IGNORED

Newell OSN for 400/800

slx

On 5/25/2020 at 8:27 AM, Larry said:

And did anyone every run across the elusive Newell RamRod OS board? 

Which version?

There is the MMOS board which is a replacement for the OS PCB, and there is a version called the paddle board which plugs into a ROM socket of the 800 OS PCB or the 400 main PCB.

MMOS: 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/182682-details-of-dual-os-newell-ramrod-board/?do=findComment&comment=2298565

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/3rdparty/ExpansionBoards/OS/Newell/index.htm

https://ia801204.us.archive.org/19/items/NewellIndustriesRAMRODMMOSManual/Newell Industries RAMROD MMOS manual.pdf

Paddle board:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/285460-omnimon-wiring-info-needed/?do=findComment&comment=4166401

• Like 1

I had only heard of one RamRod board from Newell.  It would be the MMOS --replacement for the OS board (personality board BITD, wasn't it?).  Great to see the manual posted.  I've never seen one of those.  I don't know why I didn't buy one of those back in my 800 days.  I did purchase an Omnimon, and I guess I saw that as sufficient. (Another great product, first for the 800 and later for the XL.)  Nice post!

On 5/25/2020 at 11:27 AM, Larry said:

Was anyone successful in using the (800) Onniview or Omnimon rom dumps in the tf_hh 48K expansion board? 

And did anyone every run across the elusive Newell RamRod OS board? 

And finally, did anyone ever find the (even more elusive) RomDos version of MyDos? Of course, this was an early version of MyDos 3.0x, so it did not support more than floppies and (I think) no ramdisk.  I've never seen it -- just read about it in the early mag. advertisements.

The Atari Museum has it now.

-Bob

On 5/25/2020 at 5:27 PM, Larry said:

Was anyone successful in using the (800) Onniview or Omnimon rom dumps in the tf_hh 48K expansion board? 

I tried OSN with Omnimon in a 400. It basically works as the machine no longer boots to memo pad and has different screen color but I didn't get the monitor to start. I put that machine aside for lack of time as it needs some other troubleshooting, too. 

8 hours ago, JR> said:

Finally got around to dumping the ROMS from my RAMROD.  Math pack was the standard Atari chip so I didn't dump it.  The hotkeys seem to be working with this version.

OSN_EF_JR.bin 8 kB · 4 downloads

Omnimon_JR.BIN 4 kB · 3 downloads

THANKS for taking the time for dumping your RAMROD roms.

Yours are essentially an OS/B load with just minor modifications. Reset vectors seem to point directly to Omnimon adddress-space (Cxxx-CFFF).

These seem more advanced / evolved versions of OS/N (They will boot without any $C000-$CFFF package, but will still take you there when pressing Select / Option, when present, plus a significant host of changes...)

OSN-EF61.rom (green background)

OSN-RROD.rom (deep-blue background)

Your OMNIMON image is the "Standard", earlier version. Not A1-A3, should still have the help-file on it. Seems untouched / genuine.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

@slx  direct!?

Have you ever managed to run the omnimon and Omniview in any of your implementations?

If yes, in the Omniview the key combination (Start-Select and Option) to activate  manually to 80 columns, works for you? For me it work only within Basic cartridge typing X=USR(49152)
Not forget to note that I use the Newel OS

55 minutes ago, santosp said:

@slx  direct!?

Have you ever managed to run the omnimon and Omniview in any of your implementations?

If yes, in the Omniview the key combination (Start-Select and Option) to activate  manually to 80 columns, works for you? For me it work only within Basic cartridge typing X=USR(49152)
Not forget to note that I use the Newel OS

I have tried OSN with tfhh's 52K board but the 400 I installed that in had different issues I haven't resolved yet. My Incognito still awaits installation....so unfortunately no practical experience.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...