IGNORED

Using Lotharek's SIO2SD

hueyjones70

I have (and use) all of the devices listed above. And while all of them are amazing... they were not always easy to learn to use. One thing I noticed was that a lot of the instructions/posts/commentary for the SIO2SD, Ultimate1mb, Ultimate cart etc. are all geared towards Atari power users. People with lots of experience with the nuts and bolts of the machine. I fall somewhere in the middle. I'm good with PCs, and a user of the 8-bits since I was a kid, but I never delved into Assembly or the hardware all that much.

You can figure out how to use these without a proper manual, but you have to be willing to do a bunch of google searches and trial and error to get there. Maybe a sticky threat listing pdfs, posts, instructions etc for each device would be in order?

Guys

I do not own one of these, but I gave it a shot translating the manual the best I could (Google translation) and formatted to look like the German manual. I did NOT provide ANY screenshots because, as stated, I do not own one of these. So if someone wants to use this as a template and add screenshots with English translations, that would be great.

Let me know if this would work for you and you guys can take it from here! I will need to email the original *.docx to you though since this is a *.pdf version attached.

attachicon.gifSIO2SD 3.pdf

Thank you!!!

• 5 months later...

I have bought SIO2SD from Lotharek and am very happy with it.
I would like to install it in the case of Atari 130XE and am looking for a way to connect extra switches instead of onboard K1 to K4 + Shift. I don't like the idea of soldering wires on the onboard switches... So, does anybody know what are JP1, JP2 and JP3 jumpers? Can I use this to connect replacement K1 - K4 and Shift keys?
What are pins above R10 resistor?

Ill see what i can do on translation.. im working on the 1UMB BRICK Flashing process right now, ill do that one next.. After i finish that.

For a simple user, my above instructions are more than enough.

For advanced users, there are two manuals, unfortunately in Polish language only.

It would be nice if someone would translate them.

attachicon.gifOPIS Configurator v35.pdf attachicon.gifOpis SETUP i K1-K4 v3.1.pdf

• 8 months later...

Today, after assembled one board, and got the SD boots up! I am using Firmware 3.0RC5. After spent countless hours, I still not able to have the SIO2SD to boot up the sio2sd.xex in the SD card's root directory! My SD looks working, because I am able to select files from the SD card.

But, I am so damn confused all the D1-D15 and V1-V98 stuff!

I just wanted to have sio2sd.xex boots up and let me select a *ATR file to run.

I've translated (via Google translate) the instructions from the PDF file OpisSETUPiK1-K4v3.1.pdf, and yet nothing works!

It's so $^$%$ painful to get an *.ATR file loaded! Please help!

Edited by unebonnevie

If that's the case hold the config button and set it to load it everytime, not just on power up or shift pressed.... once you set the option move to another configs option to ensure it's saved, then leave the config/power cycle... should come up not problem..

I followed the above link to the letter. And the sio2sd.xex does *not* get loaded. Instead, the config menu is started every time the computer is started. So, I choose "config mode" to start only if "K4+shift" held down when starting the computer. That does not get me into config mode, which is expected; however, the sio2sd.xex again is NOT loaded. My Atari 800XL starts up with the "READY" BASIC prompt.

Btw, I set "Device ID:" to ZERO. It does not matter if "Top Drive:" is set to ON or OFF. Same problem, the sio2sd.xex is not loaded into the Atari 800XL.

My LCD displays:

D1: MULE.ATR

International Karate

In my "ATARI" folder of the SD card, I have the MULE.ATR and "International Karate.ATR" files. I've been attempting to choose D1 to load mule automatically?

My firmware Version is 3.1RC2. I am just lost on this!

SETUP (firmware v3.1)

Format an SD card (FAT 12, 16 or 32 file systems)

Download sio2sd.zip , extract sio2sd.xex and copy it to SD card

Make a folder named Atari

Put into that folder

Insert SD card into SIO2SD

Turn on computer

On SIO2SD double press SHIFT button (gray button on SIO2SD Micro / PC Combo)

"CFG TOOL mode" will appear on the LCD display

Press K1 button (Drive button on SIO2SD Micro) to enter "cfgtool mode : "

With K2 button (Button file on SIO2SD Micro) select" every startup "

Press K3 button (ESC button on SIO2SD Micro)

Press K1 button (Drive button on SIO2SD Micro) to go to" topdrive mode "

With K2 button (File button on SIO2SD Micro) set it to "off"

Turn off computer

Turn on computer

In this way every time you turn on your Atari menu will be loaded.

To have SD card files sorted, use DriveSort , a nice Windows application.

Edited by unebonnevie

Download the attached folder and extract it to the root of SD card.

The root should have:

Atari

Sio2sd.cfg

Sio2sd.xex

Thanks. That's exactly what I have, although the Sio2Sd.cfg file is created after the first time configuring all the options. I tried your SIO2SD.ZIP and something interesting happens.

1) My TV goes blank. There is no Atari "READY" BASIC prompt.

2) The LCD of the SIO2SD displays the below.

D1: - OFF

/Games

I'll check my original Atari SIO cable, which I bought from eBay. It could be bad. I know for sure there is a +5V going to the SIO2SD board from the Atari. Otherwise, I wouldn't be seeing the LCD being on.

Edited by unebonnevie

Thanks. That's exactly what I have, although the Sio2Sd.cfg file is created after the first time configuring all the options. I tried your SIO2SD.ZIP and something interesting happens.

1) My TV goes blank. There is no Atari "READY" BASIC prompt.

2) The LCD of the SIO2SD displays the below.

D1: - OFF

/Games

I'll check my original Atari SIO cable, which I bought from eBay. It could be bad. I know for sure there is a +5V going to the SIO2SD board from the Atari. Otherwise, I wouldn't be seeing the LCD being on.

Ah...Crab! Now my Atari 800XL powers up but screen goes blank, even the SIO2SD is unplugged. :sad: :sad: LOL! Another problem!

• 10 months later...

His online video is weak, and the menu system he describes still has buttons labeled K1, K2, K3, K4 and Shift, whereas mine has a Enter button instead of K4.

Can't recommend it currently.

And he is using counterfeit SanDisk SD Micro cards labeled 16Gb but are actually 2Gb

• Like 1

I also have a SIO2SD. I don't have a big problem with using the buttons, though it is inconvenient. I've tried to use the application to have an on screen menu system, but it just doesn't work with the 800's. I got a "patched" version at one point that was supposed to fix things (I think from Lotharek directly), but I can only get 1 or 2 folders in before it completely locks up. Not sure if it's a memory issue or it's just heavily dependent on XL architecture. (Wish there was source code to it too somewhere.)

So I just deal with it when I want to use it.

I really like the hardware quality from Lotharek.  I have the "BIGGUS DICKUS" SIO2SD and SIO splitter.

I frequently use SIO2SD with my 800, so I've downgraded the SIO2SD firmware to 2.5 which works fine on my setup.

I did notice a lot of crashing/hanging with the 3.1RC? versions of SIO2SD firmware when running on the 800.

Another benefit of the 2.5 firmware is that its much simpler, just D1 - D8, no virtual disks or maps, which makes it more user friendly IMO.

2.5 also has the "ATR swap" function when you press "Shift + K3" which is very useful (I've never figured out how to do that in the 3.1RC? versions).

biggus_dickus.jpg

Edited by retrobits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, retrobits said:

I really like the hardware quality from Lotharek.  I have the "BIGGUS DICKUS" SIO2SD and SIO splitter.

I frequently use SIO2SD with my 800, so I've downgraded the SIO2SD firmware to 2.5 which works fine on my setup.

I did notice a lot of crashing/hanging with the 3.1RC? versions of SIO2SD firmware when running on the 800.

Another benefit of the 2.5 firmware is that its much simpler, just D1 - D8, no virtual disks or maps, which makes it more user friendly IMO.

2.5 also has the "ATR swap" function when you press "Shift + K3" which is very useful (I've never figured out how to do that in the 3.1RC? versions).

biggus_dickus.jpg

The SIO Splitter sounds nice.

Yes, the SIO2SD seems to work more reliably when connected to the SIO Splitter.
Also I have the SDrive Max and don't need to use external power when in the Splitter.

Its very reasonably priced, like $22 I think.  But shipping from Poland to USA is a little much these days.

5 hours ago, retrobits said:

Hm I may have to try downgrading the firmware, once I figure out how and find that version. 

The 2.5 firmware seems to work best with 2GB FAT16 format sdcard, at least in my experience.

In windows 10, to format the sdcard correctly, right click sdcard drive, choose Format, select File System: FAT and Allocation Size: <Blank> and check "Quick Format".

firmware for SIO2SD is here http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/SoftwareAVR_en

download the 2.5 file named "sio2sd.bin" and put it in the root of your sdcard.

To enter config mode on firmware 3.1RC?, you tap shift a few times. The instructions say to hold for 5 seconds, but tapping seemed to work for my device.

The LCD should display the word "config" along with either the current firmware version or "Lotharek".

At that point, I think you press Shift+K3 to begin the upgrade/downgrade.

After its done you will need to delete the SIO2SD.CFG file in the root of your sdcard to reset the settings to default.

Edited by retrobits

22 hours ago, retrobits said:

the SIO2SD seems to work more reliably when connected to the SIO Splitter.
Also I have the SDrive Max .

Do you find that you have trouble using the SIO2SD's onscreen menu while the SDrive-MAX is connected in serial via the splitter?  Because I do.  Both devices will communicate with each other just fine if I do not try to load the menu, so I am stuck with the device displays if I want to have both connected at the same time.  

2 hours ago, SS said:

Do you find that you have trouble using the SIO2SD's onscreen menu while the SDrive-MAX is connected in serial via the splitter?  Because I do.  Both devices will communicate with each other just fine if I do not try to load the menu, so I am stuck with the device displays if I want to have both connected at the same time.  

I typically don't use both devices, but I tried for a while today and I do see an occasional hang in the on screen menu in SIO2SD.

Its infrequent though on my setup.  Maybe 1 out of 10 game selection/execute cycles.  I had SIO2SD with D2 set to OFF, and SDrive-MAX with all drives off except D2.

Lately I've been (slowly) going through the source code, converting to mac65 & debugging, the on screen menu for the 2.5 firmware. 

Mainly for my own education and possibly to make a few tweaks in the display code.  Maybe I can eventually find the cause of the hang.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

assign your sio 2 sd as another device... you can choose 0-3 or is it 4

Wow, thanks Doc, I just tried this and it worked!  Running both SIO2SD and SDrive-MAX at the same time.

Here's my setup:

Atari 800 (stock)

SIO Splitter
SIO2SD (Firmware 2.5) (set DeviceID=1 in device config) (D2:OFF)

SDrive-MAX (only D2: mounted with ATR)

Loaded and ran programs for about 30 minutes, loaded DOS several times, accessed files on the SDrive-MAX, and back to SIOSD menu, etc.  No crashes nor hangs.

Edited by retrobits
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

assign your sio 2 sd as another device... you can choose 0-3 or is it 4

43 minutes ago, retrobits said:

Wow, thanks Doc, I just tried this and it worked!  Running both SIO2SD and SDrive-MAX at the same time.

Yep.  That seems to have cleared up my problem too, as long as "D0" isn't selected on the SDrive-MAX (which I never use anyway).  Thanks!  :)