IGNORED

To mod or not to mod.

GeekDragon

I've been toying with the idea of moding my light 6er to play on my 56" Samsung flat screen. I have also been thinking of streaming 2600 games, even though I have the 2 Atari Classics disks for Xbox 1, I still would like to stream some other games I have on original hardware(I already set up a Twitch account). So, should I mod or shouldn't I? Also, I have never done anything like this, so I need some advice about this before I start taking things apart.

If you don't have soldering/de-soldering experience, no. Lots of threads here showing peoples horror story hacks gone bad. There's a few guys here that routinely sell modded 2600's as they get them in. User Osgeld is one and come to think of it, has a modded 2600 that has a good a/v board in it that might still be available...

• Like 3

I have a 4 switcher on ebay and another on the desk that I have not posted yet, I have a light sixer but something's going on with it that I havent sat down to trouble shoot yet

my opinion is the 6 switch models are a pain in the arse, and every one I have modded required a tweak or two extra to get the formula right, its not hard mind you, but if you want to do a mod, go grab a cheap dirty 4 switch system off ebay and do that.

you can buy one that functions for 25~30$ shipped if you keep an eye out ... most untested or "broken" machines work for about the same price (any day of the week), but it sucks if you get one and its got a bad chip in it

Edited by Osgeld

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Female-F-Type-Coax-Adapter/dp/B000V1O1LM

then you plug your atari into the cable input of your TV and turn it to the appropriate channel (and with everyone having cable boxes that outputs HDMI, most people dont use the RF input anyway)

This is the easiest method if you don't want to mod. However, the picture quality is still going to be really bad, even compared to composite. Also, do you already have a plan on how to capture video from the VCS?

This is the easiest method if you don't want to mod. However, the picture quality is still going to be really bad, even compared to composite. Also, do you already have a plan on how to capture video from the VCS?

I don't know about picture quality on a 6er, but the RF quality on my JR is far superior to to the composite mods on my other consoles. My 7800 has the best looking picture of all my composite mods and my JR with RF still makes it look bad.

it depends on the mod, those transistor resistor mod's are eh and might require a bit of fiddling, and sometimes a machine just needs to be fiddled with to get it right with a good video amp, I mean it IS a 30 year old lowest production price possible toy, not nasa grade stuff were dealing with here

that being said, as my least favorite 2600 model the JR does have good RF output

Edited by Osgeld

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Female-F-Type-Coax-Adapter/dp/B000V1O1LM

then you plug your atari into the cable input of your TV and turn it to the appropriate channel (and with everyone having cable boxes that outputs HDMI, most people dont use the RF input anyway)

I use one of these adapters BUT my TV's internal RF components are so bad that the screen always rolls and has staticky audio if I plug it in directly. Apparently this isn't uncommon on newer TVs, as some manufacturers completely skimp on quality RF components. My workaround is using a VCR (purchased for $20) as a demodulator, which then outputs composite to the TV! Works like a charm and is certainly cheaper than a mod, but you'll obviously need space for a VCR.

Thanks for the input. I've heard on current flat screens the picture quality is crap becuase these systems are 30 years old and not made for current tv's thats why I was asking.

The higher resolution is the issue. The higher the resolution on the TV, the worse the picture will look. It's like the difference between watching a DVD or a Blu Ray on an HDTV. Modding the console will help the signal output, but it won't change the fact that the 2600 doesn't have HD output. If the RF signal is clean and working, there's really no need to mod it. It took me a while to get it through my head that I didn't need to mod every 2600 I got my hands on. I was under the impression that it was necessary if I wanted to play them on a HDTV. I didn't learn my lesson until I got my 2600 Jr.. The picture quality from the RF on it was far better than any of my modded 2600s or even my 7800. I did still consider modding it, since I bought it to take to friends houses and stuff. I figured it would be easier to connect with RCA cables than messing with the coax connection on other people's TVs, but I decided that if my friends wanted to play, they were going to have to deal with it. I also ran into a Vader that didn't look good with any of the mods I tried. I was going to save up and get a UAV board for it, but I never got around to it, so it's just sitting here collecting dust. It works great when connected to a CRT, so I figure I'll either sell it or pass it on to one of my friends who has a CRT to play it on.