IGNORED

Magician Master for Intellivision (Proof of Concept) My First Project

ColecoGamer

• 2 years later...
On 12/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, grips03 said:

Any update?

The Magician Master project isn’t dead. I was in a car accident in late 2019, which placed the project on a brief hold. I read all the later responses to this thread, and I am happy to see how excited people were for the project. I’m still excited to get this project finished. As @DZ-Jay suggested some time ago, I will migrate future updates of the project to the programming section.  

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

The Magician Master project isn’t dead. I was in a car accident in late 2019, which placed the project on a brief hold. I read all the later responses to this thread, and I am happy to see how excited people were for the project. I’m still excited to get this project finished. As @DZ-Jay suggested some time ago, I will migrate future updates of the project to the programming section.  

Great to hear you're back and hopefully healthy. This was looking very promising. 

1 hour ago, ColecoGamer said:

Glad to hear you are doing better.

• Like 1

Thank you @wolfy62 and @grips03! I hope to have a much better start this time. The sprites have been done for years now. The next obstacle were the backgrounds, which I had difficulty programming. I want detailed levels and not basic looking lines. Basically, I need to understand how to create a level using tiles. That’s where I’m at.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Thank you @wolfy62 and @grips03! I hope to have a much better start this time. The sprites have been done for years now. The next obstacle were the backgrounds, which I had difficulty programming. I want detailed levels and not basic looking lines. Basically, I need to understand how to create a level using tiles. That’s where I’m at.

You could check out IntyColor, which comes with IntyBASIC.  It takes a BMP file and shreds it into tiles, generating the necessary code for you.  It helps if you build your scene with an eye towards the color limitations of the platform.

Oscar's latest book even has a tutorial on how he uses IntyColor for background graphics.

-dZ.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

You could check out IntyColor, which comes with IntyBASIC.  It takes a BMP file and shreds it into tiles, generating the necessary code for you.  It helps if you build your scene with an eye towards the color limitations of the platform.

Oscar's latest book even has a tutorial on how he uses IntyColor for background graphics.

-dZ.

Excellent! Thank you for the info, @DZ-Jay! Quick question: if I wanted to paint the entire background/level (and then shred it like you said), what screen size does the Intellivision use? I’ve been searching the program forums for the answer; I just don’t think I came across it yet.

48 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Something to consider: making your first project something simpler - maybe a port - to get experience and build your knowledge.

Then later go pursue your vision for that game you always wanted to make.

I really like this idea and wanted to do this originally. I can’t remember who said this to me in the beginning, but they told me that I wouldn’t learn as well by trying to port someone else’s work. ? There are a lot of simple games out there that I would love to port to the Intellivision.

• Like 1

Wait… I bet that book you mentioned would answer my question. Not to be a bother, but do you have a link to his book? I am VERY serious about completing this project.

Óscar's website is https://nanochess.org. Click the "Store" link and you'll find his books and other goodies.

• Like 3

I’d like to add that I’m open to porting something over as my first project. I have a couple of ideas already.

I didn’t realize this until today, but I had purchased the Advanced Intellivision Programming book from Oscar’s site some time ago. I’m not sure why I didn’t buy the first one, though, but I plan on rectifying that mistake.

I really like this idea and wanted to do this originally. I can’t remember who said this to me in the beginning, but they told me that I wouldn’t learn as well by trying to port someone else’s work. ? There are a lot of simple games out there that I would love to port to the Intellivision.

Let me elaborate on my thinking, and I apologize in advance for the tangent. I know many people will read this and go WTF? 

Below is a model used by people who work in teaching. Idea is that, as people learn, they ideally should be supported so they can go from from bottom to top of the pyramid below.

image.thumb.png.1d26abc9340faa9fad358ffac5ced04d.png

Notice 'creation' is at the top. Meaning: creating your game is at the top.

To get there, you ideally would need to get through 'understanding', for instance. That you can get by asking around, reading Oscar's books, etc.

And then start 'applying' that knowledge... which I think you would achieve by typing someone else's programs, or porting existing work.

Naturally, over time you should feel more comfortable to 'create' your own stuff.

Of course, you may still want to short-circuit the model above and go straight to creation.

I think that is a harder path, but that is my take.

Anyway, I hope this makes my previous point be a little clearer.

(Also, I'm a sucker for colorful charts ;-))

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Excellent! Thank you for the info, @DZ-Jay! Quick question: if I wanted to paint the entire background/level (and then shred it like you said), what screen size does the Intellivision use? I’ve been searching the program forums for the answer; I just don’t think I came across it yet.

The background is made of 8x8 tiles, 20 across by 12 high, for a total resolution of 159x96 pixels.  Each tile can have two different colours, with some limitations.  This page explains the technicals of Intellivision graphics.

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/jzintv/doc/programming/stic.txt

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...