IGNORED

Found: Asteroids cocktail at Goodwill!

Rob Mitchell

Yeah .. I’m pretty stoked about this one. I paid $199.

The OxycClean UV Process is pinned at the top of the AtariAge 8-bit section.

Nice score!! $199 for that, even "not fully working" is a really good deal, and cocktails were produced in much lower numbers than uprights. Congrats on getting it working again!

• 4 weeks later...

Does it make humming sounds? I did a post the other day on here about details on mine humming. I think it's just noises from the vector output. I'm curious if mine has an issue or not. It sounds basically like the humming noise you get from a Vectrex if you've ever heard that.

I got mine on Craigslist for $300.00 a couple years ago. It was pretty clean and working. But a side piece of wood where the control panel is was broken off so I had to bondo that. Then I replaced all of the buttons. Did some paint touch up. Replaced the lock and key. Then I stumbled on NOS glass table top with original underlay artwork on eBay for $200.00. I sold my scratched one for the same price! It's like brand new now.

I put the multigame kit in as well but the roms he uses are the newer ones that were released later to make the game more difficult so the game got tougher. There's a few versions. The older one has a delay before the ships start firing at you. The newer one fires immediately at you and and fires back at you after it passes by you. Another version I think fires immediately but doesnt fire back at you after passing by, it just keeps firing forward. I think firing back at you actually makes it easier because the bullets dont wrap around to the other side of the screen. I think Blazes version fires immediately AND doesn't fire back at you so it's a lot harder.

Before I put the multigame kit in my high score was 205,000. Now I can't even get to the 100,000 mark. Makes me want to put the thing back the way it was sometimes ?

Edited by sideburn

• 1 month later...

It looks and plays like new! My wife and I are so pleased how this restoration turned out .. she and I play it competitively almost every evening!

That is awesome! I've got a Lunar Lander cabinet that I've had for nearly 34 years, and I "piggy-backed" an Asteroids harness to the original one so I could easily swap games. One day, the monitor went out, so I recapped it.... still not working, but worse yet is that the whole cabinet isn't working now. It was playing blind, but now I'm not capable of doing any soldering work on these things as my hands shake too much.

Once I get my Disability money rolling in, I'm going to have to pay Buffet to fix it. I'm not doing anything to the marquee or artwork, it will simply be a board and CP swap to switch between games. I know of the Multi-game board, but I've already got both boards, so it seems like a waste of money, as I'm not a huge fan of Asteroids Deluxe.

Does it make humming sounds? I did a post the other day on here about details on mine humming. I think it's just noises from the vector output. I'm curious if mine has an issue or not. It sounds basically like the humming noise you get from a Vectrex if you've ever heard that.

I got mine on Craigslist for $300.00 a couple years ago. It was pretty clean and working. But a side piece of wood where the control panel is was broken off so I had to bondo that. Then I replaced all of the buttons. Did some paint touch up. Replaced the lock and key. Then I stumbled on NOS glass table top with original underlay artwork on eBay for $200.00. I sold my scratched one for the same price! It's like brand new now.

I put the multigame kit in as well but the roms he uses are the newer ones that were released later to make the game more difficult so the game got tougher. There's a few versions. The older one has a delay before the ships start firing at you. The newer one fires immediately at you and and fires back at you after it passes by you. Another version I think fires immediately but doesnt fire back at you after passing by, it just keeps firing forward. I think firing back at you actually makes it easier because the bullets dont wrap around to the other side of the screen. I think Blazes version fires immediately AND doesn't fire back at you so it's a lot harder.

Before I put the multigame kit in my high score was 205,000. Now I can't even get to the 100,000 mark. Makes me want to put the thing back the way it was sometimes ?

Have you replaced the Big Blue capacitor? My Lunar Lander was making a humming noise like that, and it turned out to be a symptom of that cap going bad.