samurai Shodown, I'd rather play the CD version for the improved audio alone.

I played through and finished Batman and Robin for the first time. I used the BADBADLUC level skip code a bit, but I still saw almost all the game had to offer without it infuriating me or wasting too much time. I watched all the animated scenes of course! Why else play this game?

To enjoy it, you need to read the manual to understand the pickups and cluttered HUD display. It actually gives you a fair fighting chance in most levels. You get Smart bombs and multiple missile shot upgrades. The first Ivy levels are pretty much the worst part of the game to me. I had fun with the Riddler Trucks races and the Joker lap races. I wasn't even aware of the Clayface Bat Jet final sequence until this week, although I bet I wasn't playing it correctly.

The reason I dared experiment with it again was to see the scaling. To summarize, it's not as well done to me as in Batman Returns, but it's pretty cool; it's just too bad the game isn't more fun.

• Like 1

The reason I dared experiment with it again was to see the scaling. To summarize, it's not as well done to me as in Batman Returns, but it's pretty cool; it's just too bad the game isn't more fun.

Interesting. I really like [most of] the driving stages in Batman Returns, but in Batman & Robin it seemed like they tried to replicate what driving in Los Angeles during rush hour is like. Way too much happening on the road. Maybe I'll check out that cheat too just to see later on into the game.

I'm on a bit of a 16bit binge, today I played through Hook CD. I've owned it for years, never played it past the first stages until today. I enjoy the film, for some reason we never tire of it. This game has replacement voice actors but does have the John Williams soundtrack and it is STUPENDOUS.

I found Hook to be actually well made and a lot of fun. Very nice graphical motif and animation. It got frustrating at the last levels, a pirate town, it is probably much easier if you still have the Pan sword which also shoots fireballs. The dark skeleton and pirate caves were my worst level - you have to pace yourself so an apparition flame follows you and is on screen , else it goes completely dark until it catches up. And it hurts you if it touches you.

My disc is a bit scratched, and it was glitch ingredients the bg tiles near the end. (Wow did auto correct mangle That! Should read, "and it was glitching the bg tiles near the end.") :)

• Like 3

I also played some 16bit racing games this past weekend. I gave Genesis Mario Andretti Racing several hours, played thru several circuits with the F1, leveling up my engine as I progressed. I also tried a few races of the stock car and sprint cars. This game should have been awesome with the options designed into the game, but the actual graphics, sound and racing gameplay are underwhelming. But the game is still fun, especially the challenge of passing opponents who intelligently try to block you.

This reminded me of the Sega CD game Formula 1 beyond the Limit, so I decided to give it another chance and I played it for an hour. Oh, i have tried it in the past and it never leaves a good impression. I mostly tried the very cool 1993 season missions challenges mode. But ... ugh. All the fine music fmv, and options, and all the use of the Sega CD scaling chip, yet for nothing. This game plays horribly! Blinking opponent cars, loose control, no sense of speed, and inconsistent collision. Does anyone like it?

• Like 2

I realized I posted examples of my custom inserts and lightscribe CDs on page 2 but never offered them to everyone. If anyone wants any of these, let me know. I have 129 insets in png format about 9MB each. The entire set is a 1.2GB rar file. I also have 136 lightscribe files also in png format around 350kb each. The rar file for this set is 38MB.

The inserts are for 7mm thinpack DVD cases found on E-Bay in single and double CD formats.

If I get enough requests and interest, I can try to find a way to put the files on a storage/sharing site. Here are examples of the first title.

post-39341-0-08140600-1510592063_thumb.png

post-39341-0-44977700-1510592079.png

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I believe that I'm not the only one to say this, but retrorussell's Sega-CD/MegaCD is awesome!! :thumbsup: :-D

Interesting videos, clips, information. and postings that makes me feel how fantastic this unit was for Sega and still is for the gamers that enjoy it after all these years. Thanks Russ and the rest that contribute here. Keep them coming fellas. :)

Anthony...

• Like 2

I've been using model2 Genesis on top Model1 CD. The sound is not bad but the CD audio is a bit quieter than how I like it, so I dug out my Genesis Model 1. It's the 2nd version of model1, does not say HD GRAPHICS and needs a 5pin DIN A/V cable. I was reminded why I don't use it - no A/V cable!

Called around and A store carried those , an hour and $9.99 later I had the Model1 Ginny and Model1 CD finally reunited. I played a few rounds of NHL 94, then Hook, then Mickey Mouse. I experimented with the Genesis volume mixing slider until it had a nice mix.

Well, this setup's sound is noticeably richer and with more bass response than using the genesis 2. Hook's Williams score soars and I can hear the quieter instruments better now. NHL's crowd noise is even better, adding to the authenticity of the environment. I'm running sound through an Onkyo 5.1 surround with a subwoofer.

I'm not sure why the sound is this much better, is it the mixing cable and CD unit, or the Genny1 itself, or combo of both. But it's good!

The only caveat is there is this setup produces a very slight horizontal interference band in 2 places across the screen, almoSt like RF interference. I'm using composite video, as I was with the Genesis2 setup which doesn't have that band. It's very subtle and not always noticeable, so I will live with it.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I believe that I'm not the only one to say this, but retrorussell's Sega-CD/MegaCD is awesome!! :thumbsup: :-D

Interesting videos, clips, information. and postings that makes me feel how fantastic this unit was for Sega and still is for the gamers that enjoy it after all these years. Thanks Russ and the rest that contribute here. Keep them coming fellas. :)

Anthony...

Thanks Anthony; glad this is your kind of thing! I like especially finding clips to share on the really obscure and Japan-only titles.

More of which:

TENKA FUBU

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI

NOSTALGIA 1907

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ah, that makes sense then. No reason to touch the fuse unless it's blown, and it sounds like you did just that. :)

Not really, since the SegaCD and Genesis use the same power supply (at least if they're both the same model, and I don't think you can fit a model1 in a model2 or vice versa anyway)

Not really, since the SegaCD and Genesis use the same power supply (at least if they're both the same model, and I don't think you can fit a model1 in a model2 or vice versa anyway)

At least speaking in regards to the Sega CD Model 2, the power supply looks the same but the ratings are different. Probably best to not mix them up. I have a Model 1 Genesis hooked up to a Model 2 Sega CD and I have both power supplies labeled.

• 4 years later...
11 hours ago, electricmastro said:

It was interesting seeing games like Lunar: The Silver Star use overtly anime covers by 1993 as opposed to something more western cartoon oriented, out of fear of alienation.

oTULwTL.jpg

That's something which Working Designs pioneered for the North American market.

Their earlier TurboGrafx CD releases also utilized original Japanese artwork.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koa Zo said:

That's something which Working Designs pioneered for the North American market.

Their earlier TurboGrafx CD releases also utilized original Japanese artwork.

Also interesting since their publication of Cosmic Fantasy 2 in the previous year didn't have an overtly anime cover, even though the Japanese cover was overtly anime.

LZLRuai.jpg