IGNORED

What Atari games have the most satisfying ending to them?

kiwilove

Meaning games for the Atari 8-bit computers - that has a nice ending sequence to fight through - or - has an excellent ending animation sequence to it, worth playing through for?

Never made it through to the Shadows' Lair in Shamus - but did make it to the end of Sea Dragon - which was alright - but for this game it's the journey through it's levels that makes it satisfying - through some pretty tight corners - which you can do without some cheating help - if you have the patience for it.

Never made it through Stratos to know if this does have an ending to it?

Guess there would be threads on this subject - haven't searched for them...

Harvey

I don't think it was anything spectacular graphics wise, but I do remember how awesome it was to have completed "The Halley Project"... My dad and I spent at least a few weeks playing this working through all the challenges to identify which planets, moons, orbit elevations etc needed to complete each mission in the game. The final mission resulted in a special code you could mail off to the authors to receive some special prize, but alas we were playing a pirated copy, and many years after they had shut down anyway.

This was before the internet, where we had every encyclopedia and space book open looking up facts and researching about all the things in our solar system... Even had to call the local Planetarium for some help with some of the challenges too :)

Good times!

• Like 2

Goonies!

I think we had to use a cheat to get through it, but the ending scene was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goonies was a pain, I finally completed it once, but it was definitely a fun game and worth it.

One that is the opposite on this list would be Pitfall II. I'd attempt to describe that game, but I think the filter would block out every word... so much frustration there... My brother and I were determined to win the game. We'd gotten close before, but this time we absolutely had to. So what we ended up doing was pausing the game after trying for about 8 hours straight. Slept, then started playing the next day and won it about an hour after that. It's not that it takes that long to win, it's just all about some VERY specific timing, and a lot of luck. But the ending was absolutely terrible.

Worse ending still is Shinobi on the Sega Master System, but that's off topic.

Alienants I *think* looks like it'd have an amazing ending. I remember the graphics of it being epic at the time I first saw it. Weirdly it's 3 disk sides (I think? at least that many) but the game was short from what I read about it later. Pretty hard / weird game though. I should try again to win it!

Never made it through to the Shadows' Lair in Shamus - but did make it to the end of Sea Dragon - which was alright - but for this game it's the journey through it's levels that makes it satisfying - through some pretty tight corners - which you can do without some cheating help - if you have the patience for it.

While I am a big fan of Shamus, killing the Shadow won't reveal much to write home about, and it doesn't really "end" as it will wrap around at a faster speed for three times and then become unplayably slow upon reaching the green level (not that I've made it that far myself, that's based on analysing the game code). On the C64 you'll get a long scrolling text, but then the game is over for good.

Goonies was a pain, I finally completed it once, but it was definitely a fun game and worth it.

One that is the opposite on this list would be Pitfall II. I'd attempt to describe that game, but I think the filter would block out every word... so much frustration there... My brother and I were determined to win the game. We'd gotten close before, but this time we absolutely had to. So what we ended up doing was pausing the game after trying for about 8 hours straight. Slept, then started playing the next day and won it about an hour after that. It's not that it takes that long to win, it's just all about some VERY specific timing, and a lot of luck. But the ending was absolutely terrible.

Worse ending still is Shinobi on the Sega Master System, but that's off topic.

Alienants I *think* looks like it'd have an amazing ending. I remember the graphics of it being epic at the time I first saw it. Weirdly it's 3 disk sides (I think? at least that many) but the game was short from what I read about it later. Pretty hard / weird game though. I should try again to win it!

Finished it, the ending is pretty cool. Yeah, I never really understood why it spanned 3 disk sides, there are some hacks that have trimmed it down, but they don't work right, obviously the hackers of those versions never played it all through to make sure it worked right. In fact, I started a thread about Aliants here several months ago, because I couldn't find an ATR or XEX of it that did work right. I think someone finally posted a good version for me. The third disk side is used as a "key" in the game, when told, near the end, you insert disk three and then have to enter a special code to continue and finish the game (after just being promoted to fleet Admiral).

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I always liked the ending of the game "Schreckenstein" by Peter Finzel.

The game has a very balanced difficulty and with fair amount of training it can be very satisfying to go through the challenging final level. After that one can see the congratulations screen.

• Like 1

How about Alley Cats' end of level :thumbsup:

I'd say games with an ending I didn't replay as much, I liked the Quasimodo "Oh No here we go again" approach - If anyone played through my Gwobby's Adventure and killed Evil Emperor Nyorb on the final shoot-out (screen 50) then they will see what I did ;)

Caverns of Mars :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say games with an ending I didn't replay as much, I liked the Quasimodo "Oh No here we go again" approach - If anyone played through my Gwobby's Adventure and killed Evil Emperor Nyorb on the final shoot-out (screen 50) then they will see what I did ;)

http://www.freewebs.com/gwobby/games.htm

404 ?

no worries, atarionline.pl has it.

Make sure it's the final version (1.2)

:)

Gwobby and Co can be found at http://www.freewebs.com/gwobby/

:)

• Like 1