IGNORED

Are you EMP proof?

motonerve

So I was reading an article about there being a possibility of a solar flare hitting Earth within the next 100 years and frying our technology, and it got me wondering if there are any collectors out there who store anything in emp proof containers?

So has anyone prepared for this? If society manages to make it through such an event cartridge games that survived would be incredibly rare.

I'm not sure games would be affected equally on the planet.

Usually, the trouble with solar flares come from live appliances, and the main concern is with satellites, that doesn't benefit as well of the terrestrial magnetic field.

Power lines being a good trap for EMP would fail.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/solar-flare-electronics2.htm

While the magnetic fields would probably not short out individual electronics devices like cell phones or computers, communications systems could fail regionally. In other words, small devices would still work but would lack the services they require to be useful. It's possible that a CME could even affect your computer and cause glitches. In most cases, a simple reboot would solve the problem. But with the loss of the power grid, you'd be limited by your battery's charge. Once that ran out, you'd be stuck.

Basically, our old games would be safe. Depending on the duration of the event and where you are, you might not be affected at all - if that flare last fr a few hours and you were on the night side of the Earth, you'd have a massive 40 000km of Earth shield for our games.

So, sleep peacefully. Our society might collaspe, but our games will be safe.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 4

Someone should be contacting Elon Musk about sending an Atari 7800 and games to Mars in case the Earth gets wiped out.

Albert goes to the launches right? Maybe he can just slip a 7800 in one of the astronaut's luggage.

Pack it in a box labeled "Backup Navigation Computer" and include a cart of This Planet Sucks.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

I file this away with nuclear Armageddon... if it happens, I'm just banking on not being one of the survivors.

Jeez you and me both. With no operational power grid or functioning equipment, we lose communication, refrigeration, transportation, water supply & waste services. With that comes food spoilage, loss of civil authority and a massive die off. The disease would be rampant from the millions dying in the first days and weeks. It'll be every man for himself and that is just the tip of the iceburg.

• Like 1

Jeez you and me both. With no operational power grid or functioning equipment, we lose communication, refrigeration, transportation, water supply & waste services. With that comes food spoilage, loss of civil authority and a massive die off. The disease would be rampant from the millions dying in the first days and weeks. It'll be every man for himself and that is just the tip of the iceburg.

Totally. I won't play the Fallout games, new or old, because it's just so sad and bleak, like The Road.

Chances of EMP effecting electronics in the home is basically 0 from natural sources, unless their is a major event such as a pulsar forming near our solar system, and its axis is pointed at Earth.

Only reason Solar Flares effect the power grid is becomes of the vast amount of cabling used, which acts like a antenna

I'm not afraid of solar flares, but man-made EMP seems a lot more likely. Please don't consider this a political statement, but Doomsday Clock says:

IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
DoomsdayClock_black_2.5mins_regmark (1).png
DoomsdayClock_black_2.5mins_regmark%20%2
2017: For the last two years, the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock stayed set at three minutes before the hour, the closest it had been to midnight since the early 1980s. In its two most recent annual announcements on the Clock, the Science and Security Board warned: “The probability of global catastrophe is very high, and the actions needed to reduce the risks of disaster must be taken very soon.” In 2017, we find the danger to be even greater, the need for action more urgent. It is two and a half minutes to midnight, the Clock is ticking, global danger looms. Wise public officials should act immediately, guiding humanity away from the brink. If they do not, wise citizens must step forward and lead the way. See the full statement from the Science and Security Board on the 2017 time of the Doomsday Clock.
  • Like 1

Movies like The Postman basically show what the world will be like. Gangs will run everything. If you haven't died from a disease or thirst or starvation and you haven't been murdered yet, you'll be a worker slave, a sex slave, or food. It would be a good idea to buy a bunch of lube now while you can because you're butt is going to be violated countless times, even if you're just a simple worker slave.

youtube.com/watch?v=BC8FxxvXYTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC8FxxvXYTY

If the power grid is knocked out, it will take about 3 days until society falls to pure anarchy. Games would be the least of your worries. And nobody will be taking them in exchange for food and water.

Puerto Rico hasn't really had power since the hurricane hit a few weeks ago, and society seems to be rolling along just fine there (albeit they could use way more mainland assistance than they're getting). I don't buy the hooplah that society is always on the verge of collapsing into pillaging gangs; if that were the case the disasters that befall areas around the globe annually would lead to nations collapsing pretty much constantly.

At any rate I'm not about to build a faraday cage around my Channel F, so I'll take my chances for a flare. If there's a nuke incoming I probably have bigger things to worry about than my stuff.

• Like 2

Yuck, that trailer is what turned me off of Costner for years. I do not think the post-apocalypse will have as many inspirational speeches or rousing music. The screaming seems realistic enough though, I suppose.

I haven't seen the movie of The Road, the book was plenty for me, but I guess we can all agree that life after [unspeakable event] will be nasty, brutish, and short.

• Like 1

Puerto Rico hasn't really had power since the hurricane hit a few weeks ago, and society seems to be rolling along just fine there (albeit they could use way more mainland assistance than they're getting). I don't buy the hooplah that society is always on the verge of collapsing into pillaging gangs; if that were the case the disasters that befall areas around the globe annually would lead to nations collapsing pretty much constantly.

Dunno, I'm not there and I doubt you are either (or neither of us would be on this silly web board), but ... https://www.google.com/search?q=looting+and+violence+in+puerto+rico

The bad scene in New Orleans after Katrina almost convinced me it would be good to be armed in the event of a bad situation. The likelihood of me or a family member shooting ourselves outweighs my fear of societal collapse, though.

• Like 1

Dunno, I'm not there and I doubt you are either (or neither of us would be on this silly web board), but ... https://www.google.com/search?q=looting+and+violence+in+puerto+rico

The bad scene in New Orleans after Katrina almost convinced me it would be good to be armed in the event of a bad situation. The likelihood of me or a family member shooting ourselves outweighs my fear of societal collapse, though.

I'm always wary of "looting" articles since they tend to be racially charged and trumped up cases of people breaking into stores for food, medicine, water and other supplies (and the term is practically never applied to white victims doing the same thing). But I'm also not shocked that some guys with guns in PR decided they were tired of waiting in line for gas and brandished weapons to get their fill first... especially since so many people are relying on gas generators.