IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard Pre-order & Interest Thread

MacRorie

OSH Park is not looking like an option for this board!! YIKES!!!

James

OshPark is not an option based on price alone. Remember this is a 4 layer 170mm x 170mm board. Oshpark is good for small sized 2 layer boards that you don't want very many of. The prices are astronomical for this type of board.

Try ALLPCB.com or EASYEDA.com. Yes they are in China, and yes fast shipping costs, but their actual board costs can't be beat.

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 1

Folks,

I see the interest here and will get back to all of you once I have boards in hand. It is a big project and I want to make sure it gets done correctly. I am always contactable. My .sig has multiple ways to contact me, so I will be around.

• Like 1

Gerber files were published in Michael’s original thread two days ago. The $300 price range includes the U1MB, UAV and all the chips and parts, as I understand it.

Indeed, it does. Economies of scale affect just about every part of it.

• Like 1

Interested in a bare board (if PAL is available yet).

For me that would be more of a "just in case" thing. I don't think I'm going to build that anytime soon as I didn't even install the majority of the other upgrades I bought over the years for lack of time. But I want to be sure I can build up a new machine when required.

I have followed the main thread on and off but have not read every post. It would be great if you could post the latest design summary and maybe the BOM.

If there's stuff on the BOM (apart from the VLSIs) that is hard to come by, it would be nice to have an "intermediate" package which includes the board and "hard to find" components.

As mentioned in the other threads and the beta group I will commit to one full kit. (If the 3d cases work well I may be interested in just a case later)

For those wondering on price for a full kit. I am part of the Beta group and to get everything together as an individual purchase cost me a lot of time and aggravation and money. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, but more as a way to say that the $300 estimated kit price is definitely in the realm of normal.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone's completed boards.

• Like 1

As mentioned in the other threads and the beta group I will commit to one full kit. (If the 3d cases work well I may be interested in just a case later)

For those wondering on price for a full kit. I am part of the Beta group and to get everything together as an individual purchase cost me a lot of time and aggravation and money. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, but more as a way to say that the $300 estimated kit price is definitely in the realm of normal.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone's completed boards.

People should also keep in mind that the estimated kit price includes everything that is needed to build a complete working board from scratch. Speaking of which, I also see it has been suggested that an abbreviated version be offered in both kit and assembled versions that would leave out the Atari VLSI chips and/or the U1MB/UAV plug-in modules. If there was a website specifically setup to accept orders, I could see doing something with check boxes to make this selective process easier to accomplish. And it does have merit, since not everyone needs the UAV if they plan to only drive video output with a Sophia or VBXE, and have no interest in composite/S-Video. And some people already have a donor U1MB and/or the Atari chips available which would dramatically reduce the cost. But this is MacRorie's undertaking, and one that I'm truly grateful for him to take on, so ultimately it is his decision on what form this pre-order will become.

I too am very interested to see this project out in the wild, and what people will do with it. There are certainly some exciting times ahead!

- Michael

• Like 4