IGNORED

ColecoVision/ADAM HDMI, COMPONENT VIDEO, S-Video, and using PC controllers

HDTV1080P

I mostly copy and paste from Word and well try and improve on the font size. If you have questions about any history or facts being wrong then please bring what appears to be in error to my attention. Some people surfing the web might like some brief history.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Here is some interesting information regarding the HDMI F18a upgrade on the ColecoVision that some people might find useful. ColecoVision Upgrades and Sales website link

Quotes from email communication from ColecoVision Upgrades and Sales

“The HDMI mod is just a F18a with an off the shelf scalar built into the system. I haven't looked to see if it would fit in an ADAM, but you could probably just install the F18a into the ADAM and use an external scalar if not.”

“The expansion module 3 does work with the F18a and outputs to either VGA or HDMI depending on which mod the colecovision has.”

“The Expansion module 1 requires the external video port on the expansion module that gets muxed with the video output from the VDP. Since the VDP is removed with the F18a and the VGA is coming straight off the F18a, there is no way to get the video from the EM1 to the F18a VGA. Now if you use a VGA mod, you can still use the RF box for the EM1. When I install the HDMI mod, I have to remove the RF box, so the composite mod is necessary for the EM1.”

“The F18a removes the ability to paly coleco games for RF,composite or S-Video, since the VDP is removed. So you would have to either do one or the other.”

“I haven't thought about making the HDMI a kit as it requires a lot of modification to the case to make the components fit.”

I also really like this factory new ColecoVision board with HDMI output that might be released soon.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265958-collectorvision-game-system/

Edited by HDTV1080P

Information about the S-Video conversion for the ColecoVision (plus a possible future component video and RGB kit)

The advantage of the 4-pin S-Video jack modification on the ColecoVision is that the Y Luminance (brightness) and C Chrominance (Color) information in the video signal is kept separate to offer a better picture quality over composite video. A display that offers an S-Video input will bypass the TV’s comb filter. With the lower quality composite video the Y/C information is combined on one 75-ohm RCA cable and requires the display to use its comb filer to separate the Y/C information. The EBAY dealer that is offering the S-Video upgrade is using a lm318 to provide true native Y/C separation from the ColecoVision video chip. In theory the Expansion Module #1 Atari 2600 adapter should work with S-Video, but that has not been verified yet.

The EBAY dealer is planning on in the future coming out with a new component video modification for the ColecoVision and also a RGB modification. There overall goal is to have a kit in the future that puts out everything (possible Component video, RGB, and S-Video in one kit). Its unknown if these kits will work with the standalone ADAM since they were designed for the ColecoVision (Worse case scenario standalone ADAM owners might want to purchase a ColecoVision and the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer if the standalone ADAM is not upgradable). Currently the EBAY company offers a combination RGB and S-video upgrade kit for the SNES system for only $15. Therefore soon ColecoVision owners will most likely have a wide selection of video upgrade options to choose from several different companies (Various companies and indivudals will be offering HDMI, VGA, RGB, Component video, S-Video, and composite video for the ColecoVision).

The following are select word for word quotes from the EBAY dealer

The lines are physically separated from each other for s video. For composite it's left together. Both instances using a lm318 to get the signal in line.”

“I'm currently working on how to convert the wonky component signal on the coleco to real component and then to rgb. I have a component to rgb schematic but the design won't work without doing tons of math to fix the other part.”

“If you have a CRT with component jacks you can just pass the lines right out of the TMS chip. Or buffer with a THS7314 that was you can set 75ohm impedance.”

“I have no idea about the Adam. I'm all over the place lately. Next to be tested is a 3DO rgb kit and two newer revions of the snes mini and n64 kits but with 7374 instead of the 7314/6. Which will let me set proper 75 ohm c sync and ttl sync.”

“Those will be here in a few days. Then I'm going to really hammer the coleco and come up with an open source solution to proper component and rgb. There is an old schematic for the sc-3000 that outlines basically what is needed to do a kit like that.”

“The overall goal here would be to have a kit that puts out everything”

Edited by HDTV1080P

Information on how to improve the picture and sound quality on ones ColecoVision and ADAM system

This information might be common knowledge for those that have owned their ColecoVision or ADAM for decades. However, this brief post contains some useful information on what needs to be done to improve the picture and sound quality on a ColecoVision and ADAM system. After years of using a ColecoVision/ADAM emulation program on a desktop PC with a HDMI output. I finally got around to digging my old 1982 ColecoVision and 1983 ADAM computer out of storage. To my surprise both systems after around 35 years work perfectly fine.

How to improve the existing RF channel 3 and 4 output on the ColecoVision and ADAM computer

The original RCA to RCA cable with TV switch box that came with both the ColecoVision and standalone ADAM computer is poor quality. The cable is not shielded and the cable is too long (Some video RF interference and scratchy audio can occur). Many people have complained over the years about the poor quality of the RF channel 3 and channel 4 output. However, there is a solution to improve the picture and sound quality over RF channel 3 and 4. The solution is to stop using the original TV switch box and original Coleco long unshielded cable and to switch to a very short shielded cable. The shorter the cable the better the picture quality will be in the analog world. Almost 100% of all modern TV’s since the 90’s use a standard 75 ohm F antenna connector. A F-type Coax Plug to RCA female jack adapter and a high quality 3 foot shielded RG-6U cable with two RCA male connectors on the end will greatly improve the RF modulators channel 3 and 4 output quality. One can use longer cable lengths like 6 or 12 feet if needed, however again the shorter the cable the better the picture and sound quality. My original ColecoVision with its RF channel 3 and 4 output looks and sounds much better with the solution mentioned above. However, the composite video output on the standalone ADAM looks much better then RF channel 3 and 4.

Using the native composite video and audio output on the standalone ADAM computer

The ColecoVision which was released in August of 1982 only came with a RF channel 3 and 4 output and with no composite video outputs. This was the norm for all or most videogame systems in 1982 since composite video jacks on TV sets were rare. Around October of 1983, both the Expansion module #3 ADAM computer and the standalone ADAM computer was released (The Expansion module #3 ADAM computer became available a few months before the standalone ADAM computer was released at Montgomery Wards). Since the ColecoVision only has a RF channel 3 and 4 output, that also means the Expansion module #3 ADAM also only offers RF channel 3 and 4 output. Around the 1983 or 1984 time period there was at least one third party company that started offering a composite video with audio upgrade kit for the ColecoVision (Might have been between $30-$50 if one installed it themselves using their own soldering skills). I use to have a ColecoVision in the 80’s with this composite video modification that matched the picture quality of the standalone ADAM computer (However, I sold that ColecoVision to someone in the late 80’s). The standalone ADAM computer has RF channel 3 and 4 output, and two composite video outputs. The one composite video output uses a standard RCA video cable that is easy to find and purchase. However to get both composite video with audio on the standalone ADAM computer Coleco decided to use a 7 pin DIN connector which required a special Coleco composite video and audio cable. Back in 1983-1985 this cable was rare and consumers were just starting to buy television sets with composite video inputs. Shortly after 1985 many third party companies started making a Coleco ADAM compatible video and audio DIN cable. It would have been better if Coleco would have just placed a standard audio RCA jack on the back of the ADAM instead of going with the 7 pin DIN plug design (I believe that only 4 pins are used on the 7 pin din connector). Coleco already had a RCA video output on the back of the ADAM, and it would have been really easy to place a RCA audio jack on the back instead of the DIN jack. The RF channel 3 and 4 output, composite video RCA output, and composite video with audio over a DIN cable can be used at the exact same time (Its nice that all 3 outputs are active at the exact same time). I do remember going to a Library in the 80’s where the local ADAM computer groups met every month. At that Library they had two 27 inch NEC TV/monitors with composite video input jacks. When setting up the standalone ADAM computer for the monthly ADAM group I would wire both TV’s for composite video output since the standalone ADAM has two separate composite video outputs (Then audio would go to one of the monitors audio inputs and with the monitors audio output jack the speakers in the second monitor in the room would receive the audio signal also). There are ADAM dealers like ADAM House and others that make a special DIN composite video cable with audio. However if one is having a hard time finding these special Coleco ADAM Video/Audio cables, then there are websites that show people how to make this unique cable. For the RCA composite video output with no audio a high quality 3 foot shielded RG-6U cable with two RCA male connectors on the end will offer the best picture quality (6 and 12 feet will also work but in the analog world the longer the cable, the potential for a lower quality picture becomes a reality, so one should keep the cable length as short as possible).

Some additional tips when using the twp separate composite video outputs on the standalone ADAM computer

I noticed a nice improvement in both picture and audio quality on the standalone ADAM computer when using the special ADAM DIN composite video with audio cable when compared to the RF channel 3 and 4 output. However, for some reason I got an improved composite video quality on the dedicated ADAM composite monitor video output jack when compared to the Aux Video DIN jack. I tried around six different ADAM House brand video and audio DIN cables and with all six cables I got a very small faint horizontal scrolling video noise line that was not present on the ADAM’s dedicated RCA composite video output jack. I tried more than one standalone ADAM computer and was able to duplicate the results. In the future, I might purchase another brand of Audio/Video DIN cable just in case the ADAM’s House cables are lower quality. However, it appears that the ADAM’s RCA composite video output when used with a high quality RG6 shielded cable, offers a better picture quality when compared to the Coleco ADAM’s DIN plug option. Therefore I currently have my standalone ADAM computer hooked up to a 27 inch 4:3 1080i HDTV using the audio from the DIN cable and I am getting the video from the better quality composite RCA output, which ends up producing the best possible video and audio from a unmodified 1983 standalone ADAM computer.

Verified problems using the Expansion module #1 Atari 2600 adapter on a standalone ADAM computer

When using the Expansion module #1 ATARI 2600 adapter on the ColecoVision and the standalone ADAM computer system, both the audio level and clarity is perfectly fine coming out of RF channel 3 and 4. However as soon as one uses the dedicated higher quality composite video with audio output located on the standalone ADAM computer, the picture quality is improved, however the audio quality is terrible for ATARI 2600 games. To hear the audio I literally needed to turn the audio on the CRT TV all the way up to maximum volume, but then the audio was distorted. The distortion was not coming from the TV, I turned the audio down on the TV a few notches so that I could barely hear the audio coming out of the speakers, but the audio was still distorted. On some lower end CRT’s with lower quality speakers the audio can hardly be heard at all. I know this is a technical problem that Coleco has on all the standalone ADAM’s when using the ATARI 2600 adapter, however I also remember someone mentioning that there was a 21st Century hardware modification that could be made to the circuit board so that the audio level and distortion issue can be completely fixed. I think it has something to do about de-soldering the DIN plug audio wire on the circuit board, and then moving and soldering the audio wire to the exact same audio path where the RF modulator receives the audio (It’s too bad Coleco never fixed this bug during the ADAM computers brief 1983-1985 production life).

My future plans is to improve the picture quality on the ColecoVision/ADAM using a third party hardware modification with or without a professional upgrade service

So far I have never experienced an actual real ColecoVision or ADAM computer with anything better than composite video (Using an emulation program with HDMI on a Windows PC does not count, but that is the type of picture quality I would like to achieve one day from an actual Coleco system). At the time of this post, the only two upgrade kits available for the ColecoVision is composite video and a S-Video upgrade option. S-Video is an improvement over composite video and I do have an old 27 inch 1080i CRT from around the year 2005 with two S-Video inputs. However, that TV also has two 1080i component video inputs (plus many old CRT SDTV’s from the early 21st Century have 480i component video inputs). Therefore, on that TV, getting the ColecoVision upgraded to component video would be an improvement over the S-Video upgrade option. However, the problem is the component video kit is now out of production and the same company that offers the S-Video upgrade is planning on sometime coming out with a component video option for the ColecoVision. I also have an old CRT computer monitor that accepts RGB input, however the RGB video option does not exist yet on the ColecoVision. The same company that makes the S-Video upgrade kit might in the future also start offering a RGB video upgrade kit (And possible one kit that puts out everything like RGB, Component Video, and S-Video). The best quality upgrade option is the F18A video board that allows the ColecoVision and standalone ADAM to have a high quality VGA and HDMI output. However, the problem is the F18A video board is out of stock and people are waiting for another batch to be made. I like the following website where one can get their ColecoVision modified for HDMI and with composite video for ATARI 2600 games. Therefore, one day if the F18a video board sees another run, I might seriously spend $270 to get my ColecoVision modified for both HDMI and composite video for the ATARI 2600 games (S-Video if it’s offered). They might also offer an ADAM computer HDMI upgrade option one day.

So the reality is as of October 11th 2017, the HDMI video conversion, VGA video conversion, RGB video conversion, and component video conversion is not a reality for the ColecoVision/ADAM for various reasons (out of stock, out of production, or a future upgrade kit that is released in the future). Now I could spend $55 for the S-Video conversion for the ColecoVision, however I am patient and would rather wait for the HDMI conversion option to become a reality.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Important audio tip for the ADAM computer and mono videogame systems that are hooked up to stereo TV/monitors

On most stereo TV/Monitors if one connects the mono RCA audio output from the ADAM computer or any videogame system with a mono RCA output, to a stereo TV/Monitor. Then 99.9% of the time, that mono RCA output should be connected to the left audio input on the stereo TV/Monitor, A/V receiver, or A/V switch box. Most stereo TV/Monitors have software that will internally split the mono audio signal out of both the left and right speakers if the mono signal comes into the left audio jack (The TV/Monitor detects nothing plugged into the right audio jack and activates the internal mono splitter). However, on a few rare older stereo TV/Monitors, one may need to purchase a RCA audio Y adapter to hear the mono sound coming from both speakers, since the TV/Monitors internal software was not designed to split the mono source into two mono channels.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Hmm. Interesting stuff. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Since the F18A bypasses the RF stage of the ColecoVision, would it not be possible to route the 2600 expansion module composite line straight back, possibly through a simple transistor-based amplifier, to the RCA jack on the back of the CV, turning it into a composite jack? At least that way one could switch over monitor inputs and still use the module. One could either gut the RF module to change it to composite, or (possible pointlessly) sneak the composite line into the traces where the old CV video met the RF stage so that the RF output would still work.

Edited by towmater

The answer to your question is found in post number 27. When the F18a is used the original VDP is removed, and some of the ColecoVision upgrade services offer a option where the VGA modification is for ColecoVision/ADAM software and the RF output is modified to use only with Expansion module #1 the Atari 2600 adapter. However on the ColecoVision HDMI upgrade the RF box has to be removed to make room for the video upscaler, so the better quality composite modification only works with the Expansion module #1 (Maybe even the S-Video modification might work for the ATARI 2600 but that would need to be verified).

I understand what you are saying, instead of placing an external video port on the expansion module #1 that is later muxed with the VDP, somehow internally do the traces. I do not have the answer to this question. You would need to email the company online that does both the HDMI and VGA conversions (They are good at answering detailed questions, however like everyone else they are out of stock on the F18a board).

I wish there was someway for the ColecoVision or ADAM to emulate a Expansion module #1 in software so that the HDMI output would work with 2600 games. How about changing the Atari 2600 module chipset so that it works with the F18a?

Edited by HDTV1080P

Guys, please do Not send anything to Crayola the Crayon King on eBay to be modded! Coincidentally, I just saw a couple videos earlier today by both RetroRGB and Voultar that revealed this guy's shoddy mod work and business practices.. Sending anything to this person is terrible idea, but thats on you if you want to take the chance. See for yourself here in these two videos.

I wouldn't waste your time with Composite or Svideo anyways, just be patient for the next batch of F18a's by Matthew and order one when this next batch comes in. If displaying VGA is a problem, just get a VGA to HDMI converter and be done with it.. You'll be future-proofed and better off in the long run. I'm sure Yurkie and other respected modders here on AA would be happy to install the F18a for you if it's not something you feel comfortable doing yourself. Good luck. ;)

Hmm. Interesting stuff. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Since the F18A bypasses the RF stage of the ColecoVision, would it not be possible to route the 2600 expansion module composite line straight back, possibly through a simple transistor-based amplifier, to the RCA jack on the back of the CV, turning it into a composite jack? At least that way one could switch over monitor inputs and still use the module. One could either gut the RF module to change it to composite, or (possible pointlessly) sneak the composite line into the traces where the old CV video met the RF stage so that the RF output would still work.

My understanding is the f18a upgrade doesn't touch the existing expansion port audio/video and rf modulator. Some people optionally remove the rf modulator to make room for an internal vga-hdmi converter. You could just use an external vga-hdmi converter. If you don't like rf, you could also do an AV modification on the expansion port beside the f18a upgrade.

I recently completed installing an ElectronicSentimentalities S-video mod in an Exp. Mod. #1, but am not entirely happy with the quality of the image. Nothing wrong with the mod board, it's just that I would like better than S-video can provide. So, my next plan is try and install one of Tim Worthington's RGB kits and use an OSSC to give me HDMI output. I have an LCD monitor with both VGA and HDMI inputs. So, this way I can use my F18A modded CV to output VGA for playing ColecoVision games and the RGB modded Exp. Mod. #1 and OSSC combo to output HDMI to play Atari 2600 games.

Overkill maybe, expensive yes, but I get a lot of fun from trying out these things and if I can get it all to work then I'll have even more fun playing the games.

• Like 2

I wouldn't waste your time with Composite or Svideo anyways, just be patient for the next batch of F18a's by Matthew and order one when this next batch comes in.

Just to add to this -- Matt usually does a run based on the size of his pending list, so if you want one, don't just wait, also drop Matt a note that you want to waitlist for one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some additional tips when using the twp separate composite video outputs on the standalone ADAM computer

I noticed a nice improvement in both picture and audio quality on the standalone ADAM computer when using the special ADAM DIN composite video with audio cable when compared to the RF channel 3 and 4 output. However, for some reason I got an improved composite video quality on the dedicated ADAM composite monitor video output jack when compared to the Aux Video DIN jack. I tried around six different ADAM House brand video and audio DIN cables and with all six cables I got a very small faint horizontal scrolling video noise line that was not present on the ADAM’s dedicated RCA composite video output jack. I tried more than one standalone ADAM computer and was able to duplicate the results. In the future, I might purchase another brand of Audio/Video DIN cable just in case the ADAM’s House cables are lower quality. However, it appears that the ADAM’s RCA composite video output when used with a high quality RG6 shielded cable, offers a better picture quality when compared to the Coleco ADAM’s DIN plug option. Therefore I currently have my standalone ADAM computer hooked up to a 27 inch 4:3 1080i HDTV using the audio from the DIN cable and I am getting the video from the better quality composite RCA output, which ends up producing the best possible video and audio from a unmodified 1983 standalone ADAM computer.

I have spent several hours doing some more extensive testing on the standalone ADAM computer. I tried two different standalone ADAM computers and even two different power supplies, and I am getting the exact same results as I get from the ADAM House/EColeco brand cables. I had a total of 3 separate companies make up a special ADAM video/audio cable. Two of the companies used high-end shielded cable that is used for videophiles and audiophile systems. Plus they used a high-end metal DIN plug with gold plated pins and gold plated RCA jacks. The ADAM computer has never seen such high-end cables before, and I noticed an improved picture quality and audio quality with the new cables, however the very faint horizontal scrolling video noise line still existed on all 4 brands of cable (Therefore there was nothing wrong with the ADAM House/eColeco brand cables, the problem is a design flaw with the standalone ADAM video output from the DIN jack). Here is something that is even more interesting. I had to leave my standalone ADAM computer RF channel 3 and 4 output hooked up since as mentioned before the Expansion module #1 ATARI 2600 adapter has audio issues when using the ADAM computers DIN plug. Therefore, until I internally modify my standalone ADAM computer so the DIN plug takes the audio signal from the RF location on the circuit board, I need to switch from composite video to RF when playing ATARI 2600 games so I can hear clear and loud audio. What I found out from doing extensive testing is the standalone ADAM computer small faint horizontal scrolling video noise from the DIN plug completely disappears if one leaves the RF TV output cable connected between the ADAM and the TV/monitor at the exact same time (Doing this made the DIN composite video output almost as good as picture quality as the ADAM’s dedicated composite video monitor output jack). It must have something to do about a ground loop problem with the standalone ADAM computers. The ground loop problem does not happen at all from the dedicated composite monitor output on the ADAM. The ground loop problem with horizontal scrolling lines is worse on poorly shielded ADAM DIN cables where the audio hum is louder. However even using high-end shielded cables can still produce a little bit of ground loop coming out of the standalone ADAM’s DIN plug. Connecting the RF cable between the ADAM and the TV/monitor will make the ground loop completely disappear from the ADAM’s DIN video output and the audio hum noise is greatly reduced (That is cheaper then spending around $79-$400+ for a special high-end ground loop isolation box .

One can also just use the dedicated RCA composite video output on the ADAM that does not have the ground loop problem. Coleco must have did something to the standalone ADAM’s DIN plug that causes a ground loop video problem when the RF output or composite monitor output is not connected at the exact same. It is too bad Coleco back in 1983 did not release the ADAM computer with a standard RCA audio output, since the only reason one needs to mess around with the DIN plug is to try and get both audio and composite video at the exact same time. The standalone ADAM computer has a dedicated RCA composite video output jack, it just needed a dedicated audio output jack.

Most people that still use their ADAM will most likely spend the money to have the ADAM upgraded to HDMI output for the best possible picture and sound quality. The only problem is that HDMI conversion service is currently not being offered since the parts are out of stock to do the conversion.

Edited by HDTV1080P

What are you talking about, the parts to read are in bold type.

no its the page and a half of text he writes in ms word, no paragraphs, and the overall wordyness of every single one of his posts (ie "the standalone ADAM computer" appears 4 times in that one post, pretty sure we got that by the end)

• Like 1

Well it could be pared down, I agree. "I had a total of 3 separate companies make up a special ADAM video/audio cable." could have read "I had three companies make AV cables." Although it is the inherent problem with the English language being about one-half redundant, or put another way, "English is half redundant."

In any case, not everyone will write like you, or like what you like, or have the same skin color as you, so please try to be more tolerant, or possibly ignore the individuals you find to be tedious. You have helped me on many occasions, so please don't take this as an insult.

• 3 weeks later...

High-end standalone ADAM Video and Audio cable is now available in large QTY’s

Cables Online part number ADM-706

I been working with a few high-end videophile and audiophile cable manufactories for the Coleco standalone ADAM computer. The Cables online company has manufactured a large QTY of high-end 6 feet composite video with audio cables for people that own standalone ADAM computers.

This cable is ideal for people that have an older display with the composite video input being the best quality connection on their display. If ones display has HDMI or VGA, then getting ones standalone ADAM modified with an F18a is the best option for picture quality.

• This is a high-end cable with shielded wires
  • One end of the cable uses a metal neutrik connector with all 7 pins on the DIN connector being gold plated
  • The second end of the cable uses two metal RCA connectors with yellow for video and white for audio (RCA connectors are gold plated).
  • When the white audio RCA connector is connected to the left audio input jack on a stereo TV/monitor, 99% of stereo TV’s will internally split the mono audio signal to both stereo speakers.

I have tested this cable and it’s the best picture and sound quality that I have seen coming out of the standalone ADAM DIN plug. This cable currently sales for $19.95 with free shipping and more than 10 are currently available. However since the RCA composite monitor output on the ADAM computer offers a little better picture quality then the DIN plug, I would recommend this $4.49 6 foot RG-6 Gold plated RCA to RCA cable (Product # 2680) to use with the Cables Online ADAM ADM-706 product.

I am currently using a Cables Online 6 inch Ultimate high-end ADAM converter adapter (prototype). This allows an ADAM user to plug in any length of RCA to RCA cable within reason. I have been having excellent results with high-end RG-6 double shielded cable. I like this adapter since I can go from 3 feet, 6 feet, 12 feet, or even 50 feet or longer and I do not need to purchase a special DIN plug when I switch cable lengths. Also the RG-6 cable which is 18 gauge offers a very nice crisp picture and sound quality and has less loss per foot when compared to RG-59 22 gauge cable.

post-10892-0-70580400-1512908941_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-97342200-1512908994_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-38668100-1512909059_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

Standalone ADAM Audio/Video Hum killer (awesome product)

Using 7 different Coleco standalone ADAM computers on a workbench and 3 different power supplies (One 3rd party high-end ADAM power supply and two Coleco power supplies), I noticed that the almost 35 year old ADAM computer system generates some audio buzzing and some faint horizontal hum lines in the Smartwriter word processor. Even back in 1983 the Coleco ADAM had some ground loop issues that caused picture and sound quality issues. However as the system ages I believe the hum lines and audio noise gets a little worse since the ADAM ends up generating more EMI/RFI noise as it ages, which effects the onboard analog video and audio output (appears to be a internal Ground loop issue in the standalone ADAM). I recently purchased a high-end Gold plated RDL EZ-HK3 Audio/Video Hum killer for the ADAM computer. This universal product works with any composite video signal to improve the picture and sound quality. I was amazed at the results. All 7 of the standalone ADAM’s tested cleaned up the horizontal video hum lines and the Smartwriter composite video output looks beautiful. In addition, the audio hum no longer occurs and is nice and clean. My 27 inch 1080i 4:3 CRT then unscaled the ADAM image to 1080i 4:3.

I highly recommend this product for anyone having picture quality problems and audio issues on their ADAM computer. The RDL EZ-HK3 Audio/Video Hum Killer sometimes costs over $120, but once and awhile B and H Photo places it one sale for $75 with free shipping. The current cheapest price is now $95 with free shipping.

post-10892-0-65331400-1512912595_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-02299700-1512912684_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-94299300-1512912756_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

Updated pricing information for the two new Cables Online products for the standalone ADAM computer system

(1 ) The high-end 6 foot Cables Online ADM-706 composite video cable with audio for the standalone ADAM computer is now $24.95 plus free shipping, when purchased in QTY’s of 10 this cable is $18.95 plus free shipping. 100 are currently available for order.

(2) The high-end 6 inch Cables Online ADM-300 Audio/Video adapter cable for the standalone ADAM computer is now $20.95 plus free shipping, when purchased in QTY’s of 10 this cable is $15.90 plus free shipping (ADM-300-10 pack). Around 100 are currently available for order. This ended up being the best quality option when used with two high-end RG-6 double shielded cables (one RCA cable for video and one RCA cable for audio). High quality RG-6 cable with two RCA connectors on each end can be purchased directly from Monoprice in lengths between 3 feet and 100 feet (Monoprice offers a lifetime warranty on this quality cable). Those that prefer the higher quality Monster cable brand might prefer this RCA to RCA interconnect.

post-10892-0-54604700-1512949078_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-50020600-1512949156_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-10773100-1512949210_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

RF buzz/hum ground loop isolator devices will make absolutely no improvements to the ColecoVision/ADAM RF output

The ColecoVision only has native RF channel 3 or 4 output unless one modifies the video output. I noticed on the RF output on both the ColecoVision and standalone ADAM, that there is a fairly loud hum or buzzing and the picture quality is not as sharp compared to the standalone ADAM composite video output.

I tried a few different brands of 75 ohm RF hum/buzz/noise ground loop eliminators. However, I discovered that there was no improvements in picture or sound quality when using these products on a ColecoVision or ADAM over a channel 3 or 4 RF output.

The video and audio problems coming out of the ColecoVision and ADAM RF output are not generated from an internal ground loop problem. To improve the RF output on the ColecoVision/ADAM one literally needs to take their system apart and manually make adjustments since sometimes the channel frequency or audio subcarrier is slightly out of alignment from when it originally shipping from the Coleco assemble lines. Sometimes the RF modulator is in such bad condition in the ColecoVision/ADAM, that one needs to completely replace the RF modulator with a new or used Coleco RF modulator. With a little more work a third party RF modulator with automatic digital channel 3 and 4 output could be used (A model with no manually adjustments since the software on the IC keeps the RF modulator perfectly aligned). However since ATSC replaced NTSC, even third party RF modulators are hard to find. Maybe a old RF modulator from a high-end D-VHS or S-VHS can be de-soldered from the VCR's circuit board and then modified to fit in the ColecoVision/ADAM. At a certain point its just better to go HDMI, S-Video, or composite video and forget about fixing or replacing the RF modulator.

Edited by HDTV1080P

the channel frequency or audio subcarrier is slightly out of alignment from when it originally shipping from the Coleco assemble lines.

yes it was made in a different era, where you would fiddle with fine tuning of every channel on your TV and once set you didn't generally mess with it unless you moved to a different region. This is an artifact of analog tuning on both end's and the timing of both transmitter and receiver being based on the mains frequency coming out of your wall ... which if one was lucky only changes 10% thoughout the day.

Modern TV's with digital tuners starting in the mid to late 80's just kind of locked on did their best and called it a day, as time progressed timing got much better and digital tuners got lazier

A white 5 pin Gold plated DIN video/audio adapter porotype product was made for the standalone Coleco ADAM by a high-end cable manufacture. This adapter makes it easy to disconnect ones standalone ADAM computer from the monitor/TV for a few minutes without needing to disconnect the DIN plug from the ADAM computer (See pictures number 4 and 6 below). The positive thing about this adapter is that it has good video and audio quality when used with 18 gauge RG-6 double shielded video and audio interconnects with RCA ends. However I was trying to find a white color high-quality 3.5mm cable to 2 RCA ends, and all the ones I tested had poor quality shielding when compared to the shielding used in the double shielded RG-6 cable with RCA ends. Prior designs used only one adapter to get to two RCA plugs, since this adapter uses two adapters to get to two RCA plugs, the result is a little more video and audio noise. This unique white ADAM video/audio adapter product most likely will be going out of production with only one prototype that was made.

I prefer the 7 pin gold plated DIN plug that goes to two female RCA plugs over a short 6 inch high quality cable (Then one can run RG-6 RCA interconnects 25+ feet if they want).

post-10892-0-02582700-1513912312_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-11565800-1513912379_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-61485100-1513912446_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-95306200-1513912510_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-18255700-1513912579_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-99637400-1513912637_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-95465100-1513912704_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-94553600-1513912765_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P