IGNORED

Pink Panther

retroeight

Okay.. So here is a question.

When Probe2000 said they cancelled games due to a shortage of chips, they were not talking about a shortage of chips in general; just these special ones?

That always confused me as other game providers never mentioned chip shortages.

lloyd

Edited by retroeight

It was the special ram chip I believe. That's also why Coleco cancelled Tarzan.

The chip is a combo chip, all the ones that exist are not the final mask ROM's, they are $1000+ each kind of chips. They probably couldn't get that design fabbed for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

So, simply from a technical point, there wont ever be ROM images that work easily on any cart?

Not on any, but if you send one of the 3-4 protos to Shenzen (or other city of your choice), they will send you back a cartridge PCB, that will do what the proto you sent them does, depending on what you are willing to pay and who you know. The 2600 data and address bus is extremely limited, they would probably use an intern / kid to figure it out, as a training task. :)

Frankly, the game did not look too exotic to require special hardware, so this information is new and surprising to me.

Thanks for the reply.

Think of it as CBS RAM+, a ROM/RAM chip with built-in bankswitching, except CBS had the cash.

• Like 1

Since you are playing like you know what's going on and\or how it was done, please elaborate with your technical prowess for the uneducated masses.

We already know it's on a Melody board. We already know new drivers can be written for the Melody to handle different bankswitch schemes (see DPC+, BUS, CDF). What more is there to elaborate on?

• Like 2

note: this is a reply to a comment that's no longer here, so it now seems out of place.

Based on his statement, I assumed he has a copy because you can see Harmony when you open the cover:

post-3056-0-38920900-1507487814_thumb.jpg

That confirms it's the original Melody board, but doesn't work on the current revision of it:

post-3056-0-88113600-1507487818_thumb.jpg

• Like 2