IGNORED

Dead 800 Mitsumi keyboard

slx

I bought an (otherwise working) PAL 800 on EBay which has a dead Mitsumi keyboard. The seller claimed he had tried it with a "brand new" keyboard and had had no success either.

I have swapped the POKEY with a known good unit from a 400 with no effect. The Pokey from the 800 seems to work in the 400 (keyboard registers, I didn't test beyond that).

Are there any other auxiliary chips swapping of which might help in identifying the cause or is re-tracing the mylar my only option? (I find it strange that ALL keys should be dead and not only some, as I encountered on failing XE keyboards.

Can the Mitsumi keyboard be interchanged with other types? I do have a NOS Stackpole from B&C in storage somewhere.

Swap out the 4000-series keyboard demuxers. One or both are probably dead.

Yes, do this, as I've had this same issue that was remedied by replacing the two demuxers (chips says 4051). And yes, Hi Tek and Stackpole 800 keyboards can be replaced, but keep the Mitsumi if you can, they are awesome. Even if you swap the 4051s, you may still find no response in the Mitsumi if the mylar contact traces are oxidized (very likely). The fix is the same for the 1200XL Mitsumi keyboards.

Found the 4051s and replaced them (cheap fun at less than 1€ a piece ;)) but apparently that wasn't the fault. Only the "9" key is working (which I probably did not test before), everything else seems to be dead. So I think I'll have to repaint the mylar.

Found the 4051s and replaced them (cheap fun at less than 1€ a piece ;)) but apparently that wasn't the fault. Only the "9" key is working (which I probably did not test before), everything else seems to be dead. So I think I'll have to repaint the mylar.

Yes, this is classic Mitsumi behavior 35+ years later. Follow the Retrobits procedure for the 1200XL Mitsumi repair. The keyboard repair is the same.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...