IGNORED

Why I decided to auction off my outsized, decades-built collection

I almost hit bid on the Another World + Aircars + D2K + Towers II + other Jag game lot. Something funny happened with a retracted bid and I paused...then it went for tiny $225. Biggest steal of the decade I think.

Still, I can't complain about what I 'accidentally' purchased and for how much...I'm a bit concerned about shipping costs, but oh well ;)

• Like 1

Yep, as expected, some stuff was incredibly disappointing while other stuff went for more than expected. It seems that the crowd is more into software than hardware.

Was there ever the promised live stream? I checked their Facebook and Twitter and found nothing. I also am curious as to how the 64 online lots were selected. It seemed like there was a lot more valuable stuff in many of the pictures I saw than what ended up being available for the online auction. Wasn't it originally supposed to be the "100 most valuable lots"? Is there a final list of lots sold and the prices for historical reference?

• Like 1

Was there ever the promised live stream? I checked their Facebook and Twitter and found nothing. I also am curious as to how the 64 online lots were selected. It seemed like there was a lot more valuable stuff in many of the pictures I saw than what ended up being available for the online auction. Wasn't it originally supposed to be the "100 most valuable lots"? Is there a final list of lots sold and the prices for historical reference?

I don't know why they didn't start the live stream. I know that they started the auction later than they wanted. I'm not there, so I don't really know specifics, just second-hand stuff.

The original plan was to put 100 of the better items online, not necessarily the best. I gave them a big list of candidates, which they partially referenced, and then they put up some selections of their own. I don't know why it was limited to 64. Perhaps they felt they could better onsite with some of the more valuable stuff for whatever reason.

I believe Bodnar's posts highlight prices at some point, but I don't believe they post the final sale prices for all of the items. I won't know myself for a bit either, although I did total what the 64 lots went for.

The auction was awesome, but it sure did take a long time. It finished a little after 2AM.

Bill, you just had an incredible collection. I doubt I'll see such a great collection for sale ever again.

Anyway I picked up the Atari Portfolio, an old Windows ME MIPS laptop (will be putting on MIPS linux) and box full of plug and plays (Mrs.PacMan, Pacman, Space Invaders, Frogger) , Intellivision Flashback, Coleco flashback, German USB stick with Amiga games) .

There were a bunch of freebie boxes (those who bought a box and did not want some of the contents) so picked up lots of A/V, usb, power, vga cables, surge protectors, CD jewel cases etc...

Edited by thetick1

The auction was awesome, but it sure did take a long time, It finished a little after 2AM.

Bill, you just had an incredible collection. I doubt I'll see such a great collection for sale ever again.

Anyway I picked up the Atari Portfolio, an old Windows ME MIPS laptop (will be putting on MIPS linux) and box full of plug and plays (Mrs.PacMan, Pacman, Space Invaders, Frogger) , Intellivision Flashback, Coleco flashback, German USB stick with Amiga games) .

There were a bunch of freebie boxes (those who bought a box and did not want some of the contents) so picked up lots of A/V, usb, power, vga cables, surge protectors, CD jewel cases etc...

Any chance you could give us some details about how the auction went? I'm curious to hear how many people attended and if anything went for crazy high or low amounts in your opinion.

Any chance you could give us some details about how the auction went? I'm curious to hear how many people attended and if anything went for crazy high or low amounts in your opinion.

The Atari Falcon is what I remember going high.. over $700. There was a GameCube that sold for I think $325 as it had a video mod. Heath Zenith Hero JR RT1 went for a shocking $400. The biggest suprise to me was $825 for Apple II Ultima games ..WTF? There was small lot of DS games that I was looking to buy very cheap like $10 or maybe $20. One or more must be valuable as I think it sold for $180. I don't why the text based Scott Adams TS-80 games went for $180 and $150... seem to me they should be $5 max. I have same games on my VIC-20 and you can get them for a few dollars.

I though the two Commodore SX-64 went very low. One went for $70 and I really should have bid on it. The old luggable Kaypros all four of them I think went together for only $5 . The large heavy luggable PCs (Kaypro Osborne and CPM machines) all went extremely cheap.

You can see the online auction results at:

https://connect.invaluable.com/bodnar/auction-catalog/the-history-of-gaming-collection_UUHLDM91IS

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I saw the article on Arstechnica. I was in no position to bid on anything (financials and logistics), but that was a very impressive collection.

The article had some links to the other stores, including what you kept. Glad to see you kept the Vectrex. It is unique and hard to find in that condition. I wish I had kept my Commodore 128. It is versatile, but I just wasn't using it anymore.

I'd like to know how it went from your point of view as well.

Doesn't seem that link lists everything....

Doesn't seem that link lists everything....

There was never a master list of everything, or really a perfect source of photos for everything, although the 350+ set that was posted to Facebook did a pretty good job.

In terms of how it went, I don't have final figures yet (hopefully this coming week I'll get some numbers). As expected for this type of thing and the format and place, some stuff did quite well, while other stuff went for a song and/or was practically given away. Those are the breaks. For whatever reason, the software seemed to be the bigger seller and the hardware sold poorly. I suspect I'll end up with maybe 1/3 at best of what I would have gotten if it were somehow logistically possible to list everything on eBay in some manner.

• Like 2

There was never a master list of everything, or really a perfect source of photos for everything, although the 350+ set that was posted to Facebook did a pretty good job.

In terms of how it went, I don't have final figures yet (hopefully this coming week I'll get some numbers). As expected for this type of thing and the format and place, some stuff did quite well, while other stuff went for a song and/or was practically given away. Those are the breaks. For whatever reason, the software seemed to be the bigger seller and the hardware sold poorly. I suspect I'll end up with maybe 1/3 at best of what I would have gotten if it were somehow logistically possible to list everything on eBay in some manner.

Yeah, seeing it all laid out it seems it would easily take years to list it all and sell it all. Just looking at all the pictures was a commitment.

You got what you wanted - you are out from under that pile of stuff and someone else did most of the work. On top of that, the things that went for a "song" likely went to knowledgeable people who will use or sell it to other knowledgeable people, so I'm guessing almost everything that moved will be preserved.

I underestimated the amount of stuff you had. Seeing it all in the final days makes me wish I had made the effort to get up there and just attend the auction. There probably will never be another collection like it ever auctioned off like that again (certainly not exactly the same).

• Like 1

Well given the HW seems to have been the loser I wonder if when you have time you may be able to list the say top 20/30 HW disappointments.

Something like the HW type (or bundle), the fair market value and then what it fetched on auction.

Was that only computer HW that got mostly lower than expected bids or also consoles?

I was wondering if mixing the 2 together may have not been the best choice. But I may be wrong.

Also how was the attendance wrt the expected attendance? If 1K people were expected but only say 300 showed up .....

The auction lasted 11 hours. At the height there were maybe around 60 people. But at any given time there was usually 20-40 people actually in the bidding area able to bid. Of the people I talked to, one guy took off two days of work and drove from Maryland. Some people came from Philadelphia. I got the impression that there were a lot of local people, and that 2-3 hours was the maximum anyone drove to get there. It wasn't practical to fly because you have no way to get the stuff back to where you live. The heavy and bulky stuff was generally where you would get the deals.

By the the last few hours it was down to 15-30 people, so prices stayed low because few people were there to bid against you. Even during the middle hours when many people were there, you weren't prepared and paying attention for the entire 11 hours, so you wouldn't be bidding, which let the people paying attention get really good deals. I was paying attention during stuff I was interested in such as Atari and Commodore, and not paying attention while random computers I never heard of were being auctioned. Other people had their own priorities.

SNES Games, Apple II games, and other stuff people were waiting and preparing for, went for higher prices.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 2

Guys, I took some video at the event. Here it is along with my voiceover commentary (which touches on some of the questions asked above), if anyone's interested:

For what it's worth, there was a guy there who flew in from Toronto, as well as someone who flew in with his wife from Tampa, Florida.

Hold on first off "the resellers ruined some of it". When people say stuff like that it just really irks me. If you have a HUGE auction listed months in advance and had people fly in from multiple states and a different country anyone who bought something to resell didn't ruin anything. If people let stuff go that cheap that is there own fault. I always say if you as a collector refuse to pay more than a reseller then that is a problem! I do love how you know for a fact which people were resellers based solely on their bidding and purchasing!

I really liked the video until you said that. Moving on I never seen much console stuff in any of the pics I looked at, I viewed this as mostly a computer media auction myself.

LOL@ the end. "Not really a lot of huge bargains to be had unless you were a reseller". LMAO, are you high?

Yep, as expected, some stuff was incredibly disappointing while other stuff went for more than expected. It seems that the crowd is more into software than hardware.

Software IMHO is what creates the memories, the nostalgia. It gives personality to the console. And collectors will spend more time chasing after carts/tapes/disks than they do consoles simply because there is more.

It even works that way for emulation too!

Hold on first off "the resellers ruined some of it". When people say stuff like that it just really irks me. If you have a HUGE auction listed months in advance and had people fly in from multiple states and a different country anyone who bought something to resell didn't ruin anything. If people let stuff go that cheap that is there own fault. I always say if you as a collector refuse to pay more than a reseller then that is a problem! I do love how you know for a fact which people were resellers based solely on their bidding and purchasing!

I really liked the video until you said that. Moving on I never seen much console stuff in any of the pics I looked at, I viewed this as mostly a computer media auction myself.

LOL@ the end. "Not really a lot of huge bargains to be had unless you were a reseller". LMAO, are you high?

Why are you making assumptions about how I know what I know? I spoke to the resellers (I spoke to most of the people there), and they told me that they were resellers.

Obviously, resellers are allowed to buy whatever they want, but in several cases they inexplicably paid above market value. Also, the one specific reseller I mention in the video bought about half the auction on his own. That was what I meant about ruining some of it. The guy had such deep pockets (and several people there working with him to cart the stuff away), that it hurt the experience for others who came to have a good time and maybe increase their collection a bit. He really didn't leave much for anyone else.

I don't understand your last comment.

Obviously, resellers are allowed to buy whatever they want, but in several cases they inexplicably paid above market value.

I don't understand your last comment.

See the bold, now you do! If they paid MORE than market value how is that a "huge bargain". A reseller buys to make money! They do not pay more than market value. That's just simple economics.

See the bold, now you do! If they paid MORE than market value how is that a "huge bargain". A reseller buys to make money! They do not pay more than market value. That's just simple economics.

Correct, those were obviously not the bargains. :)

The place where they got the bargains was when people got tired of bidding against them since they seemed to always win anyway, and they were able to pick a few lots up cheaply.