IGNORED

Retro-Bit Super Retrocade with Capcom, Data East games

Flojomojo

Well then if the SD is not usable for FW updates it is pretty obvious they targeted all along the market of people that would go for "teh romz" ... which kind of sheds a different light on their mess with the retroArch/libRetro devs.

One thing is to support it as a bonus (downloaded roms) another is to be the main intent all along (the licensed games act more like a screen rather than the main goal at this point imho, you know trying to get at least some legitimacy by covering up the real target kind of a deal).

Dunno will see.

It doesn't work with most controllers. I've heard the Mayflash joystick will function with the system, and I know from personal experience that the GN6 will. That's the Genesis-like joypad from Hyperkin. I don't like it that much, but swapping shells with a real Genesis six button controller improves the feel a lot.

It doesn't work with most controllers. I've heard the Mayflash joystick will function with the system, and I know from personal experience that the GN6 will. That's the Genesis-like joypad from Hyperkin. I don't like it that much, but swapping shells with a real Genesis six button controller improves the feel a lot.

I wonder if last year RetroBit Generations genny style controllers were actually some kind of GN6 derivative (or maybe the GN6 share some common "chinese lineage" with those).

As already stated RetroBit Generations genny style controllers work well with this year Super Retrocade.

About the GN6 (USB) I wonder if the other Hyperkin USB offerings would also work, @Jess did you try any of the SNES looking ones?

Fry's had these for $10 off last week, so I picked one up. This one is definitely going back because pressing right on the first controller that I opened only registers if I push down extra hard. As to if I get a replacement or refund...I'm not sure yet. It's fine for what it is at $50, and I went in with fairly low expectations, but it's probably not something I should have picked up in the first place. I have an Nvidia Shield Portable that I can connect to the TV, and I can use a quality wireless controller with that for a much better experience. Still...I buy lots of plastic junk that I shouldn't buy, so maybe I'll get a replacement.

I don't think it's junk... it's just the software that holds it back, and even that is nowhere near as bad as the Genesis Flashback HD. The limited selection of controllers holds it back (apparently Universal Serial Bus no longer holds any meaning to game companies...) and the emulation could be improved. Another user suggested that this may be fixed in the near future, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

• Like 1

I got mine from Amazon this week! Thanks for all the rom links and tips like putting game roms on different SD cards. Overall a it's lot of fun, but I agree it could have been a lot better. I wish it would default to regular screen size, and it sucks they didn't think about making it run Atari 2600, 7800 (and 5200, Colecovision and Intellevsion roms with a usb keyboard).

My problem is trying to create thumbnails for hacks like Tecmo Bowl 2018. The game plays fine, but I cant get a thumbnail png image to load on the screen. I've tried making my own and then modifying the one that came for the original version in the nes.zip file but it wont load up.

Edited by WildBillTX

An update is being worked on and still being worked on. All I know.

So the news was that they were working on an update, and we had to wait past E3 for knowing that and that they are still working on an update ... mmkey I was hoping the "secret" had some more meat on those barely there bones.

But update on what?

It can mean they will tell us something later (that kind of "an update") ... or it can mean they are preparing a firmware update for the old consoles which hopefully doesn't brick them (needless to say this is the only update that won't make them look like total ass).

Something's telling me this is getting fishy ... the whole point of the SD card was to update the firmware and that's exactly what they are delaying ... not sure why as the new units have the new firmware ... sooooo fishy.

[given how happy they were on their FB account about people making ROM sets for their product it's obvious what the SD card was there for ... nonetheless not being capable of updating a product like this on the field in a timely manner in 2018 is just .... amateurish at best]

Since the information did not come directly from the company, I am not going to say much until I have an updated unit. I have been told that they are working on the issue and that they are still doing so. I have checked in from time to time to ask about updates. We will see.

• 4 weeks later...

Every time a completely unfamiliar game that I already own pops up in this excellent blog, I feel a little bit of panic. TOO MANY GAMES.

https://postgamecontent.com/post/175864800372/holy-diver-games-of-the-retro-bit-super

Could you imagine having even ONE of the mega-game collections like this available to us back when we were kids?

Time passes and still no news on an updated FW to us owners of v1.0 ..... something is telling me these guys are NOT gonna see an extra penny from me, bunch of amateurs:

"We have the SD slot to allow future firmware updates"

"We have updated the firmware on the new units"

"We kind of don't know how to use the SD to update the old firmware"

.... and these people have the audacity to call themselves professionals ... so disappointing.

My Super Retro Whatever has already gone into retirement. I dunno, I just have a short attention span.

Maybe it's the plan of these "professionals" all along. Ride the novelty factor and then be forgotten while pocketing 50-70US$ from customers with relatively little effort (price right there in impulse-buy zone for many of us).

These guys got it right that Arcade games would have been good system sellers as long as emulation is decent, and they almost pulled it off even if the hw is still not powerful enough though, and the rest of the emulators should not have been there imo as they distract from the fact that this was supposed to be an homage to Capcom, Irem, Data East arcade productions. Yes they are a "nice" add-on (somewhat gravy) but it kind of feels like a filler to me for the lack of big Capcom arcade titles (their fighters in CPS1, CPS2, CPS2' form) ... gosh an all arcade Capcom only with a 6 face button joypad layout (Saturn style if you will) covering all the Capcom arcade productions would be a winner imho.

I think that it is honest criticism to want the best of a product and to call a product out for its shortcomings. As a product reviewer, I grow tired of having a console that offers the opportunity to play old games only to limited by its own hardware limitations or things that should have been fixed before released. We can speak most with our wallet and request for something better. Unfortunately, sales and price points continue this trend of having these budget devices offer nostalgia at a sacrifice of the original experience. Here is hopefully better hardware in the future.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it is honest criticism to want the best of a product and to call a product out for its shortcomings. As a product reviewer, I grow tired of having a console that offers the opportunity to play old games only to limited by its own hardware limitations or things that should have been fixed before released. We can speak most with our wallet and request for something better. Unfortunately, sales and price points continue this trend of having these budget devices offer nostalgia at a sacrifice of the original experience. Here is hopefully better hardware in the future.

Glad I skipped this junk. Let's hope AtGames has a decent Flashback with SD rom support. The Atari Flashback Portable is not perfect but pretty nice and even awesome at the bottomed out $25 on-line price.

Edited by thetick1