IGNORED

Vampire tracking - Did it work for you?

eightbit

I paid for my Vampire on the 10th and Igor provided me with tracking the next day. But the Russian tracking website only shows the package was accepted and then left the post office. No further tracking is available and USPS has no record of it. I am not worried and am sure it will arrive at some point, but I am just wondering if others had the same tracking experience?

You don't track Russian package. Russian package tracks you! :rolling:

I wouldn't be worried about international tracking at all these days. The thing will show when it shows. Eventually. And always a little later than you expect. Or sooner. But rarely. haha

And no, I didn't pay attention to the tracking on mine. When this stuff gets held up in customs, no info available while it sits for days or weeks. Next time you check, will probably show up at your nearest distribution center. Yeah, right. With the way USPS is run these days, nearest to you is probably somewhere in the Midwest. lol A slight exaggeration maybe, but you catch my drift. :)

• Like 2

The Vampire is in...WOOHOO! Got a nifty Kipper2k CPU slot adapter so that the Vampire didn't have to be crushed under the power supply chassis, a long (a bit too long) 2.5 IDE cable running to a CF to IDE adapter so that it can be accessed from the outside, a IDC cable running from the Vampire to the outside just in case of bricking, a right angle slim HDMI cable so that the case can close. I think that's about it. Now I have to figure out what I am doing..haha ;)

post-21417-0-39708300-1509246984_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-41094900-1509246997_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-41664700-1509247016_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-19118600-1509247029_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-15864000-1509247040_thumb.jpg

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Congrats! Hell of an A2000 setup you have there, similar to my own. :love:

Thanks! I have been messing with ApolloOS and wondering why there are some PFS errors when accessing the WHDLoad directory. Now, I check the torrent again for ApolloOS and it is labeled "fixed". Guess I have to download again ;)

This device is really damn awesome though. Mac emulator stuff works awesomely. After one day with it I have to say I am in love ;)

And I have to add that your suggestions in the other thread made preparing for this install (and the install itself) go extremely smoothly. Thank you again.

Edited by eightbit

Glad to hear it! Am not familiar with the PFS (checksum?) errors as they haven't popped up for me. Usually need to tweak the max transfer value though when getting those. Should know off the top of my head what that value (1xfffe or something like that) is by now, but it's out there on the interwebs and Amiga forums...

As I suspected, the previous ApolloOS R43 download has an issue with the file system. The "fixed" version (distinguished by the "fixed" in the torrent name) works fine. Wish they would have written something in the changelog, but oh well. It works so darn good and it was a relief that I can obtain a complete OS with everything I want working right from the get go.

As I suspected, the previous ApolloOS R43 download has an issue with the file system. The "fixed" version (distinguished by the "fixed" in the torrent name) works fine. Wish they would have written something in the changelog, but oh well. It works so darn good and it was a relief that I can obtain a complete OS with everything I want working right from the get go.

Where do we find the "fixed" version?

Also, I've been wanting to not use a cf card or cf card adaptor (currently using) but instead use an SSD.

Any suggestions on getting the image on an SSD?

Where do we find the "fixed" version?

Also, I've been wanting to not use a cf card or cf card adaptor (currently using) but instead use an SSD.

Any suggestions on getting the image on an SSD?

https://apolloos.weebly.com/

You'll notice the torrent is labeled "fixed". One thing they did not "fix" however is the fact that the folder containing the WHDLoad games is missing the folder .info files (ie: 0.info, a.info, etc). Just copy them from the WHDLoad demos folder to the games folder and that fixes that problem ;)

Getting it to an SSD should be easy. I suspect you can use Win32DiskImager (what I use to get it to the CF) *if* you connect the SSD externally to a USB enclosure of some type. This is only because Win32DiskImager (at least the latest version) only allows imaging to removable media...probably for protective measures ;)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

There are other tools out there as well (like plain old DD in linux). As long as it is imaged to the drive it will be fine, but the drive will then be partitioned to the 32GB image size (with the rest left unallocated)

• Like 1

I should also add what I use (in case you decide to go to CF):

For the card itself:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SNLR45W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the external CF adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T9QQP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This comes with a bracket to swap out the 3.5 bay portion so it can mount to one of the rear slots on the A2000 (if you are using an A2000). It is the best version of these types of devices IMHO...I have tried dozens :) It has a more robust mechanism, has an LED header that works with the HDD light on the A2000 and has the 44 pin IDE (as well as 40 pin)

And this cable to get from the vampire to the adapter...which is a bitch to find. Not many long 44 pin cables out there!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/44-pin-Flexible-IDE-ATA-Hard-Drive-Cable-for-2-5-HDD-23-1-2/201911929258?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

As you would guess, the one sold is me ;) Very niche cable but glad I found one! Admittedly I did not need it THIS long, but all I could find was this, or a short 6 inch cable that almost made it but not quite. I suppose I could have made one but I am not very good at making cables.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

I noticed the *fixed* today in the torrent name. i currently have things on CF card, i just wanted to try SSD for reliability and speed. 32GB SSd for $35 plus the cost of an IDE to SATA adaptor. Once I finish the download I'm going to give the imaging a shot. I use win32imager to get the image to cf, I have a USB/SATA converter so it would be interesting to see if it will apply the image to the ssd. I may be a week or so away from trying. I'm in the middle of an ATX tower conversion for my A500.

EDIT: Thank you.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

The Vampire is in...WOOHOO! Got a nifty Kipper2k CPU slot adapter so that the Vampire didn't have to be crushed under the power supply chassis...

I took a look at the Kipper adapter as well, but I was concerned about having my V2 hanging out in the breeze. What keeps yours from working its way out?

I took a look at the Kipper adapter as well, but I was concerned about having my V2 hanging out in the breeze. What keeps yours from working its way out?

Working its way out? It's probably the opposite. The Vampire's machine pins are well set into the adapter. I suspect if I ever want to take it off it will be a PITA ;) The card then sits firmly in the slot. Rest assured it is not going anywhere.