IGNORED

"Middle-earth: Shadow of War is a 97.7GB download on PC"

JamesD

I like games like this when they come on disk and I can dump everything buy my saved games if I need the hard drive space for something else.
You can always reinstall the game.
But downloads... they'd better give me an archive(s) I can burn to a DVD(s).
I get mad enough at steam for updating every few days. This? No thanks!

Disgusting really as the TS pointed out a lot of people have smaller monthly download caps. Guess you're SOL with that one? I know I have a soft unenforced 1TB cap supposedly on mine but I would think if stuff started getting this large commonly the cap would have to rise or just stop downloading which is stupid.

• Like 1

This is just one of the reasons I still tend to prefer physical media.

^ This. I've already stated my opinion pretty much everywhere on how I loathe digital media and the whole push to digital so I won't rehash it here. All I will say is I literally just got an unlimited bandwidth ISP and I'm glad I did because the sizes of these games are ludicrous. Pretty soon my 1TB PS4 Pro will seem like a floppy drive. Good thing I bought a 2TB external for my XBOX One because my 512GB just wouldn't cut it nowadays. How assbackwards is that. I used to be concerned about my PC games fitting on my 25MB harddrive... My have things changed.

• Like 2

65gb without the 4k textures, 98gb with the 4k textures. Still hefty, but 65gb is about standard for triple-A PC games these days.

And with download requirements like that, I'm absolutely ecstatic that I'm not that into often buggy, increasingly nickle-and-diming, drm-laden triple-A games.

Download caps, yuck. Can you get a better provider, upgrade to uncapped/business service, or are you stuck?

100GB a month is a truly puny data allowance -- you can't even stream much HD video on that little data. It's like relying on bottled water -- OK in an emergency, but not good long term.

My mobile plan gives me 30GB, and that goes everywhere I do.

• Like 1

Download caps, yuck. Can you get a better provider, upgrade to uncapped/business service, or are you stuck?

100GB a month is a truly puny data allowance -- you can't even stream much HD video on that little data. It's like relying on bottled water -- OK in an emergency, but not good long term.

My mobile plan gives me 30GB, and that goes everywhere I do.

When I signed up it was unlimited.

Other unlimited plans available locally are another $20/month. but then they are also over 2x as fast.

Be careful. Some recent Switch releases had mandatory "large" day one downloads... :ponder:

Yeah, I saw'em. Luckily nothing I'm interested in thus far. I suspect if I do get hit with a massive download (ie the rest of the game) after buying a physical copy, I'll just add the dev to my little boycott list to reduce the chance of it happening again. ;)

I'll definitely notice it if the massive download is in fact the rest of the game since I typically have my switch out of the dock, and I use a wired connection for the internet with the switch. So if I buy a physical cart and pop it in to play and it refuses to do so until it downloads a "patch", it's a pretty big giveaway.

• Like 3

I've seen people take about 8-10hrs to download about 150megs or so on dialup. So do the math from there as a guestimate.

56kbps = 7 kb (kiliobytes per second) as an absolute maximum but it's more like 6kbps practical. That's 360 kilobytes per minute, 21 megabytes per hour, ~500 megabytes per day, 180 gigabytes per year.

So about six months to download middle earth, time you could have spent playing... :roll:

• Like 2

Does anyone (literally anyone) use dialup in these modern times?

I suppose I could ask my friend if he still refuses to upgrade to cable but I haven't seen him online in a couple years. (Unless the internet just lags him out too much to get an email out nowadays. ;))

• Like 1

I suppose I could ask my friend if he still refuses to upgrade to cable but I haven't seen him online in a couple years. (Unless the internet just lags him out too much to get an email out nowadays. ;))

I hope it's free at least. Paying any amount of real money for dialup in this decade seems ...like a poor value.

I'd rather go cellular only than even use (let alone pay for) dialup.

• Like 1

56kbps = 7 kb (kiliobytes per second) as an absolute maximum but it's more like 6kbps practical. That's 360 kilobytes per minute, 21 megabytes per hour, ~500 megabytes per day, 180 gigabytes per year.

So about six months to download middle earth, time you could have spent playing... :roll:

In other words, for some modern triple-A games, you'd finish downloading it just in time for the servers to go offline? :)

• Like 3

As a kid I remember 3kb a second being the norm on a 56k modem. At least where I lived was.

That sounds about right. I remember downloading the Diablo demo (~40MB) and the Wing Commander Prophecy episodic expansions (~60MB) and letting the connection run all night. That would take a fraction of a second nowadays.

I throw money at Verizon for the max speed I can get, but that 97.7GB download would still take almost half an hour.

That's par for the course for modern games though ... everything is full of uncompressed, high quality textures and sounds nowadays. Bloat city. At least hard disk space is cheap now.

This is one reason I love mobile and browser games that are made to run in a more modest environment. I get just as much or more pleasure out of the goofy grinds in AdventureQuest 3D, Game of Thrones Conquest, Arcane Legends (to name just a few) that I would from the massive game in the top post.

• Like 1