IGNORED

Recommended USB Cable for Harmony

EvoMikeUK

Hi All,

I only have 1, very short, USB cable that works with my Harmony and allows it to be recognised in Windows 10.

I have bought a plethora of cables, of ranging specs, lengths and prices, yet only this single cable works.

Does anyone have a recommended cable and know where I can purchase this from in the UK please?

Kind thanks,

Mike

I don't have a specific cable recommendation, but my Harmony isn't fussy about the usb cable I use. So I think you're dealing with something other than Harmony being fussy.

Do any of the cables you tried have ferrite chokes on them? (there would be bulges on one or both ends, like on this one) Cables like these are useful if you have a lot of RF noise, though USB by design does reject a fair bit of this type of noise.

Other possibilities could be the physical fit of the cable, noise in the computer, etc.

Without actually figuring out the source of the problem, I fear you may spend a fair bit until you find another cable that works.

• Like 1

I don't have a specific cable recommendation, but my Harmony isn't fussy about the usb cable I use. So I think you're dealing with something other than Harmony being fussy.

Do any of the cables you tried have ferrite chokes on them? (there would be bulges on one or both ends, like on this one) Cables like these are useful if you have a lot of RF noise, though USB by design does reject a fair bit of this type of noise.

Other possibilities could be the physical fit of the cable, noise in the computer, etc.

Without actually figuring out the source of the problem, I fear you may spend a fair bit until you find another cable that works.

Then maybe it is the RF noise as this would be less over a short cable, the one that works.... interesting and worth investigating.

In this post, Fred (batari) suggests trying a powered usb hub, in case your PC usb port doesn't provide enough power (maybe the shorter cable works because it causes less voltage drop?):

Harmony works best with a quality cable (gold, with ferrite core) and sometimes needs a powered USB hub due to its power requirements.

So if you have on of those try that too.

Maybe also one of those Y cables used by some usb harddisk (they plug into two ports to get more power for the device) might work.

• Like 1

Nope, Ferrite beaded cable makes no difference.... icon_sad.gif

I feel your pain. I had the same problem with updating maps on Gamin DEZL gps units.

They use a micro usb, ONE out of the five cables I have work.

Try a cable that came with good piece of electronics - like Samsung or the cable that came with my amazon fire phone worked.

I don't know what it is, but some cables seem like they are just made for using with a usb charger adapter - not data.

If you look for cables, don't get the ones that come with cheap chargers - they won't work. Look for something were the cable is thicker than 3mm.

Hope that helps.

Edited by H454

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a recommended cable and know where I can purchase this from in the UK please?

I don't know what it is, but some cables seem like they are just made for using with a usb charger adapter - not data.

What H454 said.

Make sure you are buying data transfer/charger cables. Not just a charging cable. Charging cables do not have the necessary connections (wires) to allow communication between PC and cart.

• Like 1