IGNORED

White Men Can't Jump - Atari Jaguar Review - Worst Jag Game?!

Adriano Arcade

I did a blog post on WMCJ a few months ago:

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/blog/12/entry-79-006-white-men-cant-jump/

It's defintely not a good game but it's far from the worst on the system. It was a unique approach to two on two basketball that ultimately doesn't work due to the weird pseudo-3D perspective and stuttered/unresponsive controls. That said, it also has a "so bad it's good" quality that makes multiplayer a hoot!

• Like 1

Even though they suck, even I can't say WMCJ or Supercross 3D are the 'worst' games for the Jaguar. They're mostly playable at least.

The absolute worst game for the system released back then... that distinction should probably go to Checkered Flag. For all intents and purposes, this game is totally unplayable as a racer or otherwise. Sure, you can play it in manual mode and keep it in a low gear, but you're no longer racing are you? Step it up just a little bit and you find yourself bumping/crashing into everything.

That said, I have a soft spot for the game and keep a reproduction of it with Cyrano's steering hack around for the hell of it. Really had high hopes for it when released and always try to like the game (more like demo) for what it is, but can admit that it's probably the worst. Still astounded to this day, that it was released in its current form. As if the "testers" didn't play more than a few seconds of it at a time. Saw some screenshots and said: "yep, good enough". ugh

The airplane and other racing game (Speedway or Speedster, whatever it's called) made for the Wal-Mart/K*Mart kiddie rides don't count, but if they did - I'd have to go with them as worse than Checkered Flag. That's saying a lot, huh? :rolling:

• Like 1

I did a blog post on WMCJ a few months ago:

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/blog/12/entry-79-006-white-men-cant-jump/

It's defintely not a good game but it's far from the worst on the system. It was a unique approach to two on two basketball that ultimately doesn't work due to the weird pseudo-3D perspective and stuttered/unresponsive controls. That said, it also has a "so bad it's good" quality that makes multiplayer a hoot!

I had a quick look - great summary of WMCJ! I agree that the game showed some ambition, but I found the gameplay almost unplayable!

• Like 1

Nice review man! I certainly don't think it's the worst Jaguar game (for me that goes to Club Drive) but I always enjoyed WMCJ as a kid. Certainly doesn't hold up to more advanced games of the time (NBA Jam TE) and it aged terribly compared to games now!

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. NBA Jam TE is a zillion times more polished!

Totally disagree with that review.vyiu gave nothing concrete on why you felt it was so bad. Came off more as a 'its trendy to bash WMCJ'

I appreciate your honest comments. I didn't want to hate WMCJ and there are some quite ambitious ideas being used. My main drawback of the game was the gameplay. I just found the controls so hard to get my head around. I do appreciate you reading my review.

Even though they suck, even I can't say WMCJ or Supercross 3D are the 'worst' games for the Jaguar. They're mostly playable at least.

The absolute worst game for the system released back then... that distinction should probably go to Checkered Flag. For all intents and purposes, this game is totally unplayable as a racer or otherwise. Sure, you can play it in manual mode and keep it in a low gear, but you're no longer racing are you? Step it up just a little bit and you find yourself bumping/crashing into everything.

That said, I have a soft spot for the game and keep a reproduction of it with Cyrano's steering hack around for the hell of it. Really had high hopes for it when released and always try to like the game (more like demo) for what it is, but can admit that it's probably the worst. Still astounded to this day, that it was released in its current form. As if the "testers" didn't play more than a few seconds of it at a time. Saw some screenshots and said: "yep, good enough". ugh

The airplane and other racing game (Speedway or Speedster, whatever it's called) made for the Wal-Mart/K*Mart kiddie rides don't count, but if they did - I'd have to go with them as worse than Checkered Flag. That's saying a lot, huh? :rolling:

I actually quite like Checkered Flag. But yes, I agree with most of your comments. Thanks for your feedback. :)

my problem in reviewing jag games is some of the worst games get kinder reviews because your reviewing 20 year old games.

then you have the issue is wmcj the worst game compared to other basketball games on the jag, well their are 2 complete (wmcj and nba jam) and the 1 incomplete barkley shut up and jam.

i would rate it at #2 jag basketball game, of the 60 or so games atari released duriing the original run it would be in the lower 10,i play it more than most the other sports games on jag were it may not be the better game but it is easier to pivk up and play then football or soccer for me

Edited by Pete5125

Hey you can still have it NEW with team tap:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Atari-Jaguar-White-Men-Can-t-Jump-With-Multi-Player-Tap-64-Bit/181322011

Go back to 20+Y ago and think of plunking down 70US$ to get this baby (team tap and all) ... oh yeah I feel your pain.

(same price as Checkered Flag I reckon but still, two turds do not a spring make)