IGNORED

Replicade mini arcade cabinet

Nathan Strum

I saw this earlier. I love the idea, but I worry about the trackball and how it will control. The few videos of the game do NOT show how well it controls and that really worries me....

I wish they would have started with Asteroids or Missile Command, since I have always sucked at Centipede. I am considering it, but I just don't like the game too much.

Would I buy one? No. It would just end up sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

And they'd probably be just fine with that. It seems like a collector-y thing.

I can't see me buying one. Certainly not at that price. And not Centipede anyway - I'm pretty poor at the full-sized game. Having a Barbie™-sized version sounds like it would be effectively impossible to control.

There are also some really cheap mini arcades now being sold through Cracker Barrel.

I am starting to think that the mini arcade games are going to become the newest fad, and I can see why. It gives you all of the aesthetics of a full-size machine at a size where you can create sort of a miniature game-room at doll-like scale.

The problem with the Cracker Barrel ones is the screen res sucks so you're not getting all the pixels. I'd prefer something that offers full playability rather than it just being little more than an animated prop. So this Centipede thing and potential followups has me intrigued.

But like I said, this could very well catch on in which case we could see others that offer better and better screens / fidelity. It just seems early days on what's gonna be a fad cycle.

Edited by mos6507

Hey all,

We are NewWaveToys (the creators of Replicade, the item this thread is about), and we are excited that our Kickstarter finally launched last week! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/529306246/replicade-mini-centipede-arcade-machine-replica-12

We are going for a truly authentic feel with our Centipede machine, just in 1/6th scale. It is completely licensed through Atari, which allows us to use all the original art as well as the original ROM.

If you have any questions about the Centipede machine or anything else, feel free to ask! (although I may not be able to answer everything).

• 1 month later...

I do recommend his channel. It never really dawned on me how many analog audio/video formats came and went until I started watching his channel. Consumer electronics in the 20th century was defined by this endless cavalcade of formats. Sometimes I forget how much excitement there used to be about storing audio and video onto physical media (which I guess bridges straight over to the eventual digital treadmill, ROMs, floppies, hd, optical, flash).

Now everything's digital and other than the recent HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle and then Flash vs. HTML5 there's not a lot of format warfare anymore.

Edited by mos6507