IGNORED

PSVR 1yr anniversary :)

Iwantgames:)

I'd say after using it for a few months that PSVR is not really "living room friendly" unless you have a house full of adults who aren't worried about wires and clutter. The external processor is a little spidery thing and the headset is constantly wired. That is probably a good thing considering the fact that batteries wouldn't last for crap.

The motion sickness thing is real too - needs to get better.

My advice is to experiment with a VR unit that works with your computer and just wait a few more years for this to come to the living room. You will still be able to play Doom VR at the next iteration - THEY won't let you forget it exists.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a PlayStation VR for pretty cheap at Gamestop right now!

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-vr-headset-camera-bundle/150721

It's only $199 for the base set! (VR unit and camera)

Not sure how long the sale is going on, so you should jump on it if i you want it cheap!

They have a couple other sets that are discounted, but the next price from there is $299 for Doom VFX (just adds DOOM VR to main set) or $349 for Skyrim VR bundle (comes with VR, camera, 2 Move controllers, and Skyrim VR)

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Definitely try one of these out if you can before buying, I know the lower price seems tempting. I get the motion sickness with PSVR pretty bad :| (technically, I think it's the opposite of motion sickness because that infers you're experiencing actual motion. There's some other brain mechanic at play. I've never gotten actual motion sickness in any capacity, even being on the ocean in rough conditions. My adverse reaction to PSVR took me completely by surprise.)

Driving games are the worst, but after the Dragon chase scene at the beginning of Skyrim I think I'm done with the current tech. Face gets hot and I feel like puking, there's a lingering light headache that lasts for an hour or so after. I've seen folks say you just need to give it time, but why in the world would I do that?

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 2

You can get a PlayStation VR for pretty cheap at Gamestop right now!

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-vr-headset-camera-bundle/150721

It's only $199 for the base set! (VR unit and camera)

Not sure how long the sale is going on, so you should jump on it if i you want it cheap!

They have a couple other sets that are discounted, but the next price from there is $299 for Doom VFX (just adds DOOM VR to main set) or $349 for Skyrim VR bundle (comes with VR, camera, 2 Move controllers, and Skyrim VR)

I believe the $199 units are the older models that don't have HDR passthrough. If you don't have a TV with HDR, no big deal. But if you plan to get one in the next few years, this PSVR model will annoy you.

I'd say after using it for a few months that PSVR is not really "living room friendly" unless you have a house full of adults who aren't worried about wires and clutter. The external processor is a little spidery thing and the headset is constantly wired. That is probably a good thing considering the fact that batteries wouldn't last for crap.

The motion sickness thing is real too - needs to get better.

My advice is to experiment with a VR unit that works with your computer and just wait a few more years for this to come to the living room. You will still be able to play Doom VR at the next iteration - THEY won't let you forget it exists.

For now, I have a secondary PS4 dedicated to being a VR station in a "safe" location. It's not the most ideal solution, but it's better than the mess of wires on the primary PS4 Pro (not to mention the fact that I have the original PSVR without HDR support, which is a no-go for me).

• Like 1

I believe the $199 units are the older models that don't have HDR passthrough. If you don't have a TV with HDR, no big deal. But if you plan to get one in the next few years, this PSVR model will annoy you.

Oh? I didn't know there was already a second revision... I don't have an HDR TV, so I guess that doesn't make any difference to me.

I just figured to share because it was a good price, but this is good to know information! Thanks. :)

I snagged a $199 version with Gran Turismo Sports and it is indeed the older version of the headset. I also am going to be using it on a TV that has HDR and like 3 or 4 HDMI ports. I really don't use my PS4 much and will probably only use the VR every now and again. (Unless it winds up like my PS Eye, HD-DVD player, Kinect and other console add-on I've bought over the years, tucked away in a cubby somewhere)

Anyways...What is the big deal with the older models? Why would not having a pass-through be a big pain?

Anyways...What is the big deal with the older models? Why would not having a pass-through be a big pain?

That means that if you want HDR in your games - and if you have an HDR-capable 4K TV, of course you do - you need to unplug the breakout box each and every time. It's a big hassle and a serious omission on Sony's part. Fortunately they fixed it in rev 2, but all of us rev 1 owners are not so lucky.

• Like 1

That means that if you want HDR in your games - and if you have an HDR-capable 4K TV, of course you do - you need to unplug the breakout box each and every time. It's a big hassle and a serious omission on Sony's part. Fortunately they fixed it in rev 2, but all of us rev 1 owners are not so lucky.

I gotcha. I'm using my Xbox One X for HDR content, so I'm not really worried about the lack of pass through I don't guess.

I grabbed a bunch of cheap VR games (Worlds, Voltron, Pinball FX2, Dying Reborn, Weeping Doll) off the Sony Store last night and Rush of Blood is free right now. I've played Rush of Blood and Worlds before and think both are solid.

Some of the other I got had very mixed reviews, but were cheap enough I didn't care. Curious as to what people think are the "must haves" as far as the PS VR goes.

I've only played a few titles myself after purchasing the same Gran Turismo Sports bundle.

Gran Turismo Sports - This is cool, but I think I got motion sick from it. Also not a huge racing simulation person, so this won't get much attention.

EVE Valkyrie - This is the main reason I bought it. It's a great space flight game and really enjoy this one!

Archangel - Surprisingly good (and tough) first person mech game. It's got a strong arcade style, but it's a lot of fun! It's even cooler if you have PlayStation Move controllers to control the arms! I keep dying though because I'm not shielding properly.

Starblood Arena - A "Space FPS" as I'm going to call it. It's arena battles where you fly around as one of several space ships and try to shoot down others. Feels a lot more arcade-y and action packed than EVE Valkyrie was so far. I had fun, but this gave me a bit of motion sickness as well. I think it was because it kept going from VR off and on as constant loading was needed.

I'm gonna pick up Resident Evil 7 eventually and considering other titles. Probably not Skyrim VR as that would require a lot of time and still not sure how well I'm handling all this. I've never been prone to motion sickness, but Gran Turismo really did a number on me...

I've only played a few titles myself after purchasing the same Gran Turismo Sports bundle.

Gran Turismo Sports - This is cool, but I think I got motion sick from it. Also not a huge racing simulation person, so this won't get much attention.

EVE Valkyrie - This is the main reason I bought it. It's a great space flight game and really enjoy this one!

Archangel - Surprisingly good (and tough) first person mech game. It's got a strong arcade style, but it's a lot of fun! It's even cooler if you have PlayStation Move controllers to control the arms! I keep dying though because I'm not shielding properly.

Starblood Arena - A "Space FPS" as I'm going to call it. It's arena battles where you fly around as one of several space ships and try to shoot down others. Feels a lot more arcade-y and action packed than EVE Valkyrie was so far. I had fun, but this gave me a bit of motion sickness as well. I think it was because it kept going from VR off and on as constant loading was needed.

I'm gonna pick up Resident Evil 7 eventually and considering other titles. Probably not Skyrim VR as that would require a lot of time and still not sure how well I'm handling all this. I've never been prone to motion sickness, but Gran Turismo really did a number on me...

Skyrim VR really is awesome. And at least for me doesnt give vr Sickness

Skyrim VR really is awesome. And at least for me doesnt give vr Sickness

That's pretty good to hear!

I'll be honest... I'm also just not sure if I really want to buy Skyrim again considering I have bought a minimum of like... 5 copies already. :lol:

If I really wanted to buy it again, I'd probably do the Switch version because at least that one is portable. Skyrim VR seems like it'd be a really neat trip, but I don't think I could play it for hours on end.

That's pretty good to hear!

I'll be honest... I'm also just not sure if I really want to buy Skyrim again considering I have bought a minimum of like... 5 copies already. :lol:

If I really wanted to buy it again, I'd probably do the Switch version because at least that one is portable. Skyrim VR seems like it'd be a really neat trip, but I don't think I could play it for hours on end.

This is the same reason I don't have much interest in Skyrim VR right now. I literally just got finished playing through the remastered version with 100% achievements like a week ago. This after playing through the 360 version a couple years ago. If this had been Oblivion VR I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but I've had my fill of Skyrim for now.

• Like 1

Well I got the PSVR, Doom, and Skyrim yesterday.

Doom amazingly defaulted to weird, warping tank controls, with both the left and right stick. I thought that was the way the game was solely designed at first and almost threw fit. Then I found the options in the menu to turn it into a real game (left stick moves you smoothly, not 6 virtual feet at a time, right stick actually looks smoothly, not as if it was going around a clock only hitting only the hour numbers). Suddenly it is fun! But it's taking some getting used too, and I don't know how I feel about the warp mechanic. Also seem like the game ramps up the baddies right away. I hope this game isn't SUPER short.

Skyrim defaulted to awful, jumpy controls only on the right stick, and by then I knew to go right in and turn that crap off. Voila, real game again. I'm honestly really into the effect and the combat (!) but not so into Skyrim itself any more...can anyone remind me is there a battle coliseum in this one or was that Oblivion? I honestly just want somewhere to fight monsters and stuff....I have no interest in trekking over miles and miles AND MILES of mountains all over again doing tedious side quests.

I think once I finish Doom and tire of Skyrim, Drive Club and Resident Evil are up next. I will say the VR is pretty neat (even my wife was enjoying 10 minutes of Doom and it was hilarious to watch her play) if you can get over the graphical step down. Wish I could see a comparison of what it looks like standard PS4 to Pro.

Also, is anyone else getting REALLY low volume with the headphone sound cranked all the way up?

I've never used headphones with my PS4 before, but both the earbuds for the VR thing, and alternately a pair of wired Sennheisers plugged into the headset, sound way way too low. I can't really immerse myself in a way due to this. All volume is cranked in all menus I can find.

Also, is anyone else getting REALLY low volume with the headphone sound cranked all the way up?

I've never used headphones with my PS4 before, but both the earbuds for the VR thing, and alternately a pair of wired Sennheisers plugged into the headset, sound way way too low. I can't really immerse myself in a way due to this. All volume is cranked in all menus I can find.

I found the ones that came with the VR really low but the Frogz earbuds I found at Walmart are good. Not super loud but they make it were I dont hear anything but the game :)

Also are you just adjusting volume in game or also via the PS4 system menu?

And unfortunately DOOM isnt that long. If youve played the new non vr DOOM from 2016 its basically the same game but with some bits removed. So a little shorter

• Like 1

I found the ones that came with the VR really low but the Frogz earbuds I found at Walmart are good. Not super loud but they make it were I dont hear anything but the game :)

Also are you just adjusting volume in game or also via the PS4 system menu?

And unfortunately DOOM isnt that long. If youve played the new non vr DOOM from 2016 its basically the same game but with some bits removed. So a little shorter

Yeah I said the hell with headphones and just turned on my receiver and played with real surround sound, which thankfully still passes through (picture does not sadly, I wanted to see what my buddy was seeing even if in 2D but no pass through pic on the TV). I adjusted every volume slider I could find. Was odd, some were maxed but also locked out so that I could not adjust them one way or the other. Didn't understand that.

I did play the 2016 Doom (and loved it) and now that I am getting farther in (played last night for a while) I can recognize most of it. Too bad they shortened it..I'd love to play the whole game this way. I was super into it last night, since I started hitting some of the bigger battles. Was pretty intense.

Yeah I said the hell with headphones and just turned on my receiver and played with real surround sound, which thankfully still passes through (picture does not sadly, I wanted to see what my buddy was seeing even if in 2D but no pass through pic on the TV). I adjusted every volume slider I could find. Was odd, some were maxed but also locked out so that I could not adjust them one way or the other. Didn't understand that.

I did play the 2016 Doom (and loved it) and now that I am getting farther in (played last night for a while) I can recognize most of it. Too bad they shortened it..I'd love to play the whole game this way. I was super into it last night, since I started hitting some of the bigger battles. Was pretty intense.

Strange that your not able to see anything on your TV every game Ive played on mine appears on the TV when Im playing

Strange that your not able to see anything on your TV every game Ive played on mine appears on the TV when Im playing

Really? WTH! Do you turn your TV on first?

I have a projector but I don't see why it should work any different. But I did turn my projector on AFTER my headset.

Maybe my receiver has an issue for some reason...mine goes PS4--PSVR--AV Receiver--Projector

Well I got the PSVR, Doom, and Skyrim yesterday.

Doom amazingly defaulted to weird, warping tank controls, with both the left and right stick. I thought that was the way the game was solely designed at first and almost threw fit. Then I found the options in the menu to turn it into a real game (left stick moves you smoothly, not 6 virtual feet at a time, right stick actually looks smoothly, not as if it was going around a clock only hitting only the hour numbers). Suddenly it is fun! But it's taking some getting used too, and I don't know how I feel about the warp mechanic. Also seem like the game ramps up the baddies right away. I hope this game isn't SUPER short.

Skyrim defaulted to awful, jumpy controls only on the right stick, and by then I knew to go right in and turn that crap off. Voila, real game again. I'm honestly really into the effect and the combat (!) but not so into Skyrim itself any more...can anyone remind me is there a battle coliseum in this one or was that Oblivion? I honestly just want somewhere to fight monsters and stuff....I have no interest in trekking over miles and miles AND MILES of mountains all over again doing tedious side quests.

I'm sure those weird control defaults are to prevent motion sickness. I only played a few VR games, but when I turned on smooth motion in one, I immediately felt ill. I hate the choppy, jumpy controls too, but I now get why they are there.

• Like 1