IGNORED

New version of Applewin Emulator.

Keatah

• 4 weeks later...

Some minor tweaks and full-screen changes.

https://github.com/AppleWin/AppleWin/releases/tag/v1.26.3.2

A pet peeve of mine is now taken care of through an option to hide annunciators while in full-screen mode. Full-screen mode should be just that, and not showing parts of the UI. Provides for a slightly more immersive experience.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

You can learn about the history of AppleWin through the help file. The AppleWin help file has 2 sections right at the top discussing it.

If you want to contact the project lead, get in touch with tomcw on github or make a suggestion right there.

https://github.com/AppleWin/AppleWin/issues

As far as updating the emulator to Platinum //e, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard, and likely the biggest changes would be the ROM image as it is different from the Enhanced //e. Maybe a softswitch here and there. Otherwise the P//e is just a reduced parts count machine with a keypad.

ADTpro has an old-school charm for me. It doesn't make use of any new hardware aside from the PC of course. And the older client like 2.41 is nicely suited to archiving old disks.

And for those of you interested.. You can bootstrap AppleWin via ADTpro. I know it's nothing special or uber-useful, but I'm easily amused and always find it "entertaining" that it can be done.

I think Applewin is about as complete and polished as it can get (at least for my purposes). I rarely use it now that I have my own Apple IIc and would much prefer to try to use my real computer instead of the emulator (except sometimes when writing and debugging code - having a text file I can copy and paste is very handy). However, I have no plans to get an Apple IIgs and would love to use something as good as Applewin in place of purchasing a IIgs. I am not sure if KEGS is that great as I haven't really played with it that much.

Ohh gosh no. Applewin needs many features and functionality added. I think KEGS is rather outdated, especially in user friendliness and standardized ways of handling disk images and changing options. There's a browser version, but who wants to play with emulators in browser? ..just another layer of needless complexity and source of lag/slowdown.

For people who have real hardware and use real hardware, Applewin & Ciderpress & Copy II+ are still indispensable for managing and working with disk images.

What features and functionality would you like to see added to Applewin? One I can think of would be to eventually emulate more of the hardware cards that were available for it, but that might not be worth the effort in many cases.

I liked the online Apple IIgs emulator, but it doesn't support the latest browsers the last time I checked. It was perfect for playing games though because you could just go there and boot it up. I would rather have an Applewin equivalent so I can save my games, etc.

I agree that Applewin, Ciderpress are indispensable for working with disk images, especially Ciderpress. Without Ciderpress, you would need Applewin and ADTPro. I still use Copy II+ on occasion, but Ciderpress meets most of my needs.

Edit: Well it turns out the online version is available as a standalone version. You can download it here: http://activegs.freetoolsassociation.com/under Stand-Alone application. This should tide me over until Applewin IIgs is ready for primetime. :-D

Edited by thorr

What features and functionality would you like to see added to Applewin?

Dot matrix printing simulation. So that PrintShop can be used.

User selectable roms.

Peripheral card roms.

More peripheral cards.

Cassette audio in/out.

Cassette port based v-sync detection.

Best-fit fractional scaling for full screen mode.

SuperSerialCard activity indicator.

RTRX real serial port.

Real game port and parallel port.

Keyboard type ahead buffer.

Programmable macro keys.

Slider to control color saturation.

User replaceable character set rom.

Assignable slots.

Mountain Music System.

Sprite board.

And more.

Some of these can be done by software.

User selectable roms. - beyond selecting between II, II+, IIe and enhanced IIe

- SPLIT allows one to load different applesoft ROMs - check Asimov

SuperSerialCard activity indicator. - programmed into software that uses SSC

Keyboard type ahead buffer. - on Nibble disk images on Asimov

Programmable macro keys. - on Nibble disk images on Asimov

User replaceable character set rom. - use fonts on hi-res screen

Sprite board. - shape capture and animation routines soon to be available for hi-res and dbl hi-res

There is nothing like a little incentive to motivate the authors of AppleWin. Send a donation their way and see if they respond. :0)

Thanks for sharing your list. Some of those are pretty cool such as the slider to control color saturation and Cassette audio in/out. Programmable macro keys can be done on the PC side.

Sprite board. - shape capture and animation routines soon to be available for hi-res and dbl hi-res. <== I am looking forward to this!!! I own "Animate" that does this, but it is limited.

Some people may believe Cassette Ports are like meh.. But, but.. back in the day when I/O options were limited and expensive, every little bit helped.

I built a "modem" that connected to the cassette port, it was slow and naturally required some manual setup, but it worked. It wasn't that hard. I also built a two-way communications wire I strung between my and my buddy's bedroom window and I could program something and send it to him that way. Think of it as peer-to-peer short range 10 meter network. It mostly worked well.

The Apple used the cassette port like an aux speaker output, and even input for digitizing sound. And we had a v-sync wire where the CP detected part of the videosignal. And software would determine vblank. And let us not forget the numerous educational science kits that used it as an I/O port. Today it's used to bootstrap machines with ADTPro, and actually run games from your iPod with Apple Game Server.

So you see.. In the Apple II, the CP was (and remains) a valuable resource. That's why it should be emulated. Every PC has audio in/out, so it'd be a matter of hooking Applewin to those jacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people may believe Cassette Ports are like meh.. But, but.. back in the day when I/O options were limited and expensive, every little bit helped.

I built a "modem" that connected to the cassette port, it was slow and naturally required some manual setup, but it worked. It wasn't that hard. I also built a two-way communications wire I strung between my and my buddy's bedroom window and I could program something and send it to him that way. Think of it as peer-to-peer short range 10 meter network. It mostly worked well.

Yes indeed regarding the cassette port. When I was in 9th grade (1983), a buddy of mine made what you described for our TI-99/4As out of $5 in Radio Shack parts. We would use that to send each other programs over the phone... for no other reason than it was cool to do!