IGNORED

RealSports Curling: Portland 2017 demo

Ryan Witmer

Here is the first playable build of RealSports Curling, available just in time for the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

This demo is very bare-bones and still rather buggy, but here's what works and what doesn't:

portland 17

THE GOOD:

Shooting feels good, generally. I'm very happy with the current ice physics. I spent a good twenty minutes this morning just throwing rocks and I made some really cool shots and was able to place guards pretty reliably. It takes some finesse to get things where you want, but with practice you'll be throwing like a pro.

The collision is good... sometimes. When it works, it works pretty well, but when it doesn't...

The scoring algorithm appears to work, although I think it might be misjudging the back of the house by one pixel.

THE BAD:

The collision system when it doesn't work. I still need to do a lot of work here. Sometimes collisions just don't register and rocks will plow through each other, erasing themselves on the way through. Other times there are other weird behaviors, like rocks just taking off to the left for no apparent reason, although this is really funny when it happens, so at least you'll laugh.

The curl part of the shooting process is unsatisfactory. I have some ideas for a different system, but for now, it is what it is.

THE UGLY:

The unsightly blob of pixels holding the rock is a slightly more advanced placeholder for a shooter than I had previously.

Sweeping is not yet implemented, so all you can do is shoot and pray.

There is one rule I haven't implemented yet, and that's the "free guard zone." Look it up if you're interested, I'm not going to explain it here.

There is no end-of-game check right now. If you throw past the 10th end, I have no idea what will happen, but it almost certainly won't be good.

I plan to have this demo on my person when I'm at the Portland show on Saturday. I'll be there for a few hours in the middle of the day, so if you see a tall guy with glasses and a ponytail wearing a white Pole Position shirt, ask me about RealSports Curling. I'll talk your ear off.

The attached file includes the ROM and the complete assembly source. Have fun and hurry hard!

rs_curling.zip

• Like 9

Here is the first playable build of RealSports Curling, available just in time for the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

This demo is very bare-bones and still rather buggy, but here's what works and what doesn't:

THE GOOD:

Shooting feels good, generally. I'm very happy with the current ice physics. I spent a good twenty minutes this morning just throwing rocks and I made some really cool shots and was able to place guards pretty reliably. It takes some finesse to get things where you want, but with practice you'll be throwing like a pro.

The collision is good... sometimes. When it works, it works pretty well, but when it doesn't...

The scoring algorithm appears to work, although I think it might be misjudging the back of the house by one pixel.

THE BAD:

The collision system when it doesn't work. I still need to do a lot of work here. Sometimes collisions just don't register and rocks will plow through each other, erasing themselves on the way through. Other times there are other weird behaviors, like rocks just taking off to the left for no apparent reason, although this is really funny when it happens, so at least you'll laugh.

The curl part of the shooting process is unsatisfactory. I have some ideas for a different system, but for now, it is what it is.

THE UGLY:

The unsightly blob of pixels holding the rock is a slightly more advanced placeholder for a shooter than I had previously.

Sweeping is not yet implemented, so all you can do is shoot and pray.

There is one rule I haven't implemented yet, and that's the "free guard zone." Look it up if you're interested, I'm not going to explain it here.

There is no end-of-game check right now. If you throw past the 10th end, I have no idea what will happen, but it almost certainly won't be good.

I plan to have this demo on my person when I'm at the Portland show on Saturday. I'll be there for a few hours in the middle of the day, so if you see a tall guy with glasses and a ponytail wearing a white Pole Position shirt, ask me about RealSports Curling. I'll talk your ear off.

The attached file includes the ROM and the complete assembly source. Have fun and hurry hard!

As a Minnesotan, this is appreciated! But you should name it Real Sports Olympic Curling! :)

Is AtariAge going to publish this game? Or going to be in the store?

Al?????

My previous game was published here, and I would much like to see this one published too, but it's still a long way from being done, so there are no concrete plans yet.

Even if it isn't formally published, the final ROM and source code will be freely available for anyone that wants it.

• Like 2

I really miss Tim Hortons since moving from Buffalo. I'm surprised they don't have a presence here in Seattle.

I'm surprised they had it in Buffalo, unless you crossed the Canadian border to get there. Then again, the last time I was thereabouts was 2007. I remember they were everywhere in Toronto.

• 3 weeks later...