IGNORED

Retro-Bit Super Retrocade with Capcom, Data East games

Flojomojo

It's "fine." Not amazing, not sucktacular.

If you want to add more games, you can either:

- watch some long-winded jerkstore video about how to do it, or

- just make a folder called "retrobit games" on an SD card, and put your files in there. Unzip your cartridge ROMs, leave MAME ROMs zipped. Add a matching image file if you want to be able to actually find stuff if you're adding more than a few files.

- honestly "tubers," you're completely annoying to me. I know you want to get hits and ad revenue, but posting a written blog article would be a much better thing to do for the community.

There's already drama about the potential use of Libretro. It gets nerdy and complicated very quickly. ....

Thanks for the link on Libretro didn't know Piko involvement wrt byuu bsnes, tangential to the Retrocade but probably exemplary on how quite a few publishers misbehave (hardware or software based).

At the end that post is simply summarized with "companies mostly make retroboxes/pc-ports as a quick cash grab without having the rights to any/most of the emulators they use and they actual act as if the opensource community is at fault".

Anyhow the jerkstore bit made me chuckle ... thanks! There's the Core Store and the Jerk Store to each his own.

They went to the trouble to license the old arcade games. In my book, that counts for a lot.

Not licensing the emulator? Well, if it results in a better product, that seems like a lesser sin than pirating ROMs like we see on famiclones, or substandard emulation like we saw on Firecore units for almost a decade.

• Like 1

Totally unrelated but straight from Banggood:

post-36731-0-65579800-1514791137.jpg

Yes please let happiness exsit! Kick it out the front door to the curb and be done!!

BTW I find the Gundam shooting at the Zach while it's playing mildly disturbing. Look at that poor green little Zachy sitting duck!!!!

https://www.banggood.com/Subor-D101-Retro-Classic-8-bit-Wireless-2_4G-HD-Video-Game-Console-HDMI-Gaming-Controllers-p-1189196.html?c

• Like 2

I just read this review and it sounds just amazing. Does the reviewer work for Retrocade as the review seems almost too good. I would like to hear any more comments from those who have used it .. especially the known requirements for the SD interface and any game incompatibilities or glitches noticed. Also any comments on the quality of the USB gamepads as usually the gamepads are horrible for these type of consoles.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/361545-retro-bit-super-retro-cade-review-a-high-quality-retropie-killer

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2

I just received mine 2 days ago and must say that I am truly enjoying it. I loaded up approx. 100 mame games with screenshots in the menu. I did have to try a few different versions of certain games, but eventually found working roms. I really like the simple interface and being able to select scene size.Good little product as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I just received mine 2 days ago and must say that I am truly enjoying it. I loaded up approx. 100 mame games with screenshots in the menu. I did have to try a few different versions of certain games, but eventually found working roms. I really like the simple interface and being able to select scene size.Good little product as far as I'm concerned.

This intrigues me. What do you think of the performance of the MAME games? What in particular have you tried that might normally push a system like this?

Another quick question if you don't mind... Does it work like the RetroFreak where you dump all the ROMs in the root and the system figures out what game goes with what emulator, or do you have to put things in discrete folders?

• Like 1

Another quick question if you don't mind... Does it work like the RetroFreak where you dump all the ROMs in the root and the system figures out what game goes with what emulator

That's how it works. You can put in a picture to match, as well. Everything goes on the main screen.

It's trial and error to see what works with their system, but at least it's easy.

• Like 2

post-10267-0-92878500-1515799412_thumb.jpg

How does the picture get matched up?

Pretty easy actually. Just save a .png image of the game you want and name it exactly like the zipped rom except adding "game" to the end.

Example: if you have the zipped rom named "venture", just save a png image in the same folder and name it "venturegame.png and bingo, you're done.

I'm an 80s kid and haven't tried anything that would push the system, but I doubt it could handle any 3d ploygon games. I can say that TMNT 1 and 2 as well as Darkstalkers and Street Fighter vs Capcom work great while MK2 had major slowdown. Not sure if its the rom or system. I also haven't tried and nes, snes or genesis roms because I already have those on a modded wii.

• Like 2

Pretty easy actually. Just save a .png image of the game you want and name it exactly like the zipped rom except adding "game" to the end.

Example: if you have the zipped rom named "venture", just save a png image in the same folder and name it "venturegame.png and bingo, you're done.

Thanks for writing this up ... I finally just did this myself, and had to watch a boring YouTube video to see that you need to add "game" to the end ... to my knowledge no one has written those words, only put them into videos. I came to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

Agreed that this is for early games; it's probably because of the low specs of the unit. I would think pretty much anything in a MAME4ALL rom set would be OK. Stuff like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, no problem. Rolling Thunder 2 works but at half speed. SNES games are good, but Star Fox SNES is about half speed, too.

• Like 1

Thanks for writing this up ... I finally just did this myself, and had to watch a boring YouTube video to see that you need to add "game" to the end ... to my knowledge no one has written those words, only put them into videos. I came to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

Agreed that this is for early games; it's probably because of the low specs of the unit. I would think pretty much anything in a MAME4ALL rom set would be OK. Stuff like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, no problem. Rolling Thunder 2 works but at half speed. SNES games are good, but Star Fox SNES is about half speed, too.

You might want to try a different rom for Rolling Thunder 2, the one I'm using seems to run at full speed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got this system this past Wednesday after I sent back a defective Atari Flashback 8 Activision Edition. I decided to use my credit for the Super Retro-cade and hold off on getting a replacement Flashback 8. I must say, I think I made the right decision, as I am loving the Super Retro-Cade. The console is even smaller than the NES Classic, which I didn't think was possible.

To answer your question, PhoenixDownita, the only NES game I have loaded up so far on the Super Retro-Cade has been Mega Man 2. I played through Air Man's stage and the emulation seemed spot on (though as ReRez pointed out, it does have softer colors than the NES Classic) and the sounds/music sounded pretty good.

Best moment so far with the Super Retro-Cade: I come across a game called "Secret Agent." I decided to load it up and to my surprise, it was "Sly Spy." I was floored for a moment...as I hadn't even THOUGHT about that arcade game in over 25 years. It may not be the best game, but I had a flood of memories all of a sudden hit me like a ton of bricks. I remember playing the heck out of that game at my local Aladdin's Castle probably back in 1990 or so. My brother and I must have been the only ones playing it, as it didn't last long at the arcade...3 or 4 months maybe? After it left Aladdin's Castle, I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since...nor even thought about it since then.

I had a similar (but not as strong) reaction when I loaded up Midnight Resistance as well. Just couldn't believe I had forgotten about these games.

So, for that and those moments/feelings, the Super Retro-Cade has been worth the money. And, so far, the emulation has been really good!

Edited by SumerNivek
  • Like 2

This unit seems to be my kind of DIY mame unit... and it supports NES etc? I know it isn't 100% compatible but it will scratch an itch or a bunch!

One question... has anyone managed to get a USB controller to work with it other than the packed in controllers? I'm thinking of a cool arcade style stick. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was absolutely convinced the Super Retro Cade was going to suck. Took a chance and have never been more surprised. Forgotten Worlds is crazy on a massive TV. This thing runs beautifully. Every game I've thrown at this thing plays amazingly. The real mystery is figuring out what doesn't work.