IGNORED

Jaguar prices in 2017...

Clint Thompson

I tried Telegames, they have posted consoles NIB for £150, but they're out of stock and I assume they won't be getting any more... Tbh the prices of Jaguar's has been steadily rising, I purchased mine with all cables and a copy of Checkered Flag for £60 in 2013, the equivalent is now fetching more like £90-£100, but often with Cybermorph as a pack in... The likely reason is the rise in demand generated by the number of prominant retro gaming YouTubers who covered the console... I myself did purchase the machine as a result of this, and coverage of the machine is ever growing... As a general look at the market on the whole, there very much seems to be a search for the next big thing, the next free idea, and a lot of collector's I know are searching for significantly more obscure consoles (Amstrad GX4000, anyone?) for that 'something special' factor that other machines in the collection no longer garner. I've also noticed the beginning of a shift to a lot of exclusively Japanese machines. The sprialling price of Jaguar stock is just moving alongside most other things in the hobby as a whole... But I digress...

Sorry guys, if only I had the hindsight (and knowledge of a budding AA) at the time, I'd have dispersed as many Jags as possible at cost right here. Ok, maybe I'd charge $60-$70 (we were getting them for $49.99 on the regular) and pocket a few 'time & trouble' dollars. ;)

I always expected boxed jags to increase in value, maybe something along the lines of a boxed DC or Sega CD, but never could have imagined the prices they are commanding today. Insane.

I wanna say Jag, Virtual Boy, 32X, and a couple others hit the deep clearance bins right around the same time, but it could be a case of foggy memories. One mall EB in particular had a 6' pyramid of VBs displayed in their doorway, $19.99 each. They sat there for months. Experiences like these are why I believe that there will be a 'retro market burst' in the near future. So much of this stuff is not really rare at all, and those 'sought after' dollars will dry up once interest/demand is met during a given cycle/generation. It's already happening thanks to things like emulation and related devices. Those nude/beater Mego and Star Wars dolls that'd easily fetch $30+ each will barely bring $10 nowadays, since the market has become saturated with 'retro' figures and new product catering to the consumer's every whim. ;)

I have a boxed 32X and the entire 32X US release game library (all 36 of them). Aside from, like, two games, none of it is really worth much of anything, including the 32X itself. It's all just a matter of supply/demand. Nintendo stuff like the Virtual Boy always will have a market because there continues to be a big following for the brand with new fans being made all the time. Compare that with Sega, Atari, and NEC, and the number of people who have any interest is bound to be much more limited.

Here is one for you. A late model Ford Bronco. Ten years ago, I could have got excellent condition ones for $6K. Now, I can not touch one for under $20K. Monte Carlo SSs from the 80s used to be freebie cars, now they are in the $15K range.

All this said, people that were kids in the 80s/90s are now adults. They remember things, like VCRs, and want to experience these old technologies, despite smart phones everywhere.

I bought all four of my Jaguar consoles for $50 brand new in box. I sold the new one for $500. I played the three others and sold them CIB for $400 with NR.

Here is one for you. A late model Ford Bronco. Ten years ago, I could have got excellent condition ones for $6K. Now, I can not touch one for under $20K. Monte Carlo SSs from the 80s used to be freebie cars, now they are in the $15K range.

All this said, people that were kids in the 80s/90s are now adults. They remember things, like VCRs, and want to experience these old technologies, despite smart phones everywhere.

I bought all four of my Jaguar consoles for $50 brand new in box. I sold the new one for $500. I played the three others and sold them CIB for $400 with NR.

Oh man, I HATED those old Monte Carlo SSs from the 1980s. There was absolutely nothing "SS" about them. They came with 305ci LG4 and computer controlled carburetor (electronic emissions equipment on the carb), they were such turds. At best... low 16 second cars all day long. Probably great for an LS1 swap or something, but man... a couple of my friends had them, and I couldn't stand them. Now... the Buick / Grand National version of that car... awesome.

It kills me to think though... comparing price inflation... for old Porsches. Just 10 years ago... you could buy Porsche 911s and 912s from the late 1960s in "running" condition with little rust, for under 10 grand. There were many of them in the 5 thousand dollar range. Now, a 1967 Porsche 911 is probably going to cost you 30 grand in barely running condition. And 356s sell for over 100k.

Nuts... but hey... supply and demand!

Oh man, I HATED those old Monte Carlo SSs from the 1980s. There was absolutely nothing "SS" about them. They came with 305ci LG4 and computer controlled carburetor (electronic emissions equipment on the carb), they were such turds. At best... low 16 second cars all day long. Probably great for an LS1 swap or something, but man... a couple of my friends had them, and I couldn't stand them. Now... the Buick / Grand National version of that car... awesome.

It kills me to think though... comparing price inflation... for old Porsches. Just 10 years ago... you could buy Porsche 911s and 912s from the late 1960s in "running" condition with little rust, for under 10 grand. There were many of them in the 5 thousand dollar range. Now, a 1967 Porsche 911 is probably going to cost you 30 grand in barely running condition. And 356s sell for over 100k.

Nuts... but hey... supply and demand!

Totally agree about the SSs from the 80s. Not only were they horrible with performance, but the build quality was worse than cars from the 50/60/70s. For a real shocker, check out used prices on late model Jeep Wagoneers!

The prices these days make me realise how lucky i was when i walked into Electronics Boutique (similar to game stores now a days) in East Kilbride near Glasgow and they had brand new Jaguar machines for £10 on clear out and all games for £5 just to get rid of their stock... No CD units in though, but earlier in the year bought one for £299 off ebay, that was in a very good condition box with the games, and poly inserts - even had an extra game in their too, so I was happy with that price considering it was pretty much immaculate, but do still wish the CD units had been in that shop the day I was in there back in the 90s.

As for someone asking what machines will be next to collect - and someone recommending Nes Mini and Snes Mini, I would say no chance on that front as Nintendo are making more Nes Minis next year (item below) and are continuing production of the Snes Mini - so the second hand price on those machines will fall drastically when millions of new machines are released before the (fingers crossed) release of their next machine - the N64 Mini, which I suspect will be the most in demand 'Mini' console yet.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/12/16293660/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-back-in-stock-2018